Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2022, 10:00 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

LP Furnace while towing

am traveling into colder weather and concerned about freezing water lines while towing. I've run refrigerator on LP while towing for several years without any trouble at all. Is it OK to turn furnace on, and set at 44F (lowest setting I think) while towing? 2018 Micro Minnie 2108DS
KGs2108DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 12:56 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

It's always a debate as some want ALL propane turned off as they may live qwhere tunnels reque it and they feel it safer. But then there are millions of folks who ONLY turn the propane opff when required like tunnels and refilling.

My thought is that we leave things on including the furnace as we DO want the frig to run on propane while moving. To me the hazards of an open propane line compared to the disaster of wrecking the vehicle neough to open the line is not that much added hazard compared to the benefits gained!

But I also do recommend looking at the back of things if the frig or furnace stick out where wind may whip the fire around more.
I don't want to let a bunch of spider webs, wasp nests, leaves and other debris floating around in that space whether driving or just parked, so I clean things out to hold fire hazards down.

When towing, I never felt extra fire hazard was near the top of the hazard list!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 06:23 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

All LP appliances designed for use in an RV are also designed to to be safe for use while moving.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 05:46 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

No problem running furnace in transit. Been doing it for decades when making a run south.
BVThunder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, furnace, tow, towing