Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2020, 01:33 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Fridge not working on inverter Intent 30R

Just returned from South Carolina. As I was preparing to leave I discovered that my fridge would not come on using the inverter. The 2019 Intent 30R fridge uses the inverter when on the road. The inverter is coming on, or the green light says it is. No power to the fridge. Any thoughts?
Beeman744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 05:24 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Some things to think over and check. If the frig uses the inverter, the inverter uses the coach batteries to change the 12VDC to 110 AC to run the frig. So when traveling the engine alternator will be pumping 12VDC into the batteries and that will keep them up. But when you get home and are not running the engine nor plugged into power, the batteries can go flat reasonably quickly.
So checking some things like the battery voltage may show the cause if they are run down. If you have been out for a couple days and the batteries have been used heavy a short term drive like 4- 6 hours back home may not have got them near full charge, leaving them prone to going flat pretty quick.
Of course there may also be other problems but that is one to check first.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 04:06 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for your reply. While in SC we were plugged in the entire time. Wife thinks that when we ran the generator enroute to SC the inverter was on and it could have caused a problem. We ran the generator the last hour of the trip to help cool down the RV. Did not remember to turn off inverter. Owners manual says fridge will run off electric, generator and inverter. Is it possible that there is a reset button on the inverter? Meaning that the inverter is on but not putting out power.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:11 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeman744 View Post
Thanks for your reply. While in SC we were plugged in the entire time. Wife thinks that when we ran the generator enroute to SC the inverter was on and it could have caused a problem. We ran the generator the last hour of the trip to help cool down the RV. Did not remember to turn off inverter. Owners manual says fridge will run off electric, generator and inverter. Is it possible that there is a reset button on the inverter? Meaning that the inverter is on but not putting out power.
Yes, I have read about the inverter needing to be reset in this situation. Possible something like a GFCI to push?
Adding the year make and model of the RV to your signature is one way to automatically get that info out to folks reading any future posts/questions. If folks have that info those who know exactly which RV can throw in much more direct info or if it gets down to wires tracing on drawings we can start on the right drawing rather than swap messages back and forth on what may not be the same RV.
More info on what you have?
Old 05-31-2020, 10:56 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I am new to forums and not sure about signature. Mine is a 2019 Winnebago Intent 30R. I will remove the panel below the fridge and look for a GFI. Thanks.
Old 05-31-2020, 11:05 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
I am new to forums and not sure about signature.
Creating a signature is an easy process.

1. Click on UserCP upper left menubar near top of the page
2. Click on Edit Signature on the left column menu
3. Add your year model and floorplan info, toad, too, its up to you
4. Click Save Signature
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EditSignature.png
Views:	101
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	173709  
Old 05-31-2020, 11:07 AM   #7
Site Team

I'm sure one of the many Intent owners will chime in - I'll add "Intent" to your thread title.

But I have seen them mention that running the gen with the inverter on is a big NO-NO.
Old 05-31-2020, 11:42 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for your reply. I removed the panel below the fridge and it is not a GFI. By hearing the beep I found the inverter under the fuse box by removing the cover. Looks like by removing two screws it will slide out. First I think I will check what looks like the outgoing wires for voltage. The wires go to a connecter block. I dont want to slide the inverter out if I dont have to. I thought that the fridge was the only thing on the inverter but at the connecter block looks like there is four wires total. I have an inverter that I use at work and it is an enclosed unit. This inverter is not in a case, I guess not needed. I would hope that if there is a reset button it is pretty obvious.
Old 05-31-2020, 12:14 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Point that may be late to ask about but I see on the drawing for your RV, that there is a 15 amp fuse for frig and TV at the load center. Might be worth a check to see if both are out and check that breaker/fuse if not checked yet as it may be a bit easier than digging out the inverter?

Part of the parts drawing here shows a switch. Any help to know that?
Found on this drawing if you want a better picture!
https://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/2018/000037328.pdf top right label in yellow says inverter and bottom left says switch.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	inverter.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	173712  
Old 05-31-2020, 12:56 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

On the idea that we never have too much info, this is a different view of the inverter in dark blue, load center in light blue at the bottom and then what is listed as "transfer switch inverter in yellow that seems to show it plugged into the inverter and feeding to connectors at the right. Ignore if not needed or already knew that!! This is looking down on the rv:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	inverter transfer switch.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	173713  
Old 05-31-2020, 01:13 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the info. Tomorrow I will check the fuses and reply back.
Old 05-31-2020, 01:42 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Running the generator and inverter will cause problems with the inverter.

The inverter has a GFI outlet for its output, my first guess is that it has tripped. There should be a standard three prong plug with a wire running from it to the converter box. All of your single-plug wall outlets are connected to the inverter, and powered via shore or generator.

Unfortunately my layout is quite different from the rest of the Intent models, so I do not know exactly how your inverter is laid out or how to access it. (My GFI reset can be reached by lifting the couch seat.)
theSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 04:27 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Setting here, bored, so took a look at the manual for your RV and it does give inverter info on page 6-2 that says the inverted DOES have GFCI and the picture looks like it is the "standard" layout for outlets with the reset and test buttons where the cord plugs. So if the parts drawing is showing that cord on the far end of the inverter from the access, and the buttons are lfat like normal, I can see not being able to spot them as being really easy.
Old 06-06-2020, 12:02 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I guess at this point I am off to Camping World to get this RV repaired. I checked the inverter and have no voltage coming from it. I removed the two screws, slid the thing out and can see no fuse or reset button. With the water leaks and no ac from truck I guess my best choice is to have them fix it, under warrenty. Thanks for all the help.
Old 06-06-2020, 12:40 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Sounds like a rational thing to do.
But if you use a Chrome browser, they have just changed the Winnebago site and made it really much better than before as we can go directly to a parts diagram and zoom, rotate and do all kinds of neat handy things to look at where parts are located as well as a list at the right. Then the questions can become whether it actually matches what you see. In my RV, it does not on lots of the electrical. Bummer!
But if you want to take a look at the drawings for your RV inverter, it might be interesting to know if it matches.
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/2018/318510.htm
Item 20 on the parts list is the inverter and clicking on it changes the color on the crawing so that you can spot it, even if no idea where on the RV.
Using the scroll button on mouse, you can zoom and at the far left bottom there is a place to set the center point where the drawing rotates around the point you st. That lets you look really close and turn the inverter around to view the front where the cord plugs into a normal GFCI.
Neat and clear--- but only if it matches what you actually have!!!
On the other hand, We can also just be so sick of looking we don't want to hear it. I've been there, too!
Old 09-24-2020, 02:04 PM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

GFI on inverter

Quote:
I am new to forums and not sure about signature. Mine is a 2019 Winnebago Intent 30R. I will remove the panel below the fridge and look for a GFI. Thanks.
I have a 2018 Intet 30R and have had to reset the GFI under the kitchen sink after removing the floor panel by removing 5 screws and lifting the floor panel out.
The GFI is on the end of the inverter where a cord plugs in.
I left the screws out so I can easily remove the panel and reset if needed.
It will sometimes trip when change onto or off of shore power or generator power.
Jerry R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 06:55 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Inverter not working.

Thanks for your reply Jerry. I also had a leak on my outdoor sink so I took the RV to Camping World. They reset the inverter and told me how to access it. They had my RV 8 weeks to replace a pex fitting under my outdoor sink.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:12 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thanks for your reply Jerry. I also had a leak on my outdoor sink so I took the RV to Camping World. They reset the inverter and told me how to access it. They had my RV 8 weeks to replace a pex fitting under my outdoor sink.
Progress but slow and painful??
Was it one of those things that is so simple IF they would just tell us where it is found?
I find there are tons of little "secrets" we are not told and it drives me mad on things like new electronics.
Something as simple as matching a new remote to the new TV should not have to be that hard!
I had to find 1 of 72 on my new TV and it was try 48 or so!!
Maybe the folks who built it could put a sticker on it?

Tags
inverter, fridge