Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-24-2018, 07:03 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

DC Refrigerator Question

Can someone enlighten me as to what a DC refrigerator is?

Our Winnebago came with a residential refrig(120v) vs. the 12v?/lp fridge and we are very happy with the change though we miss the LP when boondocking but overall happier with the residential refrig.

I have seen several rferences to a DC refrig and was wondering what brnd they are and the benefits(or not) of them.

Thanks

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 07:50 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
Can someone enlighten me as to what a DC refrigerator is?

Our Winnebago came with a residential refrig(120v) vs. the 12v?/lp fridge and we are very happy with the change though we miss the LP when boondocking but overall happier with the residential refrig.

I have seen several rferences to a DC refrig and was wondering what brnd they are and the benefits(or not) of them.

Thanks
Great questions. I'm learning also before we decide which Class C to buy. All interesting but sometimes very confusing.
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 09:46 AM   #3
Site Team

Sue/Tom;
A "DC Fridge" is unlike a RV fridge in one major way. A compressor.

A RV fridge is a gas absorption device. It uses heat as it's main cooling function which is why it works on 12v OR LPG. Either fuel is used to create heat to evaporate the gas and create cooling. A DC fridge has a compressor to create cooling - like a residential fridge - BUT the compressor in a DC Fridge runs on 12v DC current. While a residential fridge also has a compressor but it runs on 110v AC current.

For either a DC Fridge or a Residential fridge you need either to be plugged into shore power (or on a generator) OR a battery bank with sufficient power storage.

With the DC Fridge when plugged into shore power your converter (or inverter/charger) provides 12v to run the fridge compressor. When you are not plugged in or using your generator then your battery bank provides the 12v power.

With a Residential Fridge when plugged into shore power or running your generator you are delivering 110v to run the fridge compressor. When you are not plugged in or using your generator then your battery bank provides 110v power from an inverter that transforms 12v into 110v.

Many people prefer a compressor type of fridge because of how quickly they cool down and how cold they can get. Also, there is a slight fire hazard with gas absorption fridges that is eliminated with compressor type fridges. There is also a cost difference with gas absorption fridges costing much more than similar sized compressor fridges.

Certainly there are a great many RVers that like the option of using LPG to run their fridge which make the RV Fridge a great option for folks that want to spend a lot of time unplugged.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:01 AM   #4
Site Team

FYI Sue and Tom, I moved your question about DC Refrigeration out of the Adding Solar thread and into it's own thread.

I hope this helps you get all your questions noticed and answered.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:05 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for the explanation. We are working with our son-in-law to get a new TT. We haven't yet seen the DC refrig option yet so I guess it is relatively new. Good to be aware of it.

Why would I want a DC fridge over a AC fridge?? I would think an AC fridge would be better. Also, when the fridge dies, you can just go to HD or Lowes and get a new one vs. a DC fridge.

Am I missing something?

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 11-24-2018, 10:08 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Thanks

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 11-24-2018, 10:19 AM   #7
Site Team

I'm seeing DC Compressor fridges on Class Bs and Vans and sometimes on Class C's. I think most of them are smaller in size. I've heard people talk about them in TTs but not personally seen any.

There is a company selling DC Compressor fridges as a replacement for RV Fridges. If you have an RV with a RV Fridge and it fails, or you simply want to replace it, you could purchase the replacement DC Compressor fridge for a lot less than purchasing a new RV Fridge to replace a failed unit.

Yes, if you get a residential fridge you can go to Lowes and purchase a replacement for much less.

HOWEVER, because a residential fridge needs 110v to operate, this means you have to outfit your RV with a generator and a larger batter bank and an inverter, at the least. And most folks like to add some solar panels/charging capability, as well. All of these items add more cost than simply going with a RV fridge, even though an RV Fridge is more expensive to purchase.

Keep in mind, RVers have lived happily with RV Fridges for decades. I've had 5 RVs (3-TTS, 1-Class C and 1-Class A). The RV fridges in the first 4 were fine. We have a residential fridge in our Class A. And we love, love, love it. However, our RV came with solar panels, larger batteries and an inverter from the factory, too.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:32 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Thanks. Our MH also has a residential refrig and we really love it. We do boondock on and off and have added 4 panels(165w) each, a better battery monitor and 4 AGM batteries(mainly because DH was lazy and the batteries were not on a slideout tray-poor design).

We originally had 2 panels and added 2 more on a separate controller. This way we can add 2 more panels easily and we do have the roof space for 2 more. Also less expensive have two controllers.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 11-24-2018, 12:03 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Personally, for our style of Rv'g, an AC/LPG refrigerator is essential. We spend too much time without shore power for anything else to be practical.

IMHO, your camping style is the key factor in making your choice. Admittedly, I've never had a DC or residential refrigerator but I don't see how the advantages would be worth my significantly expanding my solar capacity.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 12:42 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

We would have preferred an lp refrig but were limited to what was on the lot. Even if we ordered the only other option was the Norcold 4 door which we did not want for various reasons.

We were fine with the 2 solars and 4 AGM, just wanted some additional solar if we needed it. The 4 AGMs made the biggest difference for us.

I think the rule of thumb is 3 panels with a residential refrig is the minimum.

