Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-04-2022, 03:20 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Fridge Struggling

We are full time in the south. When the sun hits the side where the fridge sits, of course the fridge struggles. So I taped some reflextics in the area shown. It actually dropped the temp 3 or 4 degrees. Any thoughts on using a larger piece to cover more while still allowing for good circulation? Also where it is plugged in only has one socket. Would it matter if I added a double to use a small fan for circulation?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	61FF251A-E599-4DAC-BCD0-85680E188983.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	568.5 KB
ID:	183700   Click image for larger version

Name:	518EA3CC-9D79-4CBD-B6DF-1F2796EF4631.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	339.2 KB
ID:	183701  

CarpeDiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 04:25 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I read often that adding a fan to get more upflow circulation is a good plan.
And adding a duplex outlet is one way to go but I might also add a second idea. The 110 outlet limits the fan to when you do have AC, but you may also have easy access to 12volt DC in the same area???

That might have an advantage in smallpoints. One is it givesmorefreedom to use the fan off the battery supply but also gives a wider variety of fans in small sizes to fit the space. Computer fans are often really cheap and really easy to find if you have computer stores around. They are small, cheap, and have mounting holes already on them! One four inch or several two inch?

Or if really into scraping the most out of a dollar, search out a junk computer case and there may be several for free. I use them to cool fish tanks!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 05:09 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
I read often that adding a fan to get more upflow circulation is a good plan.
And adding a duplex outlet is one way to go but I might also add a second idea. The 110 outlet limits the fan to when you do have AC, but you may also have easy access to 12volt DC in the same area???

That might have an advantage in smallpoints. One is it givesmorefreedom to use the fan off the battery supply but also gives a wider variety of fans in small sizes to fit the space. Computer fans are often really cheap and really easy to find if you have computer stores around. They are small, cheap, and have mounting holes already on them! One four inch or several two inch?

Or if really into scraping the most out of a dollar, search out a junk computer case and there may be several for free. I use them to cool fish tanks!
Excellent idea. Just looking for an easy fix as electrical is my weakest area. We are full time and go to State Parks in Florida, Georgia & South Carolina for work camping 3 or 4 months at at time.
CarpeDiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 06:44 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

One of the nicer things about the small fans is that they arefairly common in 12VDCand since they are used in computers, they are also very low power draws. The controls on many frigs are 12VDC, so if one can spot the 12Volt connections on the frig back, just working out a way to tie into those controlscan work well as itdoesn't require running wires very far to place a fan so it blows up around the frig coils that do the cooling.

Take a bit to study the idea before acceptingit as the frig does vary and things change, so just consider it an idea to see if it is easier/better or not!

Taking a quick look at your pictures, do I see it has a 12volt connection listed?
Attached Images

Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 07:01 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We recently purchased an RV fridge fan from Amazon called a Titan. I’m sorry I wasn’t able to copy and paste the link. It runs on 3 Lithium Ion batteries, which are included with a charger. It worked pretty well and we did notice the difference on extremely hot days. It has 3 settings for the fan.

Rv Fridge Fan TITAN Boost Air Circulation 3-Speed Smart Power Operated li-ion Batteries Included TTC-SC28(3B)
Raxel7851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 07:06 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Side vented absorption fridges do have a dis-advantage over ones with a roof vent. One thing to check is rear clearance, it should be very narrow, like 1/4" to 1". If not, the air bypasses the condenser. The installers don't seem to pay attention to this, I had to pull my fridge and glue a 1" layer of foil backed foam board on the back wall, although you can make baffles as well.
Another thing to check is inside the top vent area, it should not be a square box, it should not extend higher than the top of the vent, and it should not extend over the top of the fridge. I fixed mine with some soft aluminum made for 4" dryer venting so I have a nice gentle curve out the top vent (the installers don't seem to care about that either)
Overall I did a tremendous amount of work on my fridge and brought the performance from "un-acceptable" to "decent". Some of that work involved top vent fans, condenser fans and evaporator fans. I also totally re did the inferior installation that the factory did including venting my flue gas to the outside which the instructions clearly state you must do in every case but again, the installers don't seem to pay that any mind either.
See attached link that explains proper venting. Unfortunately with two side vents you will never achieve "good" but you can achieve "almost good". If you do fans, don't get too aggressive, you want a nice, gentle assist to the natural convection. Too aggressive and you will upset the natural air flow that is part of the absorption process. Computer fans work well, I put 2-3" muffins under the condenser and 2 slow moving 8" PC fans at the top vent.
https://www.fridge-and-solar.net/fridge_vent.htm

One of the best improvements was the evaporator fans, even if you can buy a battery powered fridge fan for now it will help keep the air inside the fridge circulating and the fins from icing as much, but look into the clip on evaporator fans at Amazon. You can wire them to the light or to the 12 volts on the back of the fridge thru the drain tube.
Old 08-04-2022, 07:17 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Look inside behind the top vent. Chances are there is no baffle to direct air rising to flow to the vent. The hot air rises into a dead space above the vent and this does not provide smooth path for the hot air exhaust to flow out. Use some of the reflectix and metal duct tape to make a curved baffle so that the hot air rising hits a smooth curve and goes right out the vent.

Use a cleaning brush or compressed air to clean the ammonia condenser fins at the top so they transfer heat to the air better.

Whatever you can do to have cooler air enter the lower vent will help. When I have to park where the fridge side gets afternoon sun and wind cooperates I open the awning so cooler air is being drawn into the fridge vent.

The ARP Fridge Defend with Fans is another upgrade that will help , but at a higher cost arprv.com. Has the additional benefit of protecting from a refrigerator fire.

Every little bit helps.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 05:42 PM   #8
2018 22M

Fridge Fan

Although not a total solution, I agree with those that mentioned fridge fans. After 4 years of uneven cooling/freezing I bought two “ “Beech Lane RV Fridge Fan, High Power 3,000 RPM Motor, Easy On and Off Switch, Multiple Side Vents Increase Airflow, Durable Construction (Natural)” on Amazon They work! They use D batts so that can get expensive but the difference is worth it to me. Every week or so I take the freezer one out & put on counter for an hour as a couple times that one has stopped until I did that (says fridge in info, but the guy who told me about these uses in both as well. Really helps the uneven issues. Put bottom shelf & leave some room for vents. 👍🏼
dnta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 06:19 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Since your refrigerator has side/wall vents, here is a good video to describe a possible solution. Poor installations and baffles that have slipped out of place are common issues.
Also, as a test to see if a fan might help, I've seen people temporarily setup a 110V box fan to blow into the bottom vent.

RV Refrigerator Cooling Performance Issues – Installing A Baffle To Shed Heat From The Cooling Unit.
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge