Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-06-2022, 01:06 PM   #41
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4van View Post
I, too, was not judging you, but simply pointing out a general observation. Your mod is indeed well done, and the outlet in the fridge compartment should be set up like that on all RVs with an inverter to give the owner the choice.

Thanks. We good as my comment was only directed to this point it is by far my favorite thing as I use all the time.

But as for your claim that 100-1 people modding their rigs to carry more propane? Sorry, but in 35 years of RVing, I seen very few, other than carrying an extra (or larger) cylinder or adding a fitting to allow an external tank for a Motorhome for longer boondocking.

What I refer is modifications to carry / connect extra propane tanks, taps into propane to feed some external propane sources etc. etc. I see all the time and some RV owners quite frequently about not having enough propane. Plenty of parts available to buy and number of threads on the same. If I don't need heat, I can go full year if not longer on my OEM Tank. 100-1 is not an exact science, but other than me, this OP was the 1st I could recall where someone else was wanting to NOT run propane while driving if alternative was possible.

I would also disagree with your claim that "no one should want to run the fridge while driving". If you mean "no one should want to run the fridge on propane while driving", my original post applies, as it is designed to be used that way (although your mod is a good alternative) and most of us do. If you are instead referring to running it at all while driving, I disagree.
My bad for drifting my point but see above to clarify what I was saying about modifications to propane tanks.

And as far as the 2nd comment, yes that was a typo.

It should have read

I think the OP asked a very good question and no one should want to run the PROPANE while driving. I don't want to drive in snow or rain, but I know it can be perfectly safe.

I offered an analogy to my point; so I should prolly just leave it at that. I have the option to use Propane or Electric. I used Propane while driving for two years and never had an issue, but was always mindful for gas stations and tunnels. Since the mod; I don't want / need to run the propane while driving and due to design change; I don't have to. Remember the larger context of this thread because OP has not been back; He was just seeking alternatives to having propane on. Something about starting a fire to make ice and keep beer cold defies traditional logic.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 05:38 PM   #42
Winnebago Watcher

All,
I just got back from my trip. I wanted to report back how it went. I ran an extension cord from my inverter, out the window to the fridge. It was only exposed about 18 inches from the window to the fridge cover. At the start of the trip, the fridge/freezer temps were 30/6; after 4 hours of driving -- mainly through the Salinas Valley in Calif where the outside temp was over 100 last week -- the fridge/freezer temps were 38/6.
House batteries did drain slightly but it didn't affect lights nor other on-board systems. House batteries charged back up full once I plugged into shorepower.
I'll continue to monitor this method and will report back if I run into issues.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ExtCord.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	184121   Click image for larger version

Name:	inverter.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	184122  

mobileminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 06:05 PM   #43
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobileminnie View Post
All,
I just got back from my trip. I wanted to report back how it went. I ran an extension cord from my inverter, out the window to the fridge. It was only exposed about 18 inches from the window to the fridge cover. At the start of the trip, the fridge/freezer temps were 30/6; after 4 hours of driving -- mainly through the Salinas Valley in Calif where the outside temp was over 100 last week -- the fridge/freezer temps were 38/6.
House batteries did drain slightly but it didn't affect lights nor other on-board systems. House batteries charged back up full once I plugged into shorepower.
I'll continue to monitor this method and will report back if I run into issues.

Steve

How old are your batteries? You might wish to have a load test run on them.
After running that long on your alternator, the batteries should be fully charged. Now if you waited a little bit when you came to a stop and inverter is still on but engine is off, it will drain rapidly ( a wild guess is maybe 2 hours before you are at 60% capacity of so?).

I actually did what you did at first BEFORE my permanent fix to tap existing inverter supplied circuit.

FWIW those temperatures are all normal, and I don't believe the fridge has any idea that the power is Inverter supplied. You just have to remember it is not a true residential fridge and will draw more amps to convert the DC to AC, so don't expect to use it more than 1 or 2 hours without the alternator running.

If for some bizarre reason, I forget, my AGS will kick on at House batteries at 12.5vdc to protect me from myself
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 05:30 AM   #44
Winnie-Wise

I realize that I'm in the minority but put me in the camp (pun intended) of one that does NOT drive with LPG on while traveling. Propane lines are made of rubber and there is no way I can guarantee that they will not eventually crack and leak from age.

I've commented on this on a prior thread.
https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ml#post3887861

Here's a couple of additional links that may be of interest:
https://camperreport.com/can-i-tow-a...ridge-running/

Amerigas recommends turning it off
https://www.amerigas.com/amerigas-bl...propane-safety

As noted, in most states, it is against the law to leave the LPG on when driving thru tunnels and/or in gas stations. Personally, I don't want to remember or to have the hassle of turning off/on the LPG every time I stop for gas or go thru a tunnel. I recently went on a long, non-stop trip from Virginia Beach to NYC and would have had to get out and turn the LPG off and back on probably a dozen times.

Food items should stay cold enough for trips 3-4 hours. For trips longer than that, I utilize a 12V portable fridge/freezer to keep perishable items (especially chicken/pork) in.
Old 09-20-2022, 04:49 PM   #45
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocknRoll View Post
I realize that I'm in the minority but put me in the camp (pun intended) of one that does NOT drive with LPG on while traveling. Propane lines are made of rubber and there is no way I can guarantee that they will not eventually crack and leak from age.

I've commented on this on a prior thread.
https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ml#post3887861

Here's a couple of additional links that may be of interest:
https://camperreport.com/can-i-tow-a...ridge-running/

Amerigas recommends turning it off
https://www.amerigas.com/amerigas-bl...propane-safety

As noted, in most states, it is against the law to leave the LPG on when driving thru tunnels and/or in gas stations. Personally, I don't want to remember or to have the hassle of turning off/on the LPG every time I stop for gas or go thru a tunnel. I recently went on a long, non-stop trip from Virginia Beach to NYC and would have had to get out and turn the LPG off and back on probably a dozen times.

Food items should stay cold enough for trips 3-4 hours. For trips longer than that, I utilize a 12V portable fridge/freezer to keep perishable items (especially chicken/pork) in.
Keep in mind, brake lines to each wheel are made of rubber too. Same with air brakes, air lines are not metal either.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge