Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-28-2022, 08:31 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Convection Microwave Heat in Micro Minnie 2108TB

I have a High Pointe convection microwave in my 2021 2108TB. It is located above the stove and abuts the ceiling.

I was using it over the weekend for the first time and noticed that the ceiling got very hot. Is this normal?

I have never used a convection microwave before and I followed the instructions.

Thanks for any help.
minniecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 11:30 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Following this as we have not yet used ours but want to.
Old 06-28-2022, 05:39 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

We tried using ours, and it did get hot. Too much heat inside our small Micro Minnie. Plus we couldn’t understand how to program it for the temperature we wanted to cook a meal. Gave up on it and bought a toaster/air fryer oven, which we carry under the dinette, and set up on a small table near the outside ac outlet. Now we only use the conv for microwave duties when we have hookups, but normally it’s used for storage.
Old 07-14-2022, 08:11 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We use our HighPointe Convection/ microwave oven only as a microwave. As others we have a toaster oven, we use for toast, and non microwave uses. No baking with this oven for us.
thataway4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 09:28 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I at first was not going to say anything because I do have your unit or oven. However after thinking about it I thought I would ash this question.

Does the microwave/ convection oven have a vent to the out side? If so could that vent cover be blocked by something? I know when I use my convection oven the oven fan blowes alot of hot air to the outside vent.

Good luck safe travels
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 10:09 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

it does have a vent, but still got the ceiling very hot.
Old 07-15-2022, 10:10 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thank you. We decided to go the toaster oven route also.
Old 08-29-2022, 08:02 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Used the convection feature twice

I also have a High Pointe and I used the convection feature twice so far: first time was for frozen pizza, second for frozen fries. I really didn't check the temperature around it, but nothing got damaged. For the pizza I used the round grill with 3 legs that came with the oven, so that the pizza was more or less on the center height wise. The fries I put them directly on the glass plate and to my surprise they came out ok.
gaustein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 06:00 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

An owner must realize "convection" is just a different term than electric oven, they are the same thing and work exactly the same.
The convection and microwave functions may be used at the same time on some brands.

gaustein; Do not cook directly on the glass turntable. Hot spots may develop and cause the glass to shatter. You are correct about using the wire stand when using the convection mode.
Our Sharp came with 2 different stands, for a total of 4 different cooking heights
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 06:47 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Seems to be lots of confusion and general lack of knowledge of convection cooking, so here is a link to get much better ideas and much more detail than I would care to write out!

https://www.thekitchn.com/whats-a-co...kitchen-216549

Like any change in the way we cook, it took a few tries for my wife to get into using the convection but once she found what it could do, we are not likely to ever buy another stove if it doesn't do the convection cooking as it is so much better!
Casseroles come out quicker, meats come out much less dry.

Definitely not your grandma's electric oven !
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 06:34 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

So I guess thst in order to use the convection for things other than pizza (especially if juices or grease is involved) I shoould buy a round metal tray that fits unside the round grill that came with the oven?
Old 09-24-2022, 07:54 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Since one of the big differnces on convection is the speed of cooking, we can get better results on that point if we let the hot air go all the way around the food. Reading the post I linked to explains that point better than me!

My "head chef" is not here at the moment to check how she does it but I might guess letting the hot air in and under as well as all around the sides would let it reduce the time?

One of the big things she has mentioned is cutting back the time for auto cooking as things do get done quicker.
She does have mixed feelings about the amount of grease spray she gets with the convection so she has some doubts for small things and having to clean more but she is still learning what items she wants the speed versus less cleaning.

But I should state upfront that I barely know how to turn the knobs!!
We both have our fields and cooking is not my top item! But this is one she has gone to the book on a lot more than most!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 09:44 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Hot air baking/convection must be on a rack so hot air surrounds the food or results are poor. Our convection/microwave has the fan in one end, this means that end of a tray of biscuits must be rotated 180° half-way through baking time so all bake evenly.
If the proper rack height is not selected the biscuits may be either burned on the bottom or top.
It's kinda like learning to dance, you get better with each practice session.

I'm the one who uses our convection/microwave oven in the MH, it is 5' from the MH floor, DW is 5'2". I'm not comfortable with DW trying to remove a hot pan when it is over her head, so I'm elected.
The convection oven at home is built-in at 30" high so we both are comfortable with her removing hot liquids and dishes.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 02:29 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Ha! Reached out to Winnebago with this exact concern over the excessive heat it generates in the roof liner. We have a 2108 FBS FLX and it makes the roof too hot to the touch.

Winnebago had their engineers test one out and came back with essentially… it’s within tolerances for the roof liner. Supposedly rated to 400° but I’d bet the heat will warp and discolor it in the least.

We just stick with microwaving now. Unless I get some thermal barrier to put up there I’m not risking it. The “vent” only vents the heat inside and it’s at the top of the convection microwave so it’s not going to help in this particular design. In my opinion there needs to be more space or better venting to direct it safely elsewhere.
Speedbump is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat