Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2021, 06:19 AM   #1
SueAndChris

Coleman Max thermostat fail?

This is a new RV for us and we've used it just a few days. At first the thermostat worked fine, but now the temperature indicator does not come on (tiny screen is blank - no numbers show)... meaning we cannot set a temp for "auto" to work.

The propane heater works fine, however it stays on till you turn it off... meaning we are getting up and down during night to regulate temp.

The electric heater seems to just run the fan or even AC when we try to turn it on now.

Any ideas?
SueAndChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 06:45 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Welcome to the forum! I’d try a reset to start, disconnect shore power (if plugged in) and then flip the battery disconnect switches to kill power to the unit for a couple min and then turn everything back on and plug in. Sometimes things just need a “reboot”. If that doesn’t work there are others here with a more skills then mine, but I’d start with the basics given its “kinda” working for the furnace.
Old 01-24-2021, 08:25 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

It may have a fuse on its circuit board. I'd check that first.

Otherwise, this may help:

http://www.cleggind.com/postal_tech/...376%5B1%5D.pdf
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 08:29 AM   #4
Site Team

It would help a bunch if you informed us of the year, model and floor plan designation of your RV.
Old 01-24-2021, 08:43 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

The details are always important as things do change so much year to year. One item might be if you really meant the Coleman Mach?

If it is that one and of the older variety that is not digital, I would really recommend going to a digital for around $20-30 dollars to get the far better operation. If you know folks who have changed out their home thermostat for programmable, it is possible to find the correct open for RV use at garage sales/salvage shops!

If doing this upgrade, you will likely hear the idea that it won't work from folks who don't think very deep but that is a whole different problem and it is certainly possible to get it done!

But again the devil is on the details!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 06:53 AM   #6
SueAndChris

Thanks all....

Thanks to all... yes it was. Coleman Mach (I misunderstood what Chris was saying). We have a 2007 Outlook... New to us so not sure if we are doing something wrong or if we have gremlins.

Our first issue was all the house lights worked but the electrical outlets didn't. Trying to test and reset GFCI didn't work. Then the display went out on thermostat too.

Your suggestions helped both... we disconnected from shore power and turned off house batteries at door. We even flipped breakers off.

We kept off for a few minutes then turned all back on and thermostat was back to normal and was able to reset GFCI outlet getting outlets to work.

So last night was great and heat was regulating normally.

However when we got up this morning outlets were not working again and we were again unable to test and reset GFCI outlet.

Any more ideas or do we have a faulty circuit?
SueAndChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 07:21 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

We can't be really specific as there are 5 different floorplans for the 2007 outlook and each may have the wiring laid in a bit different.

What is needed is to look at how the wire feeds from the load center to the GFCI and from there on to the other outlets which it protects. once you know the power goes from this point to the next, you can begin to look for the "open spot" in the road!

It may be as simple as the GFCI is tripping because something is drawing too much current or a slight short, like an exterior outlet getting wet or it could be the GFCI has been tripped too often and gotten too weak and trips too easily.

A first thing that I recommend is going to each outlet that the GFCI feeds and unplugging everything to reduce and potential problems like a bad toaster, etc.
Once the potential problems are removed, try to reset the GFCI but keep in mind that the GFCI has to have power coming to it to work, so knowing which breaker feeds it is important as well.

The drawings for your specific RV are here but to use them someone has to look at the right year, model and floorplan like 325F or 331H and sometimes even whether it was an early year model or later, depending on serial number. On your year outlook I don't see any mid year changes.

This is where to find the drawings but if any questions we can help read them:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ram/Wiring.htm
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 08:31 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueAndChris View Post
We have a 2007 Outlook...
Thanks for telling us the year and model... now how about the specific floor plan model number?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CEBCFCC7-3D2D-46D6-9134-6FC607B0591E.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	207.1 KB
ID:	176981  
Old 01-25-2021, 08:40 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

It's a good idea to set up a signature like mine and creativepart's so that the info on your MH is in every post you make. You do it via the User Control Panel (User CP on the tool bar).
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 06:45 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueAndChris View Post
This is a new RV for us and we've used it just a few days. At first the thermostat worked fine, but now the temperature indicator does not come on (tiny screen is blank - no numbers show)... meaning we cannot set a temp for "auto" to work.

The propane heater works fine, however it stays on till you turn it off... meaning we are getting up and down during night to regulate temp.

The electric heater seems to just run the fan or even AC when we try to turn it on now.

Any ideas?
Here is my suggestion. The thermostat has a plug that goes to the RV wiring harness for the HVAC control. Remove the cover of the thermostat. Remove the mounting screws and pull the harness connector through the opening. (I have to remove the inverter control to help with the harness strain.) With the thermostat in hand, remove the screws holding the circuit board to the case. Now you have access to the readout module. Remove the screws holding it on. Make certain the connections are clean free of debris. (My thermostat was not changing functions properly. I found bits of plastic shavings in the switch contacts. Problem solved.)

Hope this works for you.
Old 02-01-2021, 07:58 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Thermostat

I can't say the issue is the same, but when I first took ownership of my 2014 (built in 2013), the thermostat failed during our first day, still in the exchange lot at Lazydays. I was shown how to just disconnect 12v power for a few seconds and it came right back. Over the next many months, thermostats were replaced multiple times and it didn't resolve the problem. I was told it was caused by electronic interference. I was on the phone with Winnebago many times and they made various suggestion. I finally found by accident that if I didn't use the bedroom fan, the issue went away. Eventually the dealer was instructed to run a ground wire directly from the battery to the thermostat ground. That improved the condition, but still happened occasionally. Finally the factory send a new thermostat directly to me that had more "filtration". Once installed, the issue has never returned. I think I got this thermostat in November of 2014. I was told interference can also come from the inverter. I didn't experience that, but I was told that had sometimes been found as the source of interference.
RTrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thermostat