Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2022, 07:03 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

electric and propane heat blow hot air outside

I have a 1999 Ultimate Freedom. The main thermostat allows the selection of either electric or propane heat. On the outside of the coach are 2 exhaust(?) vents each with 2, 2in openings. On is on the passenger side aft of the door. The other is on the driver's side, at the entry to the bedroom. Each has a fan and I am assuming an electric heating element. When I run the heater, I get what seems to be more hot air being exhausted to the outside than through the vent. This just seems wrong. Does anyone have any experience with this and/or a reason why very hot air would be blowing outside?

thanks.
BobS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 04:22 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Here is a link to the owners manual, I skimmed it but saw no mention of the two vents you talk about.
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File.../99Freedom.pdf
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 11:08 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Propane heaters exhaust burn gases to the outside of the rig - otherwise you'd have carbon monoxide inside. Many also have a fresh air intake. This is normal for RVs - and a great place to warm your hands up when working outside.

It's a good suggest to cover these vents with a metal mesh screen - available in big box and RV stores. Wasps love the smell of propane and will nest in these vents and eventually cause the heat system to shut down.
Old 11-30-2022, 07:27 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

RV propane furnaces are not very efficient so yes warming your hands when you are outside works and yes I put the screens on the vents when I was sitting having a cold one and watched a bird fly in with a stick in it's mouth.
Drive safe!
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 04:13 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobS View Post
I have a 1999 Ultimate Freedom. The main thermostat allows the selection of either electric or propane heat. On the outside of the coach are 2 exhaust(?) vents each with 2, 2in openings. On is on the passenger side aft of the door. The other is on the driver's side, at the entry to the bedroom. Each has a fan and I am assuming an electric heating element. When I run the heater, I get what seems to be more hot air being exhausted to the outside than through the vent. This just seems wrong. Does anyone have any experience with this and/or a reason why very hot air would be blowing outside?

thanks.
That is the LP furnaces! The rear LP furnace supplies heat to the wet bays and the bedroom/bathroom.
The front LP furnace supplies heat to the rest of the coach living area.
Your "electric" heat is actually the basement air conditioner/heat pump; it is a true heat pump, powered by 120VAC electricity.
If you'd like to learn more about your Winnebago Ultimate, the Winnebago forum on irv2.com is a wealth of information, there are approx. 8 of us Ultimate series owners there.

Your furnace owners manual states "do not cover these LP exhaust gas vents with bug screens". I haven't in any of my approx. 55 years of owning and using an RV, and have never experienced any problems with any LP furnace.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, propane