Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-29-2020, 01:49 PM   #1
Mel
Winnebago Watcher

Fridge replacement

What will replace a norcold model 683 refrigerator? I've been told norcold n841 and a dm2852 which is it? Help.
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 02:05 PM   #2
Site Team

I'm not sure if this will help. But here's a chart:

https://www.thetford.com/wp-content/...Chart-4-13.pdf

and another:
https://www.arprv.com/norcold-dometi...-reference.php

Norcold Model: #482, #483, #682, #683 - height: 59 7/8, width: 23 1/2, depth: 24
Dometic Model: RM2852 - height: 59 15/16, width: 23 11/16, depth: 24
Old 03-29-2020, 03:12 PM   #3
Mel
Winnebago Watcher

Does anyone know how to order one?
Old 03-30-2020, 10:57 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I've had great luck going to websites (i.e. norcold.com) scrolling to "contact us" or similar then calling on the phone.

Often better price than the big "A" even with shipping.

Fair Winds and Following Sails
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 08:16 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I find I get better service and price if I move away from the dealers and into some of the online resellers like Rv parts stores. It takes some shopping but I find a search for RV refrig and get into places like Etrailer. com and such to then look for the specifics.
Shopping takes time and many just go to the big folks but the shopping experience can make you aware of things that you might never find otherwise. Many of the small folks are really open to a phone call and pass info just on the hope you will come back again.
Very happy with Etrailer.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 05:17 PM   #6
Mel
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldchinahand View Post
I've had great luck going to websites (i.e. norcold.com) scrolling to "contact us" or similar then calling on the phone.

Often better price than the big "A" even with shipping.

Fair Winds and Following Sails
Thank you I'll try to contact them online or call
Old 04-04-2020, 09:36 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I would consider a small residential fridge to replace the Norcold after changing to a res fridge in my coach. You will need an inverter so you would have to factor that in to make your decision. They draw about 3 amps when running and will provide more consistent temperatures than a gas absorption fridge. They have largely become the choice in the class A market for all but the diehard absorption lovers.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 10:00 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Don't know if this will work for you but it's what I'll replace a absorption fridge in any RV we will buy. Some solar with a decent battery bank would be perfect.
https://furrion.com/collections/refr...v-refrigerator
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 11:28 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Furrion 12 Volt Refrigerator

Just looked at the link about the Furrion12V refrigerators. Seems

like an awesome idea, have any of you actually installed one in your coach or have someone you know that has?
Thanks,
Bart
Blkbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 04:15 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkbart View Post
Just looked at the link about the Furrion12V refrigerators. Seems

like an awesome idea, have any of you actually installed one in your coach or have someone you know that has?
Thanks,
Bart
We are still in the planning stage for either a new TT or Class C. I have seen reviews where this is now being used in other brand names. Win. is using a similar fridge I think in Navion. Lichtsinn's did a test on a similar unit and it lasted like three days I think on a single battery charge..
I have seen (but couldn't find) Haylett's RV Aaron used a TT with this fridge and it performed flawlessly for him. He was really impressed with it.
If any RV we decide on does not have it..... it will before it leaves the lot. It's a direct replacement with no modification for the typical 8CF absorption fridge.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:34 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret.LEO View Post
Don't know if this will work for you but it's what I'll replace a absorption fridge in any RV we will buy. Some solar with a decent battery bank would be perfect.
https://furrion.com/collections/refr...v-refrigerator
I couldn't find any dimensional or power consumption data on their web site. That makes me suspicious.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 07:36 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
We are still in the planning stage for either a new TT or Class C. I have seen reviews where this is now being used in other brand names. Win. is using a similar fridge I think in Navion. Lichtsinn's did a test on a similar unit and it lasted like three days I think on a single battery charge..
I have seen (but couldn't find) Haylett's RV Aaron used a TT with this fridge and it performed flawlessly for him. He was really impressed with it.
If any RV we decide on does not have it..... it will before it leaves the lot. It's a direct replacement with no modification for the typical 8CF absorption fridge.
Could you give us a link to the Lichtsinn test?

David
Old 04-08-2020, 12:15 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
I couldn't find any dimensional or power consumption data on their web site. That makes me suspicious.

David
Hope this helps:
https://furrion.com/products/furrion...ator-tech-spec
Old 04-08-2020, 12:26 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
Could you give us a link to the Lichtsinn test?

David
Here's one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ture=emb_title
AND ANOTHER:
Old 04-08-2020, 01:34 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
OK, thanks. This is what the specs say:

Input voltage: DC 12V (min. DC 10.5V to max. DC 17V)
Input power rating: ≤ 15A (11A @ 12V DC)
Energy Consumption: 1.08kWh per day

So 11A at 12V DC is a lot. The 1,080 watts per day value implies a 33% duty cycle and 90 amp hours a day. Also a lot, but it is a big fridge, more than I would need.

The Lichtsinn experiment (thanks for the link) was interesting but not very well done. The morning after three days of running the fridge with 200 watts of solar and I suspect about 120 amp hours of batteries, the fridge was warm and the batteries I suspect were dead. They gamely said that you could go three days but with the fridge up into the 60s I think it died overnight, so maybe less.

It is hard to judge how much contribution the solar panels made. Usually 200 watts in full sun will produce about 70 Ahs, but the first day was cloudy and the second and third were mostly sunny. I can infer they got 140 Ahs out of the solar panels and maybe 100 Ahs out of the batteries before they died. That means that the fridge was using 240/3 = 80 Ahs a day. Quite a bit for a 7 cu ft fridge.

FWIW when I was living aboard a boat on the hook away from solar, I kept my 6 cu ft, well insulated ice box with a 12V cooler added down to about 20 in the freezer and 40 in the fridge. I would pretty well use up the contents every two weeks so I could live with the warmer temps. A ten degree internal temp increase probably cut the cooling load by 25%.

David
Old 04-08-2020, 01:57 PM   #16
Site Team

The obvious flaw in the Lichtsinn "experiment" video is that the RV was simply sitting there. No other usage other than parasitic loads. Also, they said they started with a fully charged battery at 13.2v. We all know a fully charged battery is 12.7v. So, either the RV was still plugged in or had just been unplugged with surface voltage over 12.7v.

Sometimes there was a light on inside and sometimes not. The fridge had no food and was not being opened and closed during the day with normal use.

So, it was not really a valid real-world test and yeah somehow between Wed and Thursday the batteries went WAYYYY down - perhaps damaged. They didn't mention.

There was no mention of whether or not the RV had the lithium option installed. I'd presume not.

Tags
ace, fridge, replace, replacement