Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-23-2020, 08:46 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

I've done both. Our 2004 39' Chieftain has basement heat pump, heat and AC.

I replaced the basement unit myself. It was a chore for this old man, but I managed it just fine.

I also installed a roof ac in the front part of the coach. I replaced one of the powered vents. Because the roof ac drew more power than the vent, I had to run power from a new breaker to the new ac. This meant snaking it along a floor wire race to the command center midway, then using a wire fishing tool to jam a channel in the ceiling styrofoam insulation.

Once that was accomplished, I took it to a local Camping World where I purchased and had them install the new roof ac.

Now, we have the basement ducted heat and AC, and a supplemental unit up front.

Good luck!
John L
jllarson3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 12:17 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

I have had two motorhomes, a 2002 Monaco La Palma with two 15,000 BTU roof air units and my present 2005 Winnebago Adventurer with the basement air/heat pump unit. After having both, I like the basement air/heat unit much, much better. It's quieter and cools the the coach down much faster and maintains the temperature with less effort. Its more efficient and draws less power, about 26 amps. And it has an easy to replace home air filter that is much more efficient rather than the thin foam filter on a roof unit.

Why do you need to replace the whole unit and not just the parts that need replacement? You could also check into a used unit or parts from Visone RV https://rvpartsvisonerv..com Your present duct system isn't configured to work with roof air units and not having that would make the roof air units less efficient.

I think before I'd make a major change like that I'd look for a different motorhome.
deucehotrods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 05:45 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

I would be concerned about changing the center of moment of the coach by taking the ballast weight of the basement air unit mounted below the floor and replacing it with a few hundred pounds of weight above the roof. It may be passable driving under perfect road conditions however in certain situations physics will win out and cause the coach to sway and pitch more.

Personally I bought the basement air coach because I really did not like the difference in the way similar sized coaches with roof top units handled compared to the basement air coaches when you had uneven road conditions. I performed a sway inducing slalom maneuver when I test drove each coach to vet this out and there was a difference in handling when comparing the two especially on the gas powered coaches.

My residential AC service man loves the basement AC units and would have no problem working on them to replace a compressor, etc. The unit is similar to what is used to provide air conditioning in mobile homes and park model RV's so most standard air conditioning service personnel can repair them even if they don't realize it themselves.
Old 09-24-2020, 10:24 AM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by be happy View Post
Seeing how no one has jumped on this. My opinion is thats a bad idea! As for the whole in the roof most AC's will replace one or two of the roof vents all ready there. You are most likely going to need two AC's although you did not say what size coach you have. Now think wiring, 120v and thermostat wires will have to be pulled somehow through the ceiling. Duck work is going to be another challenge, hooking up to the work you all ready have will be a very hard task i would think.

Sorry my thoughts are not positive but I would look at a different plan.
Yes we installed a 13,5000 roof unit in the front vent on a 37B Winnebago it was a breeze. it had a electric circuit in the front for a washer and dryer not being used and took power from there. we did not go through the duct and it just blows directly in the coach between it and basement air it works fantastic, generator an shore cord handles the job well.
Oddjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:25 AM   #25
Winnebago Camper

I agree.Have you looked in to repairing yours? Parts are available.I repaired mine.
BobbyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:42 AM   #26
Winnebago Camper

I love my basement a/c live in Ariz. serviced unit works great. the foof unit iI installed was on my friends 37B
Oddjob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof