Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2021, 06:04 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

electric fireplace not working

I'm not sure when the fireplace quit working in our 2014 Vista 35F, but I'm wondering if traveling over the rough highways of the northeast have loosened something up. How can the fireplace be removed to check things behind the fireplace? Any suggestions on this?
Old 09-24-2021, 01:00 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I need to clean the glass behind mine and in my case the molding will have to be removed. I'm not a carpenter so I'm waiting for a friend to help me. Once the molding is removed I believe there are some screws that hold it into the frame. Removing them should allow for the fireplace to tip out.

Someone else may have better information.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 01:19 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

But before going that route, don't you also have a post about several vent fans not working?
That would lead me to look carefully for a common cause of both fans and fireplace not working. One item that is a frequent flyer is the 12VDC supply, so I might start there as the easier to find rather than removing the fireplace to sort it.

If there are switches to the vent fans or the fireplace, it is much easier to pull switches to check for voltage than to fight to get the fireplace out?

You may need to pull it but I look for easy when facing tough ideas.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 02:55 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

fan in fireplace.

In my 2016 34T Forza the fireplace was putting out the code telling me the unit was overheating. Blower was not working , Took it to Camper Worst ,said I needed new fireplace, fan was not longer avalible , that this one was not made anymore , new one would need cabinet cut out since it would be bigger. WTF! The trim was easily removed, four screws holding frame to cabinet, Got blower removed and located fan on inter-net for $18.00 . Installed and took care of code . Model number of unit and parts are out there . Easy install.
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 05:48 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
But before going that route, don't you also have a post about several vent fans not working?
That would lead me to look carefully for a common cause of both fans and fireplace not working. One item that is a frequent flyer is the 12VDC supply, so I might start there as the easier to find rather than removing the fireplace to sort it.

If there are switches to the vent fans or the fireplace, it is much easier to pull switches to check for voltage than to fight to get the fireplace out?

You may need to pull it but I look for easy when facing tough ideas.
We have made it to our next stop and will be here several days. Hubby will look at the batteries tomorrow. There is no visible switch for the fireplace, it's remote control or turn on at touch pad on front. The fans work by pushing a button, with the exception of the living area, it has a knob (we checked the fuse and it's okay). Thanks for your help.
Old 09-24-2021, 05:53 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Ours is below the TV and above the TV is the panel with the inverter remote and tank level checks and controls for water heater; no molding that I can tell.
Old 09-30-2021, 01:52 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

We have a 2015 35F and had a similar issue with our fireplace. While I can't remember the exact "fix" I do have the information for the company, and they were very helpful. Whatever it was, it was a simple fix.

Although Classicflame is the brand name, it is manufactured by Twin Star Intl. 866-661-1218.

BTW, I doubt it will, but if it comes to removing the fireplace, I believe (I can't check right now) it has to be unbolted from access holes in the bottom of the shelf where the remotes are stored. It doesn't look like it would be a fun job.

Let us know what you find out.
Old 09-30-2021, 08:18 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upinsmoke View Post
We have a 2015 35F and had a similar issue with our fireplace. While I can't remember the exact "fix" I do have the information for the company, and they were very helpful. Whatever it was, it was a simple fix.

Although Classicflame is the brand name, it is manufactured by Twin Star Intl. 866-661-1218.

BTW, I doubt it will, but if it comes to removing the fireplace, I believe (I can't check right now) it has to be unbolted from access holes in the bottom of the shelf where the remotes are stored. It doesn't look like it would be a fun job.

Let us know what you find out.
Thank you so much! We are traveling still and back home next Monday. We will call the company. This is a big help!
Old 09-30-2021, 10:22 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

I may not have made clear what I was thinking on how to go about the repair.

Since removing the fireplace sounds like a big job, I think of where the most likely problems may be and how to test those in the easiest way. It is possible there are connections behind the fireplace but then we KNOW for sure there are connections at the back side of most any switch and those are just as likely to go open as something way back in the hard to reach spots, so I would first check the switches on all the items that don't work as the easy way.

Part of the question is going to be if the switch on the fireplace is simply screwed in on the front or what it involves to get it out but on the vent fans, it is often quite easy to pull the fan off the ceiling to check it.

