Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2020, 06:56 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Basement Electric Heat

Purchased a 2005 Vectra not long ago. The gas heat works great but the electric heat just stopped working. When I switch to electric heat the fan runs and air come out of the floor and ceiling vents for several minutes and then the floor air shuts off and only cool air come out the ceiling. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Dan
Dwmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 08:51 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Dan, what type of heating system do you have?
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 09:16 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Is the "electric" heat from the AC heat pump(s)? Does the gas heat work if used by itself?
Phil-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 12:59 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Electric Heat Out

It is a RVP 6537 Heat Pump. The gas heat works great. I’m sure the electric heat comes from the heat pump.

Thanks
Dwmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 03:23 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

If you are at temp, by the gas heat; and you switch to electric, does it work? May be in the thermostat or control board in the heat pump. I think most of those systems - the electric will only work if you are within a few 5- 10 deg. of the set point. The gas heat will come on and then the heatpump will take over if it can keep up. Try a power reset, maybe?
Phil-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 03:41 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

This is the manual for that heat pump and I see what looks like a very good flowchart starting on page 13 for some cautions to watch out for but the heating sections seems to start about page 20 or section 12B:
http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/rvp/6...38heatpump.pdf

I'm thinking you are in far better hands with their advise than my limited experience! Best of luck?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 04:37 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

What is the outside temperature?
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 06:38 PM   #8

I think rgvtexan is suggesting: You can't expect your heat pump to work below 40F.

So if you are trying to get electric heat in sub 38F-40F temperatures you should not bother turning on you Basement Heat Pump.

Other things to check:

* Thermostat slider switch can get old and does not make contact. I cleaned mine last summer when it was acting up and it has been working well ever since.

* You can verify your 12V thermostat calls by testing at the circuit board with a schematic.

* The Colman-Mach 2-Ton Basement Operations manual will help you diagnose your system, but I think I read somewhere that the reversing valve can stick. Unfortunately, you have remove your AC from the frame to get to it.

Here's a link to a lot of Basement AC information you might want to keep for future reference:

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...-359467-3.html

Now that your basement AC has your attention; when it comes to performing AC maintenance... When was the last time you checked your run and start capacitor values? It's easy and everyone should learn how to do this in my opinion.
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 12:37 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

That is what I was getting at.

I am a slow typist. One question at a time.

Thanks!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 06:33 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Read your manual carefully, there's a sequence of events that it follows depending on the differential between your room temperature and the set temperature. If there's more than a five degree differential, the propane furnace should kick in to reduce the differential, at which point the heat pump will take over.

I've found that if you fiddle with it, changing the thermostat, etc., you can get into a frustrating cycle of delays. It's best to set it, leave it alone and let it do it's thing. It's also pretty subtle compared to the propane furnace. so don't expect a blast of hot air.

If the outside air temperature is below 45 degrees F, it's not going to work well, if at all.

Here's a link that may help (different name, same unit):

https://www.airxcel.com/rv/coleman-m...-support/faqs#
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 06:50 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Another suggestion: Since you're running the heat pump, I assume you have shore power. In that case, you're going to be better off using an electric, oil-filled radiator-type heater to keep things warm. We warm things up with the LPG furnace and then let the oil-filled radiator take over. Another plus is that it's totally silent.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=oil+fille..._ts-doa-p_1_11

Note: I've picked up a couple of these at Goodwill for under $20 that looked almost new and work great.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 07:53 PM   #12
WinnieAdven38

I have a 2005 Adventurer with basement HVAC heat pump. As long as the outside temp is >38F then heat pump works great (if on shore power or gen) to put out very warm air from the ceiling vents only. However - if outside temp is <38F then nothing but cold air will blow - the heat pump senses the outside temp and will not even turn on.

The propane furnace also works great - but it has its own ductwork in the floor.

Finally - the HVAC heat pump has its own air filter, located under the bed storage area in my rig. Be sure to check that it is clean and not clogged up (though if it were you would not feel much airflow from ceiling vents.

If nothing helps you get your heat pump working then your only choice is to have the unit removed and serviced. BUT! - do not use an RV dealer to do that as it will cost you big $$. Instead- find a reputable AC shop which works on residential HVAC. Once your unit is removed from your RV (thats the hard part) any good shop can work on this unit as its components are readily available to them.
HappiHenri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 06:30 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Rear heater

I to have a 2005 vectra and I had the same problem with the heat. I contacted the company that made the a/c, heater and they sent me a different thermostat, did not work, then they sent me another, did not work. But I found out that if I heated up the coach with the gas then switched to elect it would work from then on. This morning it 46 this morning and I had a electric stand alone heater that has a clock that came on at 4:00 am and I turned on the coach electric heater at 8:00 and it worked.
madred is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat