Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2018, 11:00 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Compressor/Solar Fridge

We do quite a bit of boondocking (3-5 days at a time), and out Norcold has started it's decline. Despite added fans, it seems to be having a harder and harder time keeping up. Basic checks show AC heaters and Propane burner are good, and fans are coming on when required. I've also added two additional fans in the stack to help exhaust. Most of the decrease in performance seems to be while in motion on LP, but overall there has been a decrease as well. Unfortunately, many of our boondocking spots aren't nearly level, so we will continue to damage the LP fridge.

Although we plan to add some solar, I don't believe we'll be adding enough panels or batteries to adequately support a residential fridge. Searches only turn up one old (2008) discussion about compressor fridges. Anyone with more recent experience? Not just the Norcold versions, but Tundra, Dometic, Novakool etc? Or the solar residential fridges (i.e. Ecosolarcool or Danzer)?

Considering a Novakool RFU9000 AC/DC plus a Dometic CFX75 to make up the capacity difference in our Journey
Old 05-31-2018, 11:50 AM   #2

"Although we plan to add some solar, I don't believe we'll be adding enough panels or batteries to adequately support a residential fridge."

I disagree with your solar goal. Do the system...panels, wiring, controller and batteries adequately to handle a residential fridge. With enough roof real estate for 500 to 600 watts and batteries...probably six GC...it can be done.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 12:16 PM   #3

"Considering a Novakool RFU9000 AC/DC plus a Dometic CFX75"

AC/DC is a good choice. Inverters don't consume making 120 AC much but you'll save that using DC.
Old 06-01-2018, 07:23 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudrnnr View Post
We do quite a bit of boondocking (3-5 days at a time), and out Norcold has started it's decline. Unfortunately, many of our boondocking spots aren't nearly level, so we will continue to damage the LP fridge.
Is there a reason you don't level up your camper in these spots?
Old 06-02-2018, 12:18 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Stagger, in a couple of the spots we end up going, the only way to get level is to use all of the jack, plus large blocks--and to have low side wheels far off the ground. I can get to within about six degrees, no way I'm getting to 3.
Old 06-02-2018, 07:08 AM   #6

I’d pass on that campground.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:21 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

LOL, if it were a campground, I would do the same! This is event parking at a remote private location. Our Journey does a fair amount of "off pavement" time.
Old 06-02-2018, 11:16 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Time for a larger battery bank (at least 6), 400 - 600 watts of solar (or run your generator 2X/day) and a residential refrigerator. You may also need a pure sine wave inverter.

Residential refrigerators (thanks to Energy Star) consume remarkably little amounts of electricity. Most use less than 3 amps when running and they have huge amounts of storage compared to your old propane model. And level is not needed.

An approach you hadn't considered, I'm sure.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 01:30 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Roger,
Thought of that. If I could squeeze in 6 batteries, I'd be going that way. Just can't make it fit, from a space or weight perspective.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:17 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via MSN to e4services
Yes, I have a Beaver Patriot with an electric residential frig., granted it has 8 house batteries, but with 200W of solar, in the summer it keeps up with the frig. THese new frigs , once cold, don't use alot of watt hours Wh. Take a look at there specs.
I spent a week, dry, running the generator in the mornings to support coffee and the Microwave and was just fine
e4services is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:08 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Just a suggestion

Just a suggestion, my fridge wasn’t working well at all on lp, after checking regulator, cleaning orifice and blowing it out, and making sure venting was unobstructed, a dealer even wanted to replace control board. Finally I swapped the orifice with the one in our fifth wheel. The fridge now cools fine. Must have been something really stuck in the orifice, my model has a one piece unit with the burner tube and it is difficult to direct the air into the orifice. The flame looked ok and if you weren’t familiar with the appearance you wouldn’t know it wasn’t strong enough.
Noahsmom18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:48 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahsmom18 View Post
Just a suggestion, my fridge wasn’t working well at all on lp, after checking regulator, cleaning orifice and blowing it out, and making sure venting was unobstructed, a dealer even wanted to replace control board. Finally I swapped the orifice with the one in our fifth wheel. The fridge now cools fine. Must have been something really stuck in the orifice, my model has a one piece unit with the burner tube and it is difficult to direct the air into the orifice. The flame looked ok and if you weren’t familiar with the appearance you wouldn’t know it wasn’t strong enough.
Ours is working well--main problem appears to be worn out door gaskets. Problem is, there is no replacement for the gasket without replacing the doors, and two doors will cost me more than a residential fridge, put all 4 together and I can almost buy a residential plus solar panels!
Old 06-13-2018, 10:51 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Time for a larger battery bank (at least 6), 400 - 600 watts of solar (or run your generator 2X/day) and a residential refrigerator. You may also need a pure sine wave inverter.

Residential refrigerators (thanks to Energy Star) consume remarkably little amounts of electricity. Most use less than 3 amps when running and they have huge amounts of storage compared to your old propane model. And level is not needed.

An approach you hadn't considered, I'm sure.
Roger, I'm just about settled in to the idea that we'll end up with a Samsung, 700w of solar, and 4 GC batteries. We'll probably still need the genny from time to time, but we run it anyway for the microwave and air a few times during a weekend. Probably stages--limp the Norcold through until after I do the panels, then a rewire that will include a new pure sine inverter, then the batteries. Projects...

Tags
compressor, fridge, solar