Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2018, 05:46 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Catalytic heater

Has anybody installed Catalytic heater in their towable?
Jandjstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:51 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I had an Olympian Wave 3 in my Nash 25S TT. It worked great but it's primarily a radiant heater so it's most effective when there's a direct path from it to you. Mine had to be mounted in a corner so we used a large ceramic tile to keep the wall next to it from getting too hot. A friend mounted his on a hinged panel so it could swing between stowed and use positions. It gets hot so it should be in a location safe from small children and pets.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 05:30 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I have installed one in the last 5 RV's we have owned in the last 14 years. In all of them I installed a quick disconnect to plug in a 6' hose so I could move the heater around to point in any direction I wished. This fall I will be installing the quick disconnect in our 6th RV.

You must have experience with cutting and flaring copper tubing, as well as routing the copper tubing. Do it wrong and have it leak can be deadly.

What do you need to know?
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 05:46 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thx Al

My RV repair guy (who I totally trust)refuses to put a quick connect inside camper. He says it just too dangerous for leaking and will only do a hard connect to catalytic heater. Also says it must be near a door where Airstream has put them for decades so it can draw some air from door. In my camper that is near rear and wonder if it is worth the effort. Had a small one that ran off 20 lb. propane cylinder in old camper that was outside. Aim told never put gas container in cabin. I am pondering if it worth the investment or just solar up so furnace can run when winter dry camping that we do a lot of here in the Carolinas.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:00 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandjstar View Post
My RV repair guy (who I totally trust)refuses to put a quick connect inside camper. He says it just too dangerous for leaking and will only do a hard connect to catalytic heater. Also says it must be near a door where Airstream has put them for decades so it can draw some air from door. In my camper that is near rear and wonder if it is worth the effort. Had a small one that ran off 20 lb. propane cylinder in old camper that was outside. Aim told never put gas container in cabin. I am pondering if it worth the investment or just solar up so furnace can run when winter dry camping that we do a lot of here in the Carolinas.
If I was a RV repair guy, because of liability concerns, I also would refuse to install a quick connect.

Having said that, I have had zero problems with gas leaks from the quick connects I have installed. Here is a link to a quick connect kit I use, from a seller in AZ: Portable heater hook up kit

This is the first time I have heard of needing to install the heater near the door for ventilation. I guess someone is assuming the door seals are of such poor quality that it supplies all the ventilation needed so you don't need to open a window and ceiling vent an inch or two for proper ventilation. BTW, that is the requirement for using a catalytic heater. Open a window and ceiling vent so you have at least 12 square inches or more of ventilation.

I agree totally to not use propane cylinders inside the RV.

One reason is propane cylinders are high pressure devices. Whereas the propane plumbing inside the RV is low pressure, about 0.5PSI. That is one half of one pound pressure. The low pressure is much less likely to force a leak. That is not to say, if there was a leak, it wouldn't be very dangerous.

There are reasons why we love our catalytic heater:
-- Very efficient. Spend a week or more dry camping in chilly to cold night time temps and you will be needing to go buy propane. Many times dump stations and fresh water are easier to find than propane.
-- Quiet! No need to listen to the constant on and off of the furnace blower.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:24 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Good info

Tags
cat, heat, heater