Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-08-2022, 10:43 PM   #1
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Cheap Heat? Anyone tried this solution?

I ran across this add on electric heating https://youtu.be/6GbPGp9eZ1Uelement solution for propane heaters.

Has anyone tried this?
Old 04-09-2022, 05:35 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

What does it cost? A couple of hundred dollars to save less than a buck a day on propane, and only if your electricity isn't metered.

A better solution to minimize propane use is to only turn the hot water heater on in the evening before you take a shower. It will warm up to 120+ F in 15-20 minutes. It takes roughly 2,500 btu or a couple of tenths of a gallon of propane to heat it up. Then turn it off and it will stay warm enough for the next day to do dishes, etc.

So you end up using .2 gallons of propane a day for water heating, probably less the second day because the water tank will already be slightly warm.

David
Old 04-09-2022, 12:41 PM   #3
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
What does it cost? A couple of hundred dollars to save less than a buck a day on propane, and only if your electricity isn't metered.

A better solution to minimize propane use is to only turn the hot water heater on in the evening before you take a shower. It will warm up to 120+ F in 15-20 minutes. It takes roughly 2,500 btu or a couple of tenths of a gallon of propane to heat it up. Then turn it off and it will stay warm enough for the next day to do dishes, etc.

So you end up using .2 gallons of propane a day for water heating, probably less the second day because the water tank will already be slightly warm.

David
This isn’t for the water heater, it’s for the furnace heater. I guess the idea is, if you’re staying somewhere for a really long time, you won’t have to unhook and leave to get more propane, since you used the electric heat option.

Hey, it’s not for me, as we have 4 portable tanks onboard—no fixed propane tank. It’s easy for me to go get more propane.

Just wondering is anyone has heard or it of used one?
Old 04-09-2022, 02:20 PM   #4
Site Team

I'd never heard of it - the video is 11 years old and it was made by Gary Bunzer who unfortunately died from Covid a few years ago. But nonetheless it appears to still be available.

Here the link: https://www.rvcomfortsystems.com/

The cost appears to be about $900 - there are a lot of choices depending on your furnace so I'm not positive I got it right.
Old 04-09-2022, 09:02 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

There are kits to install on RV's that ADD electric heat element to the furnace. My aspect has it built in and electric heater works well. Dont remember the name of it but I think camp world may have access to them. Big writeup a couple of years ago in motorhome magazine. only requirement for operations is that it must be 30 amps.

Take a look here: https://www.google.com/search?client...+for+rv+heater
hank857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 09:52 PM   #6
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I'd never heard of it - the video is 11 years old and it was made by Gary Bunzer who unfortunately died from Covid a few years ago. But nonetheless it appears to still be available.

Here the link: https://www.rvcomfortsystems.com/

The cost appears to be about $900 - there are a lot of choices depending on your furnace so I'm not positive I got it right.
Thanks. He must have been a very smart guy…
Old 04-13-2022, 04:45 PM   #7
Winnebago owner

I looked into this in 2019 for my 2015 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q. I contacted Larry McGaugh ([email protected]) to ask about the system because I thought it would be great for those nights when the temperate approached freezing in the Alabama gulf in January.

And it would be great, except for the price.

The add on heater for my 2 stage suburban would come in around $1,000 (maybe a little more), but Mr. McGaugh said that for the propane heater in my RV that "Knowing what’s involved in doing your type of system is going to be time consuming so don’t be supersized if the labor runs as high as 12 to 16 hours" (quoted from his email).

If not for the 12 to 16 hours of labor I'd have gotten the system, but even back then labor was approaching $100/hr at RV shops and I decided that the convenience of using the metered electricity at my snowbird location was not worth the $2000 plus to get the system installed.

If he's still there you might want to contact Larry, he provided me photographs of the components and everything I needed to make the decision, including the honest warning that for my particular system the labor would be very high. Again, if it weren't for the extra labor on the 38Q I'd have had it installed, but I couldn't justify the cost for a few nights each January that got really cold, installed a "stay a while" instead.
Old 04-14-2022, 05:51 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
I ran across this add on electric heating https://youtu.be/6GbPGp9eZ1Uelement solution for propane heaters.

Has anyone tried this?
This is a good idea to some extent. The problem you must consider is the amount of power the heater is using. #6AWG is heavy wire and what we use for our 50A service. Then there is the installation of the system to consider. How do you gain access to your furnace? In my case we have a front and back furnace? Which furnace do we use for this or must both be modified? And don't forget. Those of us with heat pumps have to use the LP furnace when the temps drop below ~39*F. And these furnaces keep the basement from freezing.
LP is getting expensive, true. In some areas it is hard to find near by and, in a coach with a fixed tank, this can be a real pain.
I think I'll stick with my Extend-a Stay, portable tank and cube heater in the living area. We have done well with this system for many years now.

I have no doubt this system will work well for some of the camping rigs out there. Just don't consider it as "cheep" heat. It is more reasonable, in my mind, to consider it reliable heat IF it provides the same or greater BTU your LP fire does to get you through those very cold nights.
Old 04-14-2022, 07:38 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

We purchased this heater, and it worked great. Local folks didn't know how to install, so they called Larry and he walked them through it. However, after about 3 years the system became inoperative, and was too costly to repair. Great when it works!
R L HAMILTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 05:25 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by R L HAMILTON View Post
We purchased this heater, and it worked great. Local folks didn't know how to install, so they called Larry and he walked them through it. However, after about 3 years the system became inoperative, and was too costly to repair. Great when it works!
How much of a drain or strain did it put on your electrical system? How much current did it draw when running at max?
Seeing that all the components are available from open sources, what failed and what was the cost to replace it?
How well did it heat when the temps dropped into the teens or single digits?
What was the initial cost of the unit and install?
So many questions. Oh! To be enlightened is a good thing.
Rick Y
Old 04-15-2022, 06:49 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

The electrical drain was unnoticeable. I would run it when we parked in Georgia during the winter when temperature would get near freezing. And of course, on the road when it got chilly. We could keep temperature in 70s (depending on outside temperature). But it sure saved on propane.
We believe the failure was the heating element. Local service couldn't determine, so I called Larry. He opined it could be a couple things. However, we would have to find someone to work on, and they would have to remove entire unit and test.
Original cost and installation was just over $800.
I would have installed again, if local service available.
R L HAMILTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 10:05 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

This is an interesting discussion on a topic I've thought about for some time. What I've thought about is: How difficult would it be to install a switch that would allow you to only run the propane furnace's blower system. Just flip this switch on and place a portable electric such that it would blow right into the propane furnace's intake wherever it is in the coach interior.

You then have electrically heated air being distributed by the RV's built-in furnace blower system.
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 10:14 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Our solution is sweats and gloves when we are out of bed and sleeping bags when we are in them. Very inexpensive and doesn't require any propane or power.

Some friends suggested attaching sheets inside the sleeping bags with several Velcro strips. Makes it easy to keep the sleeping bags relatively clean and fresh, and easy to remove the sheets to wash them.
Old 04-16-2022, 09:13 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G. View Post
This is an interesting discussion on a topic I've thought about for some time. What I've thought about is: How difficult would it be to install a switch that would allow you to only run the propane furnace's blower system. Just flip this switch on and place a portable electric such that it would blow right into the propane furnace's intake wherever it is in the coach interior.

You then have electrically heated air being distributed by the RV's built-in furnace blower system.
Unless you have a small system, not much duct works and a small rig, I don't see where this would work all that well. It might though. Look up the wiring diagram for your LP furnace. You may find a way to do what you want. Consider a relay to operate from the remote switch. This will reduce the need for big wire to the switch if the relay is close to the motor. You might have to put a diode in the lead going back into the controls for the motor to avoid feedback to the electronics. But then there is probably a relay operating the fan now.
Old 04-16-2022, 09:15 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV-Travelers View Post
Our solution is sweats and gloves when we are out of bed and sleeping bags when we are in them. Very inexpensive and doesn't require any propane or power.

Some friends suggested attaching sheets inside the sleeping bags with several Velcro strips. Makes it easy to keep the sleeping bags relatively clean and fresh, and easy to remove the sheets to wash them.
Your idea is great for you folks who enjoy adventure camping. For us ol' folks living full time in our home on wheels? Not a great idea.
Old 04-16-2022, 09:22 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by R L HAMILTON View Post
The electrical drain was unnoticeable. I would run it when we parked in Georgia during the winter when temperature would get near freezing. And of course, on the road when it got chilly. We could keep temperature in 70s (depending on outside temperature). But it sure saved on propane.
We believe the failure was the heating element. Local service couldn't determine, so I called Larry. He opined it could be a couple things. However, we would have to find someone to work on, and they would have to remove entire unit and test.
Original cost and installation was just over $800.
I would have installed again, if local service available.
In our big rig I don't see that this would be the most economical solution. We now have a fireplace and use the cube space heater when temps are above freezing. Then we go to the propane furnace for heating the basement and living area. Because the days needed for this service are so few this is not practical. But if LP became scares, as the global warming alarmists wish to happen, this would be a good way to go.

Tags
heat