There are a lot of people who have solar and never boondock, I don't understand why. Maybe ego.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 11-24-2018, 01:15 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
There are a lot of people who have solar and never boondock, I don't understand why. Maybe ego.
Hand Up! I'm one of those. We never spend more than one night unplugged. And since my RV came with one 100 watt panel and the ability to add two more panels for very little money and no other cost, I added the other 200 watts.

Part of me wanted to see what was possible on 300 watts total. Part of me thought it was so cheap to do ($240) that why not. Part of me thought it was cool to have solar power. And that part was probably ego.

I also think I'd like to boondock. Even though we plan every trip, always make reservations and always try to stay at highly rated RV parks it's still nice to think I could go out for three or four nights without power worries.

I'm also the guy with cell phone boosters, wifi boosters, Roku streamers on every TV and such. I like having cool stuff.

But you are not incorrect. It doesn't make a lot of sense. But it is fun.
Old 11-24-2018, 01:25 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Some of us just like our toys.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 11-24-2018, 01:31 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

When I think of 12VDC for frig, I think of the three way type we used to get. It cycled through and ran on the priority as available and it saved a fair amount of LP. It would go to AC if available, DC if not and then as a last try it went to LP. The big advantage was traveling on DC you could leave the gas off, making it a bit easier to came to tunels where required to have it off and then not have to redo and turn it on but really rarely do anything on switching except to look that it did make the change.
Over time, if we look closely we will find lots of changes are not made to meet market demand but more to meet profit demands!
The one currently bugging me is that we can no longer just change out the rubber parts of wipers! One of the downsides if we lose the Chinese trade is that we will only have what the US market provides. And that means it costs me $56 instead of $5.
Now if I could just find a MH with a three way frig!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 01:54 PM   #14
Site Team

Morich, I think you are underestimating the market demand. I would guesstimate that 85% of Class A buyers would not buy a newer or new RV without a Residential Fridge.

Just call a RV Renovator and ask them what the waiting time is to change out, at great cost, your RV Fridge to a Residential Fridge in your motorhome.

The RV Fridge is going away completely in new Class A RVs. And next will likely be Class Cs. Class Bs are already getting away from RV fridges and 5th Wheels are going the same way.

I totally get that folks want off the grid refrigeration without $5000 worth of solar equipment. But as a part of the market for newer or new RVs that group is not the driving force in the demand curve.

PS. And once you own an RV with a residential fridge you'll never want to go back. It's just a fact.
Old 11-24-2018, 02:06 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Since we are doing some reminiscing we had Olympian Catalytic heaters and were able to change out our own pads ever 5-8 years. Now you need to ship the entire unit back to get it changed. The actual unit hasn't changed, probably some govt. regulation.

I agree, we love the residential refrig but when boondocking miss the LPG refrig. I remember the 12v/110v/LP refrig, never understood why they disappeared, I guess $.

The world moves on...............

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 11-24-2018, 04:41 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Maybe this trend means that our scenic and quiet no hookup sites will become more available.

Don't get me wrong, we do full hookup camping as well, maybe 50/50. I need the flexibility.

I guess I won't be buying a new motorhome (not that I was going to anyway).
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 05:00 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
I remember the 12v/110v/LP refrig, never understood why they disappeared, I guess $.
I think it's as simple as some of the really mega-high dollar RVs started installing Residential fridges a number of years ago and people liked them. Soon the trend moved down into lower and lower priced RVs because people saw them as a real luxury item.

It's not a conspiracy. If buyers demanded RV Fridges they'd be back in a minute. But it's the other way around buyers are demanding Residential Fridges. It may not work for all. But that's how the market works. RV manufacturers make what sells.

If there is strong demand for RV Fridges in Class A motorhomes you can bet that some manufacturers will offer them as options.
Old 11-24-2018, 05:00 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

The obvious advantages of having three options instead of two would seem to make the difference very obvious. If one wanted a full time 110 frig that was an item that was slow to come around for RV's while there will always be folks who want to do some of each. We liked having the freedom to choose which power source to use in any given situation. When plugged in the 110 was better, when we had no 110 the gas would get us by but when driving down the road, it sure made sense to let the engine provide the power and save the LP for other times.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 04:07 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Household Fridge in Motorhome...

I had a Winnebago Forza 38r. Nice motorhome by the way..I asked a factory rep about the fridge. Replacing it if need be. Answer: Take apart the drivers window and get some help. Claims it's the only way. Did some measuring and I believe he was right...Not a good choice for a person who boondocks a lot...
sammax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 05:01 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

DC fridges are just starting to be used in the RV marketplace. We owned a sail boat and the DC fridge is really the only option and have been around for 25 plus years. It is a compressor fridge powered by 12 volts. For marine applications, propane is not an option due to the gas risk.
In an RV, a DC fridge is superior to a gas absorption fridge - in my opinion having owned both - but a residential fridge is more desirable in a larger coach. Gas absorption fridges became a major fire threat in class A RVs with the large Norcold product and it's problems accelerating the rush to convert to a residential fridge.
Winnebago used a 12v DC fridge in the View/Navion line recently however I am uncertain if they are still installing the unit. With access to shore power, the fridge can easily be powered by the converter as the current draw is relatively low. With solar and a smaller RV, the DC fridge would be the superior option for me as it can easily be powered when boondocking now that solar panels are relatively inexpensive and readily available.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator