Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-22-2022, 09:02 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Found loose (disconnected) White wire in Front Main AC Unit

Today I was cleaning both Evap Coils with nice smelly lemon coil cleaner. My coils were NOT dirty but after hearing they should be cleaned twice a year or at least once a year I thought I would clean given it has been 3 years 8 months.

I have 2019 Sunstar 29ve with two Airxcel Thermostats that control AC/Furnace. I have Suburban Gas furnace and no furnace in either of my Coleman 13.5k BTU roof tops.

So when I was finishing the Front Main AC unit, I noticed a white wire with female connector hanging loose in the EVAP coil area. I looked around and saw a empty male spade connector (W) on the control board. So I assumed, I must have pulled it apart when opening up the plenum, or with the towel that I use to protect the inside from the coil cleaner spray? All power was off. I buttoned and seal it back up and went to work on the rear AC ( over bedroom). My plan was look for the same white wire there to confirm. Instead it had no white wire on the same male spade connector (W). I looked around and did see a loose white wire in the EVAP of the Rear Bedroom AC unit. See picture as this is what the Rear AC looks like.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220722_202138.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	213.4 KB
ID:	183609

From what research I was able to do, I believe the (W) male spade connector on the controller is for a Furnace? Should I have left the White wire in the front Main AC unit disconnected? If so; why was it there? Any harm if I power back up with the White wire connected on Main AC and there is no Furnace?

Unless it can be reached from inside filter area, and If I have to unplug the white wire; I will have to go back up on roof and take the entire thing apart again

Any help appreciated, What should I do?

Update:
I am able to access the White wire in question from inside the coach by removing the air filter. See the White wire plugged into (W). It was just hanging loose when I 1st saw. Not sure if it was suppose to be in W or not?

Name:	20220722_221714.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	183611
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 09:38 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Just power it up and see. If no smoke and sparks then good to go!
Old 07-22-2022, 09:50 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyocamper View Post
Just power it up and see. If no smoke and sparks then good to go!
No Good deed goes unpunished. Lot of video chest pumping cleaning coils and some saying twice a year, Yes I had some dust on Condenser but Evap coil squeaky clean after almost 4 years.

I can't risk providing power in the blind because it is too hot and I need both ACs.

I didn't think I pulled a wire out, but then again if I did it would have been accident and I didn't know. I just looked at rear AC (Bedroom) and there is not an extra White wire so that W on it had to be empty.

This is making me think the Front AC (Main Cabin) was empty too? I may have plugged it in thinking unplugged but I did not?

I am also wondering if the extra White wire in the front is there by Winnebago for possible expansion? i.e. What if I wanted to add a heater in the AC unit? Not sure my unit support heater but maybe it was prewired.

The Wire code on the White wire is …. 329751-01-000<B> JM6

I have unplugged wire, because that is the way it was when I first saw.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 07-22-2022, 10:16 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Ok, so I have looked up that wire code 329751-01-000<B> JM6 and found the below confirming it is for Main Furnace Ground.

Name:	Furnace.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	183612

The question is is that ground required to be connected for the thermostat and my Suburban Gas Furnace to work?

As I think about it, I have two Thermostats but only the one in front Main Cabin controls the Suburban gas heater. So maybe this is where the Thermostat gets it ground? I am thinking I should plug it back in?
Old 07-23-2022, 08:06 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I didn't hear anything so using the logic above I plugged it back in this morning. Since coils were dry I activated Coach & Shore power. All looked normal as I stepped through both thermostats. Turn on both ACs and they started up like normal. Could smell the lemon scent, but doubt that will last long. Turn on the heater, had a little drama because I forgot the coach temp was 87 so I set the heat at 90 and it fire right up.

Looks like I did inadvertently pull a wire out and caught it before sealing plenum up. Just did not know at the time that wire was unique to Front AC due to Heat on thermostat. The Rear AC does not have Heat control thus no furnace ground wire.
Old 07-23-2022, 07:01 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Take pictures before you work around any wiring . Saved my ass a few times .
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 07:29 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckape View Post
Take pictures before you work around any wiring . Saved my ass a few times .
Actually, I do. But I didn't foresee the cleaning of coils as working with wiring?

My coach is 3 years 8 months old and neither rooftop's coil had ever been cleaned. Watched a few videos where everyone is saying clean twice or at least once a year? I just had to see. Expecting very dirty coils, my coils were very clean especially in the Evap. I cleaned them anyway.

I think the videos are indiscreet product marketing to encourage people to spend more than what they really need under the umbrella of other wise common sense cleaning.

From what I learned, I will check my condenser coil once per year, and clean it every 2 years with AC Lemon smelling coil cleaner. I will go into the Plenum and clean Evap coil once every 4 years.

FWIW, None of the Coleman Mach - Airxcel even speak of owner or service tech having a need to clean the coils.
Old 08-08-2022, 10:47 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

I found the same loose white wire on mine. I figured it was for a feature or connection that is optional on the Coleman but not used by Winnebago. Left it alone and the Ac works fine.
mmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 11:41 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmason View Post
I found the same loose white wire on mine. I figured it was for a feature or connection that is optional on the Coleman but not used by Winnebago. Left it alone and the Ac works fine.
Check your furnace. I surmised that the white wire goes to the one Thermostat that controls the furnace. There was no white wire on my Rear Bedroom AC as that Airxel Thermostat is different model number.

But you are correct, as far as Coleman AC goes that spade connector is available for all of their units. Maybe the feature or option is to wire in a Furnace.
Old 08-08-2022, 12:35 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

I have a 2002 Brave, the couch only slides out on one end
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 12:54 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I added a heat strip to my 2017 29ve (only 1 AC), Bluetooth thermostat and found that I also had to change the box you found that plugs it all in. Overall I'm happy with adding it because I can use hookups to stop the gas heater from kicking in, and with the upgraded thermostat I can control it from my phone.

I had to contact Airxcel to confirm what part number I needed in the AC unit. Oh, and I had to run another signal wire from the new thermostat if I recall correctly.
Old 08-08-2022, 12:56 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Oh, and the heat strips are VERY slow to heat the air so don't expect much like the propane heater pumps out heat. It's more like "lukewarm" air and good to raise a few degrees if you're not in a hurry or in extreme climates.