Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-01-2021, 07:07 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Hot Water tank check valves

on my 2004 Adventurer the output check valve on the hot water tank failed on a trip. I pulled it and removed the plastic valve to get hot water following for the trip. Ordered two. Was able to reach in behind the hot water tank. Have to do this mostly by feel.

Just installed them. The output valve wasn't all that bad with a 1 inch socket. The input valve had me for a bit. At first I thought I needed a 1 inch deep wall socket. Then I found out there was a fitting on the end of the check valve. Appears to be 1 1/8. I used a 27MM and got it off. Then I could remove the check valve.

The output connection to the plastic line leaked but I was able to fix that by tightening the plastic fitting.

Two questions.

1. On the end of the check valve was a rubber seal. It sits down inside the check valve and seals the connection to the plastic lines. I would like to replace those but unsure what it is called or a part number?

2. Is there a wrench to tighten those plastic line fittings? I used a pair of channel lock but they dig into the plastic a good bit. I found this part number in a Winnebago parts PDF but not sure.

800042-01-000 3/8” x 1/2” Waterline Wrench
Old 09-01-2021, 08:57 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

No help on the part as it doesn't show on the drawings but there is a note to use tape on the fittings. Any chnce you might not have got that part sealed and can't see it to spot the problem? Know what you mean on working blind and by feel! Not good!

On the wrench, I find an "adjustable (Crescent?) wrench is good to avoid tearing the fitting. A small one for the small spaces? You often don't want too much torque to avoid breaking the plastic, so small is good!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Stanley-...367L/311368868
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 09:03 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I searched and others have mentioned that O-ring or gasket. But no one has identified a replacement. The ones on my check valves that I transferred to the new check valves were ok but I would have liked to replace them. Its more then an O-ring as it fits inside the check valve. I hand tightened them and then checked for leaks. Tighten with channel locks a little bit and checked again for leaks. I think I'm ok there. I looked at all the diagram and didn't see that O-ring listed.
Old 09-01-2021, 09:20 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Looking at these as a possibility. Might be the name for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Check_Valve_Washer.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	180721  
Old 09-01-2021, 11:33 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Can this be moved to the plumbing forum?

Tags
tank, water