Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-07-2011, 01:48 AM   #101
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike & Fran View Post
Agree with Doug, I don't get enough volume out of frt floor vents. It's been that way for the six years I've had this M/H but we try not to go in cold weather anyway-haha. We love the elec heat to knock the chill off though. Hope you have found your trouble---Good Luck!!!
i bought adjustable damper register covers from home depot for my bedroom, bathroom, hallway and kitchen floor vents so i can adjust the airflow to get heat where i want it.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:19 AM   #102
Winnebago Camper

This to me has been an interesting thread as I have an '07 Dolphin with basement air and have not yet completely figured out the system works. Have several questions some of you may answers to. 1) How does the system operate when hooked to 30 amp power? Does it run only on one compressor, if so which one? 2) How low does the outside temp have to be to keep the heat pump from operating? 3) If you run completely out of propane and the outside temp is to low, is there a way to get the heat/pump to operate? Does the heat pump have emergency heat strips as a home system does? 4) Where and who is the best service facility/technician to have this unit repaired in the middle Georgia to No Florida area?
SAS30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:46 AM   #103
Winnebago Master

If you have an Energy Management System (EMS), then yours may operate like mine, but yours may be wired to operate differently.

1) Basement air will always run both compressors in heat mode, will cycle between 1 and 2 compressors in cool mode (#1 is primary), depending on load. If I am on marginal voltage, which is usually when I am on 30amp service, I will turn off the panel breaker to compressor number 2.

2) This will vary based on thermister installed, and outside ambient air conditions. Hi humidity will raise the temp range that the unit will turn off. The thermistor, normally closed, measures the outside coil temperature. It is not measuring the air temp, but rather the coil temp, which is an indication of frost accumulation. Mine has run down to 30 deg F in low humidity, and shut off as hi as 40 deg in high humdity conditions.

3) If you jumper out the outdoor coil thermister on the PC board located in the basement unit, it will run untill the compressor locks up due to liquid freon reaching it. (But NOT advisable). There are no heat strips installed that I am aware of, we carry 2 small ceramic heaters.

4) No advise on this one.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:33 PM   #104
Winnebago Camper

SAS30,

I live in the Middle/South Georgia area, and have had my unit serviced by Christmas Heating and Air in Cordele, Ga. The unit is practically the same as a residential heat pump, with the exception it usually must be removed from the motor home to allow access to the insides. From the factory there are no refrigerant service ports, so the service technician will have to install them to add freon. I had my service ports piped to the side of the unit so they are accessible from the area between the frame and the heat pump.

The unit can be removed and remain connected electrically for operation while removed.There several forum threads on this and other Winnebago forums explaining how to remove and reinstall the heat pump, as well as replacement of bearings and fans.

2002 Itasca Horizon 32TD
Roadking52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:13 AM   #105
Winnebago Owner

Actually, FossilHog, when we're on 50amp, we have the same thing--a blank display. When we bought this new, the tech doing the walk-through told us that this was by design. I guess the theory is that at 50 amps you don't need to know.

Janjanjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:13 AM   #106
Winnebago Owner

After reading through this thread I am still not sure what problem we are having with our Coleman 6535-671 basement air. Yesterday the outside temp was around 80 with bright sunshine. With the thermostat set to 73 fan set to high and auto it was struggling to keep the MH under 77/78. Ran almost constantly. The sun was beating directly on the front window so we closed the inside curtain and blocked as much of it with a foil sunshade (really made for a truck and not big enough) as possible.

So does this sound like a problem with the unit or just too much heat in the MH and how does one who is pretty good with tools but not HVAC knowledgeable figure it out? I have no problem calling someone if needed but it is always better if you can fix a simple problem without.

One question I have is that from what I have read there are 2 compressors and on high demand the second one kicks in. How can I tell if it is?

Cooler for a few days so we have a temporary reprieve.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:31 AM   #107
Winnebago Master

One thing to check is the vertical ductwork located between the back cap and bedroom wall, make sure the edge tape has not come loose.

It is easy to tell if the # 2 compressor comes online if you are on 30amp service or generator by watching the amp meter on the one place panel.

Harder to tell if on 50amp service, but you should be able to hear it come on line about 20 seconds after the # 1 if the tstat calls for it.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:33 AM   #108
Jim
Winnebago Owner

mark..as to the second compressor, if you have the monitor panel showing amps being used you can observe the amps jump when the second compressor kicks in about 20 seconds after the first one...it will go real high then settle back..mine uses about 13 amps on one and 23+ on 2..if it only goes up about 13+ amps and stays there ,then probably the second one is not operating..jim..
Old 01-22-2011, 09:12 AM   #109
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the replies DancinCampers and Jim,

The duct work was a good suggestion as I looked and sure enough that had been repaired by a previous owner.

