Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-17-2019, 06:07 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

high altitude ops - refrig/propane

heading to colorado for boondocking at ~9-10k'. have read some about refrig, when operating on propane will not light. is a new Dometic 26** or 28**.

would it be advantageous to wait to switch out propane tanks till in Colo hoping for better propane mix? Somehow attempt to insulate tanks w/a blanket or such? Run generator through night hoping for max batt power to lighter? Any other thoughts?

thanks!
KGs2108DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 08:16 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Switch propane tanks? Insulate propane tanks? Run generator through the night? Where are you getting all of this bad advice? Yikes!

Get out your refrigerator manual (hardcopy or online) and read about high altitude operation. Any propane appliance relies on the proper fuel/air mixture. At altitude, your propane appliance will run rich (too much fuel). This may or may not be a problem but trying it out beats reading about it.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 08:55 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

As altitude goes up it becomes more critical that the spark gap be set correctly to light the air-propane mixture, and more critical that the flame is the right position relative to the flame heat sensor. Check you owner's manuals for your various propane appliances, some may only be designed to work reliably up to 7 or 8 thousand feet but with tweaking you should be able to get them to work at slightly higher altitudes.

I have used my Atwood HWH and furnace, and the Norcold N600 fridge in Estes Park at 8,500 feet, don't have any experience at altitudes higher than that.

Good luck.

Good luck.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 10:48 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I took our Micro Minnie 2405RG to CO and dry camped at 10K'. The fridge worked well. No generator usage. However, since returning home, TX, the fridge doesn't want to cool down. Leveled and running on 30amp power. I put a bag of ice into the freezer and it would melt then freeze on the bottom. I put two water bottles in on the top self and 2 days later they were still not close to being frozen. Very cold but not a hint of icing. Took it to the dealer and they say it "passed" all the tests.
I'm sorry I am ranting and not helping.
I hope you have a good time in CO. I suspect the fridge will work well for you.
kitsonkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 04:17 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Fridge at high altitude

Spent 2 summers now in CO at high altitude. No problems here or back in Houston during the winter. Love our micro mini 2106fbs.
johnevans3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 06:47 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

refrig and high altitude ops - SUCCESS

thanks to everyone for your thoughts on my post last week. I'm delighted to tell you we just finished a 4 day, 3 night boondock at 9k' in SW Colo. Everything worked quite well in our 2018 Micro Minnie 2108DS. The refrig ran on propane flawlessly (even though the owners manual says not to run it >5500')!, the stove worked fine, the furnace did need multiple attempts by the 12V electronic ignition to light in the mornings, BUT always did so by the 4th or 5th ignition attempt. This was all on battery with ambient temps in the mid 20s, and one propane tank 1/4 and the other 3/4. I also have a Honda 2200i that i switched out the carb jet to the 0.60mm for 5-10k' ops, and it started on the first pull every time (we used it to charge the unit battery, and for a few 120VAC appliances an hour or so each day. So we had a great time viewing the changing Aspens!
Old 09-29-2019, 07:56 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

High altitude camping

Great to hear everything went well. We will be leaving Woodland Park, CO on Tuesday and going to Twin Lakes for a few days. Altitude is about 9000’ there and when we were there in August we had no problems. I do have a second 12v battery and use a Champion duel fuel generator for heavy power needs and recharge. Since we were there in August, I have added a 1200 watt power inverter connected directly to the batteries and with 2 duplex outlets, one on each side of the bed. This inverter system is not connected in any way to the factory wiring. I am anxious to use the Micro Minnie with the up grade to power the cpap, heated mattress pad and satellite tv (for a couple of hours). It will be a lot easier than I was doing with power cords running out the window.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:31 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

refrig and high altitude ops - SUCCESS

had a great and VERY helpful conversation w/Eric at Dometic (they also own Atwood) customer support today about high altitude LP ops re: refrig, and furnace. Very knowledgable of Dometic RV utilities AND intelligently spoke to all my high altitude operations questions. Also has personal experience using this stuff himself!
Old 10-01-2019, 05:28 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnevans3 View Post
Great to hear everything went well. We will be leaving Woodland Park, CO on Tuesday and going to Twin Lakes for a few days. Altitude is about 9000’ there and when we were there in August we had no problems. I do have a second 12v battery and use a Champion duel fuel generator for heavy power needs and recharge. Since we were there in August, I have added a 1200 watt power inverter connected directly to the batteries and with 2 duplex outlets, one on each side of the bed. This inverter system is not connected in any way to the factory wiring. I am anxious to use the Micro Minnie with the up grade to power the cpap, heated mattress pad and satellite tv (for a couple of hours). It will be a lot easier than I was doing with power cords running out the window.
9700’ at Twin Lakes and I’m above the community by about 400’ on the side of a mountain. All propane appliances working well.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:26 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

steep climbs killed my fridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsonkt View Post
I took our Micro Minnie 2405RG to CO and dry camped at 10K'. The fridge worked well. No generator usage. However, since returning home, TX, the fridge doesn't want to cool down. Leveled and running on 30amp power. I put a bag of ice into the freezer and it would melt then freeze on the bottom. I put two water bottles in on the top self and 2 days later they were still not close to being frozen. Very cold but not a hint of icing. Took it to the dealer and they say it "passed" all the tests.
I'm sorry I am ranting and not helping.
I hope you have a good time in CO. I suspect the fridge will work well for you.
There are many reasons that the boiler can overheat in an RV fridge, such as parking off-level to run into the store or climbing or descending a steep grade. So, having taken I70 over the Rockies several times, my gasser lumbers along at a blazing 35mph. The climb is 6% grade and takes 40 minutes or more. With the fridge running on the climb, it over heated, boiled out solution and ruined the cooling unit. I had no idea why my cooling unit failed until I was educated on the ARP site. https://www.arprv.com/damage-rv-fridge.php

Tags
propane