Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-10-2022, 06:01 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Maxxair trouble

Hi, I have a Maxxair fan that stopped. While checking it out, I found that pushing up in the motor shaft made it run. Let gravity bring it back down and the motor stops. I'm thinking that maybe there is a thrust washer or thrust bearing worn out that lets the shaft drop. Just a guess there. Any suggestions as to what might correct the problem short of replacement?
Thanks, Chuck
ChckNDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 08:28 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChckNDee View Post
Hi, I have a Maxxair fan that stopped. While checking it out, I found that pushing up in the motor shaft made it run. Let gravity bring it back down and the motor stops. I'm thinking that maybe there is a thrust washer or thrust bearing worn out that lets the shaft drop. Just a guess there. Any suggestions as to what might correct the problem short of replacement?
Thanks, Chuck
Have you called customer support? https://www.airxcel.com/rv/maxxair/contact-us
Old 04-21-2022, 02:02 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Checking with the company is a good idea but there may also be another way to look at it.

What you are saying is that it looks like the drag from a bad bearing, etc. is keeping the fan from running but there is likely to be an error in that unless there is more to the story.
Bad bearings and drag causing the fan not to run will automatically create a very high current flow to the motor. This high current to the motor will quickly do one of two things. The motor will get hot and " burn up" or if things are fused right, the fuse or breaker will trip.
If pushing up makes it run and it stops when left hanging, I would first look for a loose connection. But that is assuming we have the full story?

Electronics have a habit of doing weird things if things get loose.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 04:07 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Chuck, I know you said "I have a Maxxair fan that stopped." But to clarify, is it the fan in the living area or bathroom? The bathroom exhaust fan motor is fairly easy and inexpensive to replace.
Old 04-25-2022, 06:48 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

How old is the fan? We're there any signs of trouble before or was it a sudden stop?
Old 04-26-2022, 05:13 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Bad wire connection somewhere is the most likely cause IMO. Larry 2014 Reyo P
ldfeat is offline   Reply With Quote