Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-29-2022, 06:30 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Dometic dfds12 furnace question

Hi -

I saw on youtube that the outside exhaust vent on the furnace needs to be in place, for the furnace to ignite and stay lit. Well I tested the claim, and the furnace in fact would not keep a flame when removing the exhaust plate. What is the technical reason this happens ? I do not see any sensor on the schematic that senses the heat vent in terms of a photo cell or continuity, does it have something to do with the back pressure or restriction the valve senses , etc ? Any insight appreciated.

Thanks
KevinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 07:47 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I've not studied that model very close to see but I do see it has a sail switch.
Most RV furnace have this switch in the airflow as a safety item.
First step to lighting is the fan comes on, establishes that the sail switch senses good air flow before the gas valve opens.
This keeps the propane from building up in the RV if there is not good air to move it outside! A very good thing!

So if the venting is not good, I would guess the airflow is not there and the sail switch doesn't let the gas valve open. End of cycle until the air flow is corrected.

One big thing that often happens if we are not aware, is the vent gets restricted when something like a wasp, mud dauber, or spider builds a nest in the vent if we don't add a screen to keep them out.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 04:53 PM   #3
2002 Journey WPK36GD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
I've not studied that model very close to see but I do see it has a sail switch.
Most RV furnace have this switch in the airflow as a safety item.
First step to lighting is the fan comes on, establishes that the sail switch senses good air flow before the gas valve opens.
This keeps the propane from building up in the RV if there is not good air to move it outside! A very good thing!

So if the venting is not good, I would guess the airflow is not there and the sail switch doesn't let the gas valve open. End of cycle until the air flow is corrected.

One big thing that often happens if we are not aware, is the vent gets restricted when something like a wasp, mud dauber, or spider builds a nest in the vent if we don't add a screen to keep them out.

Very good reply & my experience also.
CharlesMoore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, dometic, furnace