Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2020, 05:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Dometic basement ac

Good evening. I’m new to winnieowners and I hope I won’t be breaking any rules but here goes. I have a 38 foot, 2007 Itasca Sunrise with a Donetic 2 ton basement heat pump. The issue is that the unit only runs on low. I installed a new thermostat or let’s say I tried. The new thermostat had a 9 pin and 4 pin connects of which the number 1 pin wasn’t used whereas on my 9 pin connector, the number 1pin was used. Needless to say it didn’t work. I found on the Internet that if I ran +12VDC to the “high” side of the speed switch I would be all set. I did that mod which resulted with the furnace fan running on high.
So I guess I’m asking if anyone else ran into the same issue or if someone has a fix. I’m thinking that the next step is to purchase a new circuit board for ac.
Trikerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 06:15 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Sounds like a fun project---if it goes right!
Not an AC/heat pump guy here, so keep that in mind but I do feel okay with electronics in general so might be able to help some.
First thought would be to steer you away from a different board, but I might question how you went about choosing the new thermostat as it seems the thing which is new and not wanting to play with the existing. Not to say you are wrong but more to try tracing back how you got that one? Possible the new has a different layout for th plug pins and switching a few wires is needed?
Part of my concern with wiring 12v direct is that it needs to go through the load shedder or you lose that function.
Have you come across this drawing for your specific year, make, model of RV?
Note that page Two is for RV with heat pumps.
http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_138913.pdf
I might go with this plan if I had a thermostat with a wiring chart to ID connections on it. I might go with one wire at a time, matching the wire use on the RV with the wire ID on the new thermostat. But that is where getting the exact correct thermostat is critical as heat pumps do throw an extra wrinkle in things.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote