Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-26-2019, 03:02 PM   #1
Living The Dream

Can a condensate pump be installed on my A/C?

I see that the particular type of A/C unit on our View, a Coleman Mach 8 15,000, is available with or without a condensate pump. WGO apparently installs the one without a condensate pump, so I’m wondering if I could add one. Would be nice to set it up to have the condensate go to other than a randomly inconvenient place!

Looks like the Coleman condensate pump #47233A3091 might be the critter ... has anyone added one? Any advice is appreciated.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 09:56 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

AirXCel would be where you would want to call. They can tell you where it plugs into the existing wiring harness in the A/C unit and whether or not it will fit your model.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 07:13 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

G'day (or evening)

Not to throw wet Crow feathers but......

Mach 8s have two very adequate condensate drains located bilaterally in the forward 1/3 of the unit. They drain onto the roof by gravity. If memory serves.... the drain system is "pressurized" by bleed air off the evaporator fan to push water out to the drain. Simple. Reliable. Unbreakable.

"Most" systems fitted with a condensate pump use an internal drain from the roof to under the RV. They are mostly on big class As. Putting in an internal drain line in an as built RV, will be a major challenge. Functionally, they are prone to clogging. Usually at the most inconvenient time and place. When it clogs or the pump packs up the usual result is that it "drains" ..... inside the coach. And, because the condensate can't quickly drain away, it may frost and freeze the expansion coil.

The down side is that gravity drains dump on the roof. Water travels down hill as Mother intends. This is where the Fairies, Pucas, Leprechauns, Selkies, Gremlins and the Wee People become involved... They are all drawn to the smell of Whiskey and dripping water. They ALWAYS guide the drainage to trickle off the roof on to the coach's entry steps. Always! No matter how you park or angle it. Best not to mess with them and let them have their fun. Keeps them out of the electrics, generator, fridge, battery bank and other places.

Just, keep it simple and let it drain off the roof.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 09:03 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Warren,

Tiffin had channels in the roof to handle the pex drain tubes for the condensate and duckbills in the ends to keep the critters out. Where are you going to run the drain tubing? And more importantly, why do you want to do this?

I'm with Old Crows on keeping it simple.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 04:04 PM   #5
Living The Dream

The random dripping from the A/C isn’t a big deal, just thought perhaps I discovered an easy fix. Thanks for the responses to my question.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, led