Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2022, 06:49 AM   #1
Almost Retired

Best practice for driving with food in fridge?

So here's my quandary. We like to stock the fridge before trips. Our fridge is either AC or Propane. We don't want to run propane while driving and the fridge isn't connected to Inverter circuit. I don't like to run the Onan generator on the road, but this seems to be the only choice. Are there any mods - short of replacing the fridge with one having 12V capability and running wires? Thoughts?
Sturgis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 08:10 AM   #2
Site Team

Most with RV fridges on a Class A motorhome run either on propane while driving OR simply turn the fridge off. They get everything cold in the fridge before leaving and keep the fridge door tightly closed. Some folks also put frozen water jugs (empty gallon milk jugs) and the like in the fridge to help hold the temp.

I know there are those that don't feel it's safe driving with the propane on in case of an accident. And, if you feel that way that's fine. Just be aware that this is not a universal concern and that's likely why there are not ready made options to keep the fridge cold while driving. Obviously, the choice is yours.
Old 03-10-2022, 08:56 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Creativepart is right. In terms of LPG usage, it's minimal, essentially you're fueling a flame not much larger than a typical pilot light. The only safety issue of concern is to shut it off when refueling at a gas station.

In any case, if you're still concerned about LPG usage and about things not staying cold on a long drive, you can run the fridge on LPG periodically for an hour or so.

Personally, I've had LPG/120V refrigerators in two TTs and now a MH since the early 2000s and have never had any issues with propane usage despite running the fridge on LPG while traveling.

I think you're overthinking this.
BobC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 10:23 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

What are your concerns about running the gas while traveling ? . That's the way they made it ,to operate the on gas while RVing ,weather sitting or traveling .
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 10:44 AM   #5
Almost Retired

I could have sworn i read in owner documentation to not drive with propane tank "on". Not "best practice". So you're saying its a CYA statement? I'm ok with that, was just wondering what other owners do.
Old 03-10-2022, 11:55 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturgis View Post
I could have sworn i read in owner documentation to not drive with propane tank "on". Not "best practice". So you're saying its a CYA statement? I'm ok with that, was just wondering what other owners do.
This is one of those owner's choice type issues.

There are a number of them you'll run into.

I'd say there is no right or wrong answer with them. But, some folks might not agree even with that statement.

Personally, in my 20+ years of RVing with 3 travel trailers, a Class C and a Class A. I always run with my propane valve open. And, I don't know anyone personally that doesn't do that. BUT I've seen folks on the internet that claim it's a dangerous hazard and all of the folks that don't turn off their propane are definitely in the wrong.

So, it's "owner's choice." You be you and do what you think is best.

Seems to me, if Winnebago really expected you to turn off the propane when driving they would have made some kind of provision for running your fridge on electricity. But what do I know?
Old 03-10-2022, 12:06 PM   #7
Almost Retired

Tks everyone for your replies. I feel better about running with propane now.
Old 03-13-2022, 12:41 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I use my propane fridge when driving and sometimes the propane furnace. I figure I am pretty close to the door if I had to make a hasty exit. That being said I will get my Norcold upgraded to a 12 VDC compressor fridge the 12th of April.
Old 03-16-2022, 04:16 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Why do you have a problem with running a propane fridge while driving? It's no more or less dangerous than at any other time, really.
golden13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 04:17 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

We use the propane while driving. The generator is used in order to run the air conditioning while travelling. You will keep the motorhome cooler with the air conditioning on which will keep the refrigerator cooler.
Relax and enjoy the drive. Keep a safe distance from the vehicles ahead of you. You are too worried about being in an accident.
rottenkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 04:29 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

I installed a full size residential fridge in my Journey in 2013. I added 4-100 watt solar panels to the roof to charge my 4 group 31 AGM house batteries. I run the fridge continually through the inverter while travelling. Once it is fully cooled, the power draw is significantly less than 5 amps - think it is about 3 amps at 120v - and the fridge doesn't run continually so the power requirement is relatively low. Once you have your system sorted out, you will find it is very easy to run the fridge and with the solar panel, there is nothing really to worry about.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 04:45 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
So here's my quandary. We like to stock the fridge before trips. Our fridge is either AC or Propane. We don't want to run propane while driving and the fridge isn't connected to Inverter circuit. I don't like to run the Onan generator on the road, but this seems to be the only choice. Are there any mods - short of replacing the fridge with one having 12V capability and running wires? Thoughts?
Add a new outlet or re-wire the existing outlet so it is fed by the inverter and problem solved. You are unlikely to be using the capacity of the inverter while travelling.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 05:18 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

We have driven many thousands of miles with fridge operating on lp AND running the lp furnace in very cold weather. I have also driven lp powered farm equipment & highway vehicles w/no worries. It's just another fuel source. And we routinely run the generator while driving to power the house air/ heat pump. Your rv has many capabilites ... enjoy the adventure!
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 05:27 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I don't worry about running my propane fridge, the same as I don't worry about that 80 gallon fuel tank that the engine is drawing from. As said above, it's just another fuel source.
Old 03-16-2022, 05:57 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

No disrespect intended, but you really should put you fears to rest about using propane or running the generator while driving.
BVThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 07:49 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I have owned RV's since 1962 (60 years) and always run the refrigerator on LP when driving. I do turn it off when in a fueling area. Never had a problem.
thataway4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 08:39 PM   #17
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Lp while driving

3 motor homes in 20 years , I always drove with the fridge on propane. Never a problem
GG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 07:20 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

We turn off LP before going into tunnels

Quote:
We turn off LP before driving through Tunnels, like the one in Mobile, AL on I-10. When driving our fridge like our Main AC is powered by the generator. We do service and test the LP function of the fridge every year. The suggestion to add the Frig to the inverter is a good idea and we will look at that.
Enjoy the ride!
Rickb33952 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 07:23 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

If your really concerned then get an moderately sized inverter to plug the refrigerator into while driving and run it on 120 volts AC. Note that unless your driving for days non-stop across country your refrigerator will not defrost during a few hours driving if you start off with it already cooled down to its set operating temperature.

Even after my first Class A burned due to a wheel fire from an improperly serviced wheel bearing the contents of the refrigerator were still cold and the items in the freezer were still frozen when we went back to the wrecking yard to retrieve whatever items that were salvageable. None of the food in the refrigerator was lost.
Old 03-17-2022, 07:26 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

I never had any issues running the refrigerator on LP while driving, I did turn it off when getting gas though.

We recently changed gears and switched to a travel trailer which has a 12-volt compressor fridge.

Retired "Quiet Professional". Lifetime HSUS and ASPCA member and supporter.
71_340 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge