Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2010, 03:38 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

Hi All,

Probably not my place to interject since it’s been so many years ago that we had the 1200 4 door frig in the Journey but when I look at the pictures, I’m left with the thought that the door hinge bracket attached to the refrigerator needs to be adjusted and bent ‘up’ a couple of millimeters, and that the hinge point needs to be lubricated and have a glide washer. This would take a great deal of stress off of the door pieces.

I just checked the design on the hinges of our 842 and see a thin plastic washer between the doors and frig brackets to take care of the friction between the two. When we get the money, we will still replace the 842 because the absorption cooling has now gone out for the second time and I will not spend the money to have the cooling unit replaced again. Since we have 440 Amp./Hour of batteries and the ProSine inverter, I have decided on the Norcold DE-0061/EV-0061. It is an electric only, compressor type frig that only uses 3.2 Amps. at 12 Volts DC or 0.4 Amps. at 120 VAC. That’s over 6 times less than the 842 and most other gas/electric refrigerators and is not at all concerned with the coach being level.

True, there is no icemaker, but it should fit nicely into the existing space and the AC and DC connections are already there. The internal size is close and without the icemaker, there should be more useable space in the freezer. Plus, the roof vent can be removed and the vent on the side can be closed up. From the parts drawings, it seems to have hinges similar to the 842. It’s not my intent at all but this seems to be a truly green product for those who are concerned!
Old 02-19-2010, 01:49 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

here's another one--my cousin has a norcold fridge and just last weekend the lower hinge broke. His is still under warranty luckily. It's a shame

us + 3 active boys + 2 crazy labs + 1 plucky bird
Bob RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:58 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sage View Post
I have the followup on my refrigerator door hinge problem. I bought some JB Weld and glued the hinge piece back on and let it cure for about 16 hours. The instructions said that it would be fully cured after 15 hours and it did feel rock hard. I filled in all the gaps to help reinforce it and then I hung it back on. I did not load anything on the door but the first time that I opened it the hinge came apart again. :( Then I called the factory and they agreed that the only thing I could do is buy the entire replacement door for $199.99. Yikes! What a way to keep sales up - build a defective part and then charge the owner nearly $200 to replace it. Anyway, I have the new door. It is installed and I am only putting things such as lettuce and yogurt on the door. No longer will I be able to put things like mayo, salad dressing, soft drinks, etc. on the door. Even though the refrigerator came with 4 shelves on the door and we took one out and were only using 3 shelves it apparently was too much weight. If I ever have to replace my refrigerator, I will surely be looking at a Dometic.
Well just today my Dometic single door bottom hinge broke off. There wasn't much weight in the door. Right now I am waiting for the Gorilla glue to set. I have used it before and when it dries you can't even scrape it off. Will see if it works here.
ProPride P3 1400#Bars.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:25 PM   #24
Winnie-Wise

I got the new door installed and took JB Weld and filled in all the webbing to help beef up the hinge. Then I took a piece of strap metal and shaped it to fit around the hinge and along the bottom edge of the door. I pop-riveted it to the door as well as glued it with JB Weld. Then I painted it black to match the door frame. Time will tell if this helps reinforce the hinge and keep it from breaking in the future.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 05:29 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingman View Post
Well just today my Dometic single door bottom hinge broke off. There wasn't much weight in the door. Right now I am waiting for the Gorilla glue to set. I have used it before and when it dries you can't even scrape it off. Will see if it works here.
I misspoke, mine is a norcold as well. The gorilla glue didn't work so I tried JB weld. It broke also. So I took a flat 3"x 3" L shaped corner brace, cut one end to length and enlarged the hole for the pin and screwed it to the bottom of the door. Worked better than new. So if I do get another door I will just do the same before hand.
ProPride P3 1400#Bars.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:01 AM   #26
Winnebago Camper

First time out...

My very first trip in my very first coach (a 1996 Monoco Dynasty).....

As we turned onto the interstate about 2 miles from our home the Norcold refrigerator doors flew open and one broke off (forgot to "lock" the doors as requried by that model). I immediately exited the next exit and into the Home Depot parking lot. I wish I could remember what I used but I know it was some sort of mixed epoxy I selected after checking with the store personel and trying to determine the type of plastic. Repaired the door hinge right there in the parking lot and off on the trip we went. Repair was still holding six year later when we traded the coach in.

PDB
philbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:09 AM   #27
Winnebago Watcher

We are on our third door, each lasted about 6 months. They replaced them without question and did not require the broken one to be returned this time as they did with the first two, (warehouse probably getting full of doors with broken hinges) all no at no cost and they paid the labor.

I repaired the last one with the "As Seen On TV" stuff comes in two parts that you kneed together. No telling how long it will last so I'm keeping the latest door set aside till needed.
ParTheCourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:35 AM   #28
Winnie-Wise

Am I missing something or just lucky for a change?

I have a Norcold 842IM in my 03 Journey DL. The hinges appear to be different from the ones pictured in this thread. I don't know if mine is older or just a different model.

Can anyone provide more info?
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:05 PM   #29
Winnebago Owner

after reading notes last year on the same thing, i did as doug sage did and made a small piece of metal to support the hinge before it broke and riveted it with epoxy onto the door for extra support. it looks like thats the oinly answer.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:55 PM   #30
Winnie-Wise

I had the lower hinge break off as well on a 1201LRIM dual door fridge. It was replaced under warranty, in case someone is counting. This setup truly a bad design.

It failed for us while on the road nowhere near our dealer. Several of these nearby Norcold "dealers" could possibly get us in for a door replacement in about 2 months as they were to busy with their own customers and Norcold would only resolve the matter through one of their dealers. Good thing I am handy and was able to rig it up so the door would stay put until we got back home 3200 miles later. Norcold however was very willing to let me go without the use of my fridge for the next 3200 miles. It will be a residential fridge for me next time I need to replace my fridge or even better if I need a new coach.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:22 PM   #31
Winnebago Watcher

Just wanted to Thank everyone for this thread! Our door fell off this morning so I Googled and found this thread. Went to Home Depot and bought JB Weld and a piece of metal plate and we are back in business.

Thanks So Much!
Pollyanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:35 PM   #32
Winnebago Watcher

Been there done that.

Norcold makes a hinge brace, part # 634166. They should include with the fridge but don't.
triple602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:05 PM   #33
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple602 View Post
Been there done that.

Norcold makes a hinge brace, part # 634166. They should include with the fridge but don't.
I'm on my 3rd Norcold door. This time I put in the Norcold bracket referenced above. I highly recommend it.

Each time the plastic hinge broke at the bottom.

I agree, it should be included with the fridge.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:52 PM   #34
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherman View Post
I'm on my 3rd Norcold door. This time I put in the Norcold bracket referenced above. I highly recommend it.

Each time the plastic hinge broke at the bottom.

I agree, it should be included with the fridge.
Not only should it be included with the fridge, it should be installed at the factory as a product improvement before the fridge is delivered and spare the customer of unnecessary frustration. My angle iron fix is probably the strongest part of my Norcold 822.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:06 PM   #35
Winnebago Camper

Where did you find the Norcold hinge brace part # 634166 ?
olfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:16 PM   #36
Winnebago Watcher

Had to call Camping World 800-622-6264 as store staff couldn't find it..
triple602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:27 PM   #37
Winnebago Watcher

Dang... That is a LOT of broken hinges fellas...

You guys need to write a giant letter, have everyone sign it and send it to the manufacturer, and the BBB.

that is just unacceptable at this point.
Lone_Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:28 PM   #38
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbailey View Post
My very first trip in my very first coach (a 1996 Monoco Dynasty).....

..... I immediately exited the next exit and into the Home Depot parking lot. I wish I could remember what I used but I know it was some sort of mixed epoxy I selected after checking with the store personnel and trying to determine the type of plastic.....
PDB
Ours just broke; 2008 Jayco; Norcold N811; would like recommendations as to Gorilla Glue or mixed epoxy or JB Weld or whatever..... I used Duck Tape to hold the piece in place and between that and the door weight, it's holding nicely for now. But I don't want to "hit the road" that way......
ChuckNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:07 PM   #39
Winnebago Owner

Door hinges break, cooling units fail or burn down your RV, countless recalls and when working are sub-par at best. The point of having these is what again?

Norcold treated us very well when we had the recall and the dealer we bought our rig from replaced the door n/c but the thing was such a PIA we went to a residential fridge.

If you boondock I guess your choices are limited but the Amish cooling unit looks like a better bet. Ours was replaced under our GS ESP with a stock cooling unit and it worked if you don't mind spoiled millk.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:05 PM   #40
Winnebago Watcher

hi gang.

we just arrived after our first trip with our new Simba, 2008

It was great, good times with our grandsons

but---------- we have a door problem with the norcold fridge. Big problem

so, after we arrived home, I rush here to see if somebody else, had the same problem

surprise.............. we are not alone

the door fridge stay in my husband hands, after our first day

the low locks was broken, and I remember earing a bad noice while on the road. Road in Quebec are..........

My husband fix the door, with a fixture. Ouffffff he is a genius,

I will continu reading this topic, to see what other members have to say about the same problem

If you want, I can take a picture and show you how my husband fix that door.

it is fix but it is not new anymore.

we decided to leave it like that, it is working fine, for the time being

maybe we will buy a new fridge, but are looking into it

have a great summer to all

Now, I will be chearching for best RV parks in Florida for next winter.
No more snow for us,

Thanks again for a great forum and web site

PS==sorry for my poor english, cannot have everything in live,
Lily is offline   Reply With Quote