Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2020, 03:42 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Dometic 2-way DM2652 will not run on gas

We just returned from a trip and noticed the fridge was not working while in gas mode. We usually have shore power when we camp and only use the gas mode while in route. When we returned on this last trip we noticed an error light and fridge was too warm.

My preliminary investigation with limited electrical skills involved watching some related YouTube videos and taking a gander at what might be happening. On one recommendation I took off the heat shield and tapped the flue to remove as much crud as possible and blew out the gas line where the igniter was with can air. Not much fell from the flue but got what I could.

So the behavior I observed is that when selected to Auto or Gas mode, turning on the fridge the igniter immediately does it's job and lights the pilot light. It then stays on for a about 5 min and then shuts off. It never engages the gas any more. The fridge tries to reignite, does successfully, but this time the pilot light only stays on while igniter is clicking. Once the clicking stops the pilot light goes out.

I did look at the control board and observed that both fuses look alright. And as mentioned, it does run on shore power.

At this point I'm kind of in the dark on what to look for. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0140.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	173607   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0138.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	173608  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0139.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	173609  
Old 05-25-2020, 09:46 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Have you tested the thermocouple? Sounds like it is not generating any voltage to keep the gas valve open when the pilot light heats it up. There are a few walkthroughs out there on how to test if you search Google.
theSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 10:47 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

While looking at the thermocouple (whiter cyclinder?) , look at the point where it should be sticking into the pilot fire. It can get out of place or even break off after it gets corroded enough. The idea is that the thermocouple heats in the pilot to assure the there is fire there before opening the main valve. As it heats, it makes a small electrical signal. If not heated, it will not allow the main gas valve to open as a way to avoid filling things with gas and then explode. Left end of the thermocouple looks a bit odd?? Corrosion or just hard water deposits?
Just as a shotgun idea, it can also be good to tighten any wire connection and wiggle any "quik-connect" connection on the idea that they can often get corroded and wiggles knock the corrosion off.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:05 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Ok, I think I got it. Finding and figuring out what/if I there is a thermocoupler for my model was not very easy. Googling DM2652 Thermocoupler doesn't come up with any concrete results.

Morich, I think you hit it on the head about the wire. While trouble shooting what I assumed is the igniter, the white cylinder with metal wire in the flame I noticed that the wire leading to the control board was not in the best shape. It even started the sparking cycle while being touched one time. You can see in the photo the black heat shielding on the wire was deteriorated. Replaced that this morning, pilot light lit and stayed lit. Is this the thermocoupler for my model?

Now, I'm not sure if a fridge on gas acts like a hot water heater and "kicks in" with the gas with a noticeable whoosh. I waited a good 5-10 min for any change and saw none. The flame was still going though so that was progress, it hadn't shut off. Come back 30 min later and the fridge is noticeable working, sound coming from the device and cooling is happening. So, I"m assuming the flame is not so much a "pilot" light, but just the flame it needs on or off?

That part was easy to get off Amazon and I ordered that to replace regardless.Easy installation and so far so good. Will let it run rest of the day and make sure that it doesn't kick off.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:36 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Yes! You are correct on a number of points. The flame of the frig is tiny compared to the furnace or water heater. Rarely hear it and more like a cigarette lighter flame than a blowtorch.
If you don't have a manual for that model, a look to find one online would be a good move as they often have a small troubleshooting section and it can give good clues to what to expect. Not that it may be needed for now but just reading through to get the idea of what should and should not happens can give you good peace of mind later.
Also a point to keep in mind on some RV is the way the frig can get wierd and act as if it has trouble.
When we leave and check the frig on gas, it may run for a couple minutes and then quit, but if we just recycle it, all is fine. It acts as if there is a "bubble" in the gas line but I have no idea how that could be true. We have tested for leaks and don't lose gas or anything that would seem right for letting an air bubble get in the line but it did give us heartburn the first few times. And it has been true on several Rv we have had. No explanation but if it goes out, we just relight and it stays on!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 09:27 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Do your stove/oven and water heater on gas work? If so, another thing to consider is that if the RV sits for a little bit, the gas lines may need to be bled before using the fridge on gas. If ours has not been used for a little bit, the fridge will not always light on gas. I have to turn on the stove top for a brief time (less than a minute) to get gas into the line then turn the fridge on gas. I don’t know if air gets into the line or the gas goes out of the line.
JuneP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas