Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2020, 01:33 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Basement AC Tripping Circuit Breaker

Can someone help me with my problem? I have a 2002 Adventurer. I love it and would like to keep it if it is cost effective. Lately the Basement AC is tripping the circuit breaker when the unit comes on. It runs fine and is plenty cold while running. BTW I am plugged into 50 amp service. Several RV techs have said it is the Compressor going bad. I have not taken it in for an official diagnosis yet. So my question is is it the compressor or could it be something less expensive and is it worth the investment if it is the compressor? Everything else on the rig works great.
Shaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 01:57 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I don't understand if tripping the Breaker, how does it run fine.

Could be many things. Starting Caps, Fan Motor, or Bushings. I would start with them.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 02:00 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I reset the breaker and it starts up just fine.
Old 05-10-2020, 07:00 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

This is a tough one. Just a suggestion(s): 1. Check the tightness of the wire connections at the breaker. Loose connections can cause localized heat and trip a breaker. ( I have seen this more than once doing residential A/C repair.) 2. Hate to "throw parts at it" but you might try a new breaker. A EE (power major) friend of mine once told me a tripped breaker is just a teensy bit weaker than before the trip ........... lotsa trips = quite a bit weaker. If the new breaker does not cure the problem, you'll have a spare breaker in your spares box ..... not such a bad idea.

The above is admittedly a "stretch" but who knows?

Please let us all know what the final resolution is. We're all learnin'.

Good luck with the fix, and safe travels.
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 06:17 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Consider replacing the capacitors. Might be drawing excessive current at startup because of a weak cap. Get them at electronics stores or an appliance parts store. You can put in a larger rated capacitor providing it has an equal or greater capacity, an voltage rating identical or greater than the recommended, and should be a similar form factor for mounting. Makes it a lot easier to find one with that flexibility. Should get at least a couple of spares if they are relatively inexpensive. Good luck,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 09:25 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I'm leaning toward suggestions by YOURACMAN and BOBMAC. Our AC was having a similar problem. We soon discovered the probable cause - loose connections on the PMS which finally shorted and burned the wires in the PMS. The AC was not getting enough continuous current to actually start the unit. Once we replaced the PMS, the tech suggested replacing the capacitors anyway because they were 20 yrs. old and may have been compromised or stressed by the fluctuating current and possible shorts (I did that myself - cheap and easy to do) He also said it was a good idea to check your PMS connections occasionally to ensure they are tight (at least annually if a lot of highway use). Good luck.
Old 05-15-2020, 09:56 AM   #7
2005 Itasca Horizon

Possible inexpensive fix

Circuit breakers can go bad over time. They are relatively easy to access and are inexpensive. You might try replacing yours and that will at least eliminate a bad breaker as a possible cause.

Several motors are trying to start up during the initial start up of the A/C unit. A previous member suggested a fan motor or capacitor may be the culprit. An experienced person may be able to listen to your unit starting up and determine if the problem is a fan motor or compressor. You stated a couple of techs said it is your compressor. But, it may only be the compressor capacitor and not the compressor motor itself. It is my understanding the original type compressors are no longer available but a suitable replacement compressor is available somewhere out there.

Does the circuit breaker shut off when the second compressor fires up? The second compressor is timed to start within about 1 minute after the first compressor starts. If the breaker does not shut off at this point, replacing the capacitor to the first compressor may solve your problem. Again, capacitors are pretty cheap and most are easily accessible thru the outside access panel of your A/C unit. They are readily available on Ebay, usually for under $20, depending on the size needed.

These would be two relatively inexpensive shots at resolving the problem without having to remove the unit from the coach. If an external or internal fan motor is the problem, the A/C unit must be removed to access these motors. I recently had to replace the external fan motor (condenser fan motor) in my 2005 Itasca Horizon. This was the first A/C problem I had in the 15 years of owning it. I did the work myself for about $350 in parts. Some of the parts are tough to find but thanks to sites like this one and Google searches, I was able to locate everything needed to make the unit like new again. I replaced the condenser fan motor, the "squirrel cage", the shaft bearings, and all of the capacitors in the a/c unit, for piece of mind. Fortunately, the compressors checked out fine. It was a big job and who knows how much I saved in labor cost?
AcomaRio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 07:02 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for all your responses. We have, since I wrote last, started hearing the squirrel cage or motor making odd noises that we could only hear outside the coach near the ac unit. So rather than put parts in we are biting the bullet and having a new unit installed.
Old 05-16-2020, 09:31 AM   #9
2005 Itasca Horizon

Follow up to breaker shutting off

Sounds like the same problem I had. The strange noises are most likely coming from what I called the "shaft bearings" on the external fan motor. They look like regular evaporative cooler bearings with an oil port and they require regular oiling but, the entire a/c unit must be removed to access them for oiling so most never get lubricated after the RV leaves the factory (very poor design). I replaced mine with sealed bearings obtained from Grainger for about $12 each. Never need oiling. I'll also bet the capacitor on that motor or perhaps the motor itself is bad and that is what is causing your breaker to shut off.