We are plugged into 50amps so for the first test DW offered to sit in the bedroom right over the heat pump and listen while I set the thermostat low and turned on the air. Sure enough after a little bit we both heard the second one kick in.

So now I am still not sure if there was a problem or it just couldn't keep up with the sun. Maybe since it is a little overcast today we can set it to 66 or something low to see if it can get it down to that. Looks like the next week or so will be comfortable so the real test will have to wait.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:18 AM   #110
Winnebago Owner

HD4Mark,

Here is a link talking about the cooling problem.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/base...for-73797.html
Old 01-23-2011, 06:43 AM   #111
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc8cappie View Post
HD4Mark,

Here is a link talking about the cooling problem.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/base...for-73797.html
Thanks for that link Earl,
I am starting to think that the bulk of the problem may be that fact that we are facing right into the sun without much to block it. The white pleated wrap around blinds don't help much and we really had nothing better only because we must have never needed it. This is our second year here in the same campground with this MH (7th all together) but the first year of retirement so we have never been here until much later in the season and the sun is in a different location in the sky. Last winter was a cold one in Fl also. We are actually nose in since the ocean is right outside so facing a different way would defeat the purpose of an ocean site. We don't mind blocking off the windows in the afternoon if needed because we are usually outdoors then and running the air for the dogs.

One would think that with the price of these toys they would be tested better before sale and the best quality to the point of overkill. For my hard earned money I expect icicles in 100° with the windows open

The fridge seems to have problem for my $$ too but that is a different story.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:52 AM   #112
Winnebago Master

For the temps you are experiencing, you should see much better cooling than what you are getting. In 90+ weather, high humidity, my basement a/c would cycle and the inside usually stayed in the low 70's.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:22 PM   #113
Winnie-Wise

HD4MARK: I suspect your A/C unit is low on Freon. If both compressors are able to run, but you are not getting sufficient cooling, low freon is the probable root cause.

I suggest you start by measuring the temp of the air returning to the A/C (at the filter) and then measure the output temp at the ceiling vents (after letting the unit run for at least 30 minutes). If you are not reading at least 15-20 degrees difference in output vs. input, then you'll need a competent A/C tech who will be able to add the fittings necessary for them to recharge your unit after they find and fix the leak(s).
Old 01-23-2011, 07:55 PM   #114
Winnebago Master

I would also check the indoor coil for obstructions, and ensure the return air grill is not obstructed, and filter is in good shape, if not already done.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:29 AM   #115
Winnebago Owner

Thanks again for any help. I regularly change filters and carry a spare or two. You know if you travel with dogs how quickly they clog like the vacuum bags fill up.

Today may be the day to try the temp readings Ed. Looks like 76° this afternoon. I kind of suspected low freon but guess was hoping for a more simple solution. Will post results when I have them.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:09 PM   #116
Winnebago Owner

HD4Mark, I noticed from the brochure on the Vectra that your filter is located under the washer/dryer cabinet. I have found out you (I) can use these 4" thick filter (I use the MERV 8's) and not reduce the air flow from the air conditioning system. I went to these because I have a congo gray parrot which give off a lot of down and powder and was worried about clogging the system componets. Much better then the thin fiber glass ones. These should catch all the dander and hair from your friend.

Filter Size Lookup
Old 06-09-2011, 03:12 PM   #117
Winnebago Watcher

My 03 Suncruiser 35U with basement air only seems to cool when the second unit comes on at 2 deg over setpoint. The first unit comes on when required but just runs - no chilly breeze. It sounds like I am in deep tapioca here especially if the second unit fails.
COsterhaudt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:40 PM   #118
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by COsterhaudt View Post
My 03 Suncruiser 35U with basement air only seems to cool when the second unit comes on at 2 deg over setpoint. The first unit comes on when required but just runs - no chilly breeze. It sounds like I am in deep tapioca here especially if the second unit fails.
you can open the large ac door panel, remove the cover on the electrical components, and then switch the wire leads from the #1 system components to the #2 system components. turn off the circuit breakers before working on the ac.
then you can leave the #2 system cb off to prevent damaging the compressor if it is low on freon.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:25 AM   #119
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by COsterhaudt View Post
I would first check the outside rear ductwork for leaks, then the indoor coil for obstruction. If running on 50amp, plug into 30amp or run generator to observe the amp readings.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:52 PM   #120
Winnebago Watcher

I contacted my Camping World (Churchville, NY) and they found a new compressor and installed it for me. All is nice and cool now. I guess that the compressors are still available from someone.
COsterhaudt is offline   Reply With Quote