Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-28-2022, 03:49 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Little help-AC duct's insulation splitting

I have a 2008 itasca suncruiser 35A that the AC duct work, behind the end cap, has the adhesive and tape coming loose from being wrapped around duct work. The attached pictures were taken from beneath the rig looking up behind the endcap.

We have not really felt a difference in the AC and heat but it is not yet the mid summer heat that we encounter in our travels.

I have a quote of $5500 to remove the cap and retape the duct work. I am concerned not only with the expense for a 13 yr old MH, but also that I have full paint that may be effected if the back cap is taken off.

I have consulted Winnebago and they had no ideas but to pull the cap, repair, and make corrections to the paint as needed.

I am looking at alternatives. I am looking at using closed cell spray foam insulation to encase the duct work like what is being done on some residential and commercial duct work. I do have a spray foam insulation gun with an extended nozzle of 36 inches so I can reach most, if not all, of the duct work.

Has anyone had this issue? Thoughts on using the spray foam versus taking the cap off and retaping?

Appreciate any help or ideas

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220128_003.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	182133   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220128_004.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	182134  

Old 02-28-2022, 04:43 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Gets talked about often.

Here's a thread with a lot more info:

Air conditioner duct inside rear cap leaking

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 04:43 PM   #3
Site Team

I had my rear cap knocked loose in an accident when a pole in the storage yard leaped out and hit the rear of the coach.

When this happened the top of the cap stayed connected and only the mounts near the bottom half were completely knocked loose. I could lift the bottom out away from the lower part of the coach.

There's not a lot holding on the rear cap... but you'd have to remove the vinyl trim on the sides to reveal the screws holding the sides on. AND, that vinyl trim is painted to the body color. So, if you remove the cap you'd at least have to have the vinyl trim repainted. I don't think you could remove that trim without cracking the paint on it since it's flexible... and the paint isn't.

My entire repair was $28,000 but I damaged more painted surfaces than just trim. So, $5000 doesn't sound bad, well, it does, but not in comparison. But I'm sure you'd have another $2,000 or more in paint charges.

Here's my rear cap coming off:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2903.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	326.8 KB
ID:	182135  
Old 03-22-2022, 03:57 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Repaired

Thanks for information. I ended up using the adhesive and then re-taped with extra thick 3m tape that my HVAC repairman recommended and is used to seal residential HVAC ducts.

It took a few trips up and down a ladder to access the top of the duct. I used an extension pole with a cutdown paint pad base to reach other areas of the duct while laying under the rig.

After repair, I checked for any air leaks both by hand and laser thermometer. No leaks were detected

Hopefully I get another 13 yrs before I need to address again

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction for help
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20220320_190156[1].jpg
Views:	42
Size:	256.9 KB
ID:	182314   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220320_190300[1].jpg
Views:	41
Size:	225.2 KB
ID:	182315  

Name:	20220320_190206[1].jpg
Views:	39
Size:	324.4 KB
ID:	182316  
Old 03-23-2022, 03:07 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I had my rear cap knocked loose in an accident when a pole in the storage yard leaped out and hit the rear of the coach.

When this happened the top of the cap stayed connected and only the mounts near the bottom half were completely knocked loose. I could lift the bottom out away from the lower part of the coach.

There's not a lot holding on the rear cap... but you'd have to remove the vinyl trim on the sides to reveal the screws holding the sides on. AND, that vinyl trim is painted to the body color. So, if you remove the cap you'd at least have to have the vinyl trim repainted. I don't think you could remove that trim without cracking the paint on it since it's flexible... and the paint isn't.

My entire repair was $28,000 but I damaged more painted surfaces than just trim. So, $5000 doesn't sound bad, well, it does, but not in comparison. But I'm sure you'd have another $2,000 or more in paint charges.

Here's my rear cap coming off:

Looks like you were trying to convert your Winnie into a Toy Hauler