Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2020, 10:13 AM   #1
US1
Winnebago Camper

Faulty Norcold Circuit panel?

My original ‘01 gas/electric Norcold fridge can’t be turned off unless I pull the 12v fuse. I can install the fuse and have power to the unit and it’ll stay off. But once I push the power button, it will turn on to whichever source it is set for, but it can not be powered off. I have removed the front control panel and verified the power push button itself is good, also confirmed by the ability to turn the unit on. If I push the power Off/On button again to turn off, the power light stays on and i don’t hear it shut off. The manual just states to push button for 3 seconds to power off/on.

Am I overlooking something? This is a new to us RV and we have yet to actually use the fridge. But I’d think off means no more flame.
Perhaps I should ask this, is there a shutdown time frame such as 1 min, that I’m not accounting for?

Thanks
Old 04-15-2020, 01:19 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I am assuming that you mean you can hear the burner and when pushing to turn off, you still hear the burner? I can normally hear the gas valve open and the flame light but not hear the fire itself after lighting.
But then I would also go with waiting for a couple minutes to see if it would time out as some RV items do work kind of slow and I sure don't want to get into looking for trouble if I can clear it by waiting a few minutes!
Might work, might not but I'm for giving it a chance!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 01:23 PM   #3
US1
Winnebago Camper

Correct. The burner, as well as the power indicator light both stay on after the Off/On button is pushed to shut it off.
Old 04-15-2020, 01:49 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Moving to things that can frequently go wrong, I would look at the connections on the board on the back of the frig. got an outside access panel?
I would look in there and spot any wiring that has a screwdown connection or a quick connect that slip on a lug. It is not uncommon for corrosion to build under the screws or connector that slides on, so working the screw a bit tighter and pulling the quick connect on and off or wiggling it can get some better contact and sometimes will be a pretty cheap and easy fix that is worth trying before investing in a new board. Not impossible to find an RV repair shop that changes the board and it all works when just getting good connection would have done the same. The board isn't always bad but the new board has clean connections!
May not fix it but I do the simple cheap stuff before the harder high priced stuff.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
norcold, panel