Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-18-2019, 05:02 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

Well, next week we're going to Bodega Bay RV park and will have full 30A power. I'll be able to see what happens then.

As far as I've been able to determine, both compressors should run on generator power as long as the temperature differential warrants it.

At some point in the future, I'm considering upgrading to 50A shore power but, for the most part the places we stay usually either have only 30A power or no power at all.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:31 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

It isn’t difficult to diagnose a failed compressor but you have to have adequate power available to do so. The procedure I mentioned in my previous post will determine if it is failed. But you have to have the power available.
Davusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:56 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davusmc View Post
It isn’t difficult to diagnose a failed compressor but you have to have adequate power available to do so. The procedure I mentioned in my previous post will determine if it is failed. But you have to have the power available.
My clamp on multimeter is definitely going to Bodega Bay with me where I'll have full 30A power. Hopefully the park's power is up to snuff. If it works there, it means I have a generator problem, but I'm leaning towards the compressor being bad.
Old 07-03-2019, 03:10 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

Eureka! I got it to work. As it turns out, a PO had either replaced or re-wired the transfer switch, which, for some reason, was preventing compressor #2 from running. A while ago the transfer switch itself stopped transferring to generator power. I replaced it with a newer unit and translated the PO's wiring connections to the new transfer switch, which perpetuated the A/C problem.

After re-thinking everything, I reviewed the wiring to the new transfer switch with a fresh eye and systematically re-thought the connections. I'm now running on both compressors. I have to say that Winnebago's wiring diagram wasn't too helpful. For example, it only shows one wire from the power cord going to the transfer switch, along with other errors, misrepresentations or lack of clarity.

I didn't keep track of what actually changed and, in any case, it wouldn't be helpful to anyone unless their transfer switch was mis-wired in the exact same way. At least for now, I can put this project to bed and don't have to budget for repairs or a $2,000+ replacement unit.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and comments.

Tags
compressor