When you say you are replacing the entire unit, do you mean the entire a/c assembly? That must be pricey. If that is the case, please let us know where you are getting it from. I thought Coleman stopped producing the units years ago. Sure would like to know where your source is for the future. Thanks.
Old 05-16-2020, 10:22 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Here's one source of several for a replacement unit. Given what I've read about people pouring hundreds and more dollars into unsuccessful servicing I don't think the price is outrageous for the DIYer. I checked with the manufacturer a while ago and, even though the specs state 50A service, 30A is OK, at least as OK as it ever was. My 2002 35U is 30A. If and when I ever replace the unit, I'll probably convert to 50A.

https://www.my12voltstore.com/Colema.../46515-811.htm
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 06:48 PM   #11
2005 Itasca Horizon

Thank you for the lead, BobC. I agree, the price is not bad at all considering it is a complete unit ready to go. Nice customer reviews posted for the company too.

I hope I never need them but if I do, I now know where to go. Thank you.
Old 05-16-2020, 07:51 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Thanks BobC for the link. This is a great find. I found a shop that will install it for $360. Will let you know how it goes.
Old 05-16-2020, 08:48 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

This maybe a repete, but if not it is the best info on servicing basement air.

Duner has done a GREAT job of helping us.
Give it a look before buying new.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...zBiZTYxYzU5ZWQ
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 04:29 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Same issue

I have a 2009 Winnebago Vectra — having the same issue of AC tripping the MH breaker. One tech said it was a bad surge protector — replaced.
Problem is who do you get to service the basement AC ?
2000 Winnebago Adventurer had no cooling problem that was repaired.
Unfortunately not in a position to fix this problem myself.
jrtgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 04:46 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtgirls View Post
I have a 2009 Winnebago Vectra — having the same issue of AC tripping the MH breaker. One tech said it was a bad surge protector — replaced.
Problem is who do you get to service the basement AC ?
2000 Winnebago Adventurer had no cooling problem that was repaired.
Unfortunately not in a position to fix this problem myself.
I don't know this first hand, but I've read that the basement air units have a lot in common with residential units, especially made for mobile homes so you may find someone by calling around. An independent A/C repair person may be your best bet as opposed to a large company.

You might try calling Airxcel, the manufacturer. I'd think they'd have a network of service providers. You'll need to be specific to the basement air unit since they also make roof A/Cs:

https://www.airxcel.com/rv/coleman-m...mps/two-ton-he

If you're successful, let us know what you find out.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 07:24 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

AC

Thanks
jrtgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 07:51 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

jrtgirls - AC folks are very adamant that they can't fix basement air units in RVs. I tried to explain to them that it is just like the units put in closets in S&B houses. They shy away like I have leprocy. Good luck on that search.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:18 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
I don't know this first hand, but I've read that the basement air units have a lot in common with residential units, especially made for mobile homes so you may find someone by calling around. An independent A/C repair person may be your best bet as opposed to a large company.

You might try calling Airxcel, the manufacturer. I'd think they'd have a network of service providers. You'll need to be specific to the basement air unit since they also make roof A/Cs:

https://www.airxcel.com/rv/coleman-m...mps/two-ton-he

If you're successful, let us know what you find out.

AirXcel also makes the mobile home and portable office A/C Units and yes they can be serviced by most home service companies since they all have common DNA so to speak. The gent who services my home A/C took one look at the basement air on my 2001 Adventurer and loved it. No crawling on the roof and the control box with the capacitors and relays that are the most common source of failure are easily accessible. A good A/C and Refrigeration tech can replace the compressors and other parts with standard items from Graingers and other local Residential A/C parts suppliers. As long as the coils are still in good shape and the housing is not rotted out there should be no need to replace the entire unit.
Old 05-18-2020, 12:06 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

I have found the best pricing for the replacement basement air is as below. They ship free and no tax if required in your state. Check them out, might help you save some initial cost to cover installation. Model # for new unit is 46515-811
Dyers RV
4122 W Innovative Dr
Suite 105
Phoenix AZ, 85086
632-266-3022
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 08:48 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

This is great information. Thanks