Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2018, 01:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Fridge problems.

We purchased a 2018 Winnebago 30t. We are having issues with the refrigerator running on gas.

We have been on two trips, first one to Moab, Utah and had no problems. The second to Lake City, Co. We spent our first night just outside Colorado Springs, Co., that is when we had our first problem. We were dry camping, so refrigerator was running on gas. Woke up to find fridge was showing faults on mode switch and was not working. We couldn’t get it to relight, so ran on generator till we reach our destination. On our trip back home, it would work fine for awhile, then would stop working for no apparent reason to us.

So my question to the group, has this happen to anyone else and if so what was done to solve the problem?

Thanks, Wonderdog1
Wonderdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 02:16 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Your best bet is to download a copy of the service manual for your specific make/model refrigerator and follow the troubleshooting guide.

I could speculate as to what it might be but following the troubleshooting guide is going to be much more productive.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 02:48 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Assuming it is a Norcold , as that is what I am familiar with ...

The fridge's control board when it senses cold is needed will:
1) open the gas valve
2) make sparks with the spark ignitor
3) look for output from the flame sensor

It will shut off the gas if the flame sensor does not sense the flame started

It will try this 3 times over about a 1-2 minute period then go into lockout to prevent propane buildup. To reset lockout use the front panel button to power off your fridge and then use the front panel button to power it back on.

The manual will tell what the spark gap should be ( 1/8" generally ). The flame sensor is the end of the tip where the 90 degree turn is in the spark / flame sensor assembly. You want this centered in the blue part of the flame. You can bend the bracket slightly to get it right in the flame. My Norcold was not reliably starting until I got it adjusted right.

One final thing , make sure the flame inspection door is closed only open it to make sure the flame is a nice blue one or to look to see that the flame is right over the ignitor / flame sensor.

Good luck.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 05:41 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

It may be the elevation you are at.... propane may not be burning efficiently and going out due to elevation and propane tank pressure.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:21 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Sorry for the delay of Thanking You for your responses.

I have taken it to dealer, as it is still under warranty. I am curious to see what they come up with and l can use your opinions as a possible fix if need be.

Thanks again,
Wonderdog1
Wonderdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, fridge, problems