When new to looking for electrical fixes, it is important to keep one big thing in mind. It takes a full circle (circuit?) for the power to run from the positive side of the battery, through any switches and the item we want to work and get all the way back to ground.
That means if you are looking at one line coming into a switch and find power, you want to also see it get through that switch when the switch is on. And at the same time, if things are correct, we want to have ground showing on the second wire when the switch is open! That leaves it a simple enough test to go to a switch, look for power and ground and if one or the other is not there, we need to move in the direction of the missing one to find WHY.
Since you seem to have at least three items which are not working, the odds are good that it is a ground or power wire which is used by all three items. That makes the connection behind the fireplace not being too likely to be the problem and the last thing I might work hard to get into for checking!

If you pull the fans off and pull enough slack wire out, there should be a code stamped on the wire side and using this chart, you can determine where that wires comes from and to:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ical_guide.pdf

For instance, if you find a wire marked "JB" and it has no power on it, look for the breaker or in that direction as the code says JB comes from the breaker to the vent or other equipment.

It's a bug hunt at times and takes some luck, so good luck to you and it's there somewhere!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wire id copy.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	180980  
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 02:19 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Macevir, I did make one tiny misstatement. From the shelf top, where the remotes are stored, there are no access hole visible. However, if you stick your hands under the shelf fingers up as if you were going to lift, you can feel two holes. One on either end.
So, if, and I don't think it will. you either need to remove the panel (two screws in the back) or locate the holes and drill down through it.

This also is a bit late, but have you checked the batteries and or operating the unit from the switches located on the side. Just last night, our FP wouldn't come on and I thought I had jinxed us. Put new batteries in the remote and it fired right up!

Good luck and again, please let us know how it works out, it's how we all learn.
Old 10-14-2021, 07:25 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I wanted to update on our issues with the roof vent fans, the electric fireplace and the water pump. We arrived home and began to look at our problems. First off, he took the water pump out, tested it and it did turn out the the water pump was bad. He replaced it and now that problem is fixed. Next came the electrical issues. I finally found the gfci outlet on the inverter, it was definitely hard to see/feel. I flipped the reset the switch a couple of times and the fireplace started working but the fans did not! We can live without them for a while (the fuse in the galley is fine). 2 out of 3 fixed is not bad.

Thanks for helping to troubleshoot!
Old 10-15-2021, 02:31 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Glad you were able to solve some of the problems. We had the same problem with our inverter (35F also) since it was "new to us" and the GFCI is almost impossible to reset. On our unit there are 4 outlets which are attached to the inverter. 1) Beside the passenger seat, 2) the TV, 3) one in bedroom (tv?), and I think the 4th one is also in the compartment under the main TV. You'll have to check yours.

I'm surprised the fireplace is on the inverter as it's a high amperage draw which would drain the batteries very quickly. Also, it's unusual for the fireplace to be working and the fans not as it's the fans (naturally) that push the heat out of the fireplace. I'm not being rude, but did you know that the fireplace and heat (fan) are two separate buttons on the remote? Also, I believe it can be operated from buttons on the side of the unit as a double check against the remote.

Finally, I just replaced the GFCI in the inverter with a standard receptacle. I know it takes away the protection (so I can't recommend you do it) but it negated the problem of it tripping. I made a post about this so you could look that up if you choose. If I can help you track down anything, let me know.
Old 10-15-2021, 07:18 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for responding Upinsmoke. Interestingly, I went out to the coach yesterday and the fireplace is not working again! I flipped the inverter gfi a couple of times and no luck. So obviously it's not the inverter. My husband had to pull the steps to try and repair them or replace (cha-ching) so maybe since that ground is not connected, that has interfered? Who knows! I do have the coach on a waiting list at a local RV shop, 2-3 months out with a waiting list of 87 😩 and unable to find a mobile repair guy. So we are back to nonworking fireplace and roof vent fans. Well at least we have a working water pump!
Old 10-16-2021, 02:33 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Macevir, I think at this point I would refer you back to what Morich said a while back. When one thing on an RV doesn't work, it's not only not unusual, it's almost expected.

For two things not to work at the same time, assuming regular preventative maintenance, is pretty unusual. When you enter the realm of three things (steps, vents, and fireplace) not working all at the same time, it screams "common cause." I believe the most common, common cause, is a bad ground(s) somewhere.

While, of course, this doesn't have to be the case, after confirming juice to the appliance, it's where I'd spend my time until proven otherwise.

Good luck and let us know how it shakes out.

Tags
ace, replace