Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2012, 02:19 PM   #1
swk
Winnebago Camper

Microwave vent noise

The outdoor exhaust vent for the microwave\convention oven has a hanging flap to keep wind and critters out. Previous RV's I have owned had small latches on the corners to secure the flap during travel.

On my Winnebago Tour there is no way I can see to secure the flap and when traveling and the wind causes the flap to bang constantly. Very annoying. How is the flap supposed to be secured?
swk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:37 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

This is kind of funny. Ours does the same exact thing. Every time I get home, I forget about it and not do anything about the "banging around" until we're out on the next trip and it starts all over again. That vent flap is supposed to be very flexable with no restrictions so that it can move with the use of the vent fan. So, at this point in time, I'm not sure of just what can be done. I'll keep thinking of a solution.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:12 PM   #3
swk
Winnebago Camper

That is what would always happen to me but I remembered this time. There appears to be a strip of black velcro along the bottom of the flap but that doesn't seem correct and the flap is not sealing against the velcro. I would not want it sealed anyway as I know is has to pop open to vent when the oven is in use.

I also don't want to have to get on a ladder to reach a latch to open the vent. There must be some other solution or something is missing on this coach which I bought used.

Until I come up with something else I will jam a small piece of foam in the vent slot while traveling and pull it out when arriving at the destination.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:55 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Mine did that when new also. I put a strip of "stick-on" foam insulation along the bottom inside edge of the flap. It's about 1/4" wide and 1/8" thick. Been on there for 8 years now - no rattles and it ventilates the stove and micro just fine. I suspect it still flaps some, but it doesn't make any noise...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:59 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I used a piece of 1/2 pipe insulation tapered with electrical tape to form something that looks like a carrot. I can insert it between the flapper and the weather shield with a tapered broomstick inserted into the end that is not taped.

It solves the problem and has not fallen out in 70K miles.

I also use the stick with a dishwashing sponge attached by a section of heater hose to clean the rear camera from the ground.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:27 PM   #6
swk
Winnebago Camper

I was hoping someone had a more eloquent solution but think I will try tomsm solution. Hard to believe a coach of this value would not have a better design.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:38 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Are you sure its the vent exhaust? I'm having the same issue. I believe that little piece of velco is there just to cushion that flap. I think what's really making my noise/rattling is the metal cover for the access to the stove pilot and fridge but I don't know that for 100%.
CbtEngr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent