Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-18-2021, 05:59 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

does the AC keep up?

My question is for anyone with a 2019 Adventurer 36z in particular, or any dark painted model. I am curious if the factory air conditioners are able to keep up (keeping the coach cool), since it has so much black paint on the exterior. Especially interested in any experiences in hot environments like Southern California, or Arizona during the summer. Any information would be helpful.
Thank you.
Jerry
09 Ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 07:47 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I have a 2012 Itasca 37F and the AC has no trouble keeping it cool in Florida, New Mexico or California. The secret is to set the desired temperature before it starts to heat up. The AC can keep it cool but may not be able to bring the temperature down in a reasonable amount of time, if it has 15-20 degrees to recover.
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 05:45 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

38 Q struggles

Our 2016 38Q has 2 Coleman Mach heat pumps and is gray in color. In the south and desert west the forward A/C has struggles to keep the forward area cool during the hot months. It would have been nice to have the 15,000 BTU instead of the 13.5 BTU units. Most of the problem on ours seems to be the greenhouse effect of the large front windshield and the lack of adequate insulation on the brow cap making for a very hot area in the forward cab when exposed to direct sun.

Insulation can be added to help with the brow cap area (on my to do list). And Mtn Charlie offers a good technique we often follow.
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 07:59 AM   #4
Site Team

Pretty much the same as Joe above. Start cooling extra early, park facing morning sun not afternoon sun (because of the front window), keep shades drawn all day.

In 100 degree temps the RV can be 83 in late in the day even with the A/C running all day.

We work hard to not encounter temps above 90. It’s just no fun.
Old 12-19-2021, 08:38 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Our Via has dark brown almost black on the front cockpit roof area and can be tough to cool when in direct sun. If possible parking so the windshield is not facing the sun helps a lot, I also made interior windshield sun shades out of Reflectix for all the cockpit glass which works great. Like creativepart recommends it helps to start cooling early, if you know it's going to be a problem start the generator and run the coach AC a while before arriving at camp.

I can't really say if it's the dark paint or all the glass that creates the most solar gain but probably a combination of both. On my to do list it to change the cockpit roof color to white and just leave the brown at the edges where it is visible from the ground like they did on the rest of the coach.
Old 12-19-2021, 06:06 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Mtn Charlie is right. Another secret is to run your A/C off your generator while driving to your site. You'll be nice and cool while driving and, when you get there, you won't have a heat load to overcome. The fuel use is minimal.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 09:26 PM   #7
RVCalypso

Regardless of color, no RV AC unit will keep you cool in the summers in Arizona. Most AC units will cool about 20 degrees so, if it's 115 outside it's going to be 95 inside.
gurroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 05:34 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

A lot depends upon sun exposure.

From personal experience our coach 2013 36M with two mach AC can not keep up in YUMA Arizona starting in late March if the coach is oriented North/South such that one whole side gets exposed to the setting sun.

We have never been there in June/July/August but I'd be surprised if the A/C could keep it much more than 10 or 15 degrees less than outside unless completely shaded.
cruizerEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 12:16 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Dark Colors are Bad

I live in AZ and own a 2011 Adventurer that is Black, Tan and Red. In full sun on a 107 deg day I measured the outside with an IR thermometer. Tan was 130deg, Red was 160 deg and Black was 196 deg. The Black is mainly in the front with less insulation and more windows so I am lucky to maintain a 20 deg temperature drop. Never buy a coach with Black paint.
Keith H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 12:28 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurroz View Post
Regardless of color, no RV AC unit will keep you cool in the summers in Arizona. Most AC units will cool about 20 degrees so, if it's 115 outside it's going to be 95 inside.
They cool the air blowing out the vents to 20 degrees below the INSIDE air that they are sucking in, nothing to do with the temps outside.

So the advice to start early in the day is great.
Old 01-01-2022, 06:43 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for all the responses. We are considering purchasing a 2019 Adventurer 36z. Does anyone know what make and model of air conditioners are on this unit. I am thinking about adding the RVairflow systems. Does anyone have any experience with these? Do the work as well as advertised?
09 Ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 09:45 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

09 Ultra,
Another suggestion is to purchase the NASA Space Foil (insulating foil that can be found at Lowe's) and cut to size for all the windows, front, sides, and back. When we were in some extreme heat in our previous MH I did that and it dropped the temperature inside by 10 degrees, minimum.

In this present MH we are going to go a step further this year and use that same foil to insulate the inside of the cabinet and closet walls. There is quite a heat build up inside of those areas. It may not decrease the heat inside the coach but it will sure cut it down inside those areas.

We now have 3 Roof top AC's and when the pedestal will withstand it, the 3 keep us very comfortable. We don't run the roof AC traveling down the road except in extreme rare cases. The dash air keeps us very comfortable. What we will do is start the generator about 6 or 8 miles from the CG and turn on the house AC's. When we get to the CG the RV is cooled enough through check-in and set-up that when we change over to pedestal power the coach is cooled down considerably.

Trial and error is in your future!
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 08:14 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhannah View Post
They cool the air blowing out the vents to 20 degrees below the INSIDE air that they are sucking in, nothing to do with the temps outside.

So the advice to start early in the day is great.
Danhanna is correct in stating that the AC should cool the air 20 degrees or so below the ambient inside temperature, not the outside temperature. However the outside temperature will affect the ambient inside air temperature as the day goes on, as the walls and roof heat up, as the windows let in heat, etc.

Get an inexpensive infrared laser thermometer from Harbor Freight and measure the temperature of the air coming out of your vents and the air going into your return vent(s). There should be approximately a 20 degree differential. If there is, your AC is doing all it can. Other thermometers will work but the infrared type is the most convenient. It's also useful for many other purposes including checking your AC at home.

I also agree that the best thing you can do is to is to avoid a heat build-up by starting early and running your AC of your generator on the way to the campground. Doing so makes a huge difference.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 08:19 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
09 Ultra,
Another suggestion is to purchase the NASA Space Foil (insulating foil that can be found at Lowe's) and cut to size for all the windows, front, sides, and back.
Is this the same as Reflectix? I used Reflectix after reading that everyone uses it, it is silver with tiny air pockets similar to bubble wrap. First I've heard of this NASA stuff, is it better?

edit: All I can find on the Lowes site is Reflectix, are we talking about the same thing?
Old 01-03-2022, 04:17 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Brian, what's in a name, eh! Yes, I believe it is the same stuff. Silver rolls like bubble wrap. Camping stores (some) would have it also. Regardless of name it is bubble type reflective screen.

Like this stuff on Amazon but the wider stuff. Cut it to fit. In my previous MH I cut it to the size of the window and didn't need any type of hold-down to keep it in place. It fit up under the shade and stayed there until we pulled it down. For storage we put it in the closet against the back wall.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote