Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-03-2021, 08:21 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Basement AC Removal Dilemma (photo included)

Hi folks, well.... I definitely have a basement unit removal dilemma.

I have an HVAC tech that came out to service my unit about a week ago and we cannot, for the life of us, figure out how to get it out to be serviced. He did check everything he could (behind the steel plates on the left side of the unit) and that's all good but that's as far as he could get.

I am posting a photo below that I just took of the unit in the last half hour. The unit (at least the part with those fins) is taller than the access panel to get to it. How do we get this thing out?

It needs Freon. The vibration/rattle is deafening and that's with both my hearing aids OUT (I'm borderline legally deaf without them) and it's doing all kinds of weird things (needs some adjustments) in temps below 40 degrees. I'm in NC and it's been really cold here for some reason... they keep telling me this is not normal (near N. Myrtle Beach) but I'm using a lot of heat.

Anyway... how does this come apart to pull it out? He needs to get behind it.

On the off chance this cannot be done here on the lot in the campground I'm in (I'm a full timer) where can I take this thing to get it serviced? Does any dealership do that or should I go somewhere specific?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_20210203_093507.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	314.0 KB
ID:	177112  
Animalangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 08:30 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

any chance there is access above the unit, like under a bed or something ?
Old 02-03-2021, 08:37 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Nope. Bed only has air hoses under it and it's on the other side. Washing machine is above the air intake. There is an opening in the floor (the floor seems hinged) in front of the bedroom closet but you can't seem to access anything there either. It would be like trying to lean over and work in a well on your stomach. Can't really open it far enough to get a good look because the bed has to be removed to be able to open the floor more than a couple inches.

ALSO - From underneath the RV it appears to be sitting right on the chassis frame which is why I think the vibration is so bad... whatever gasket or padding was there is disintegrated IF that's the cause of the noise. That's what the HVAC tech thinks is the problem with that. Also.... the RV only has about 2 foot (at best) clearance under it and the unit is taller than that. The RV would have to be put on a lift to get it out but again... sitting on the frame so... I don't know.
Old 02-03-2021, 08:48 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I'd start viewing the many Coleman Mach basement AC videos on youtube, chances are at least one will show it being accessed for servicing.

Link: Coleman Mach basement AC on youtube

There's also several threads on irv2.com
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 08:50 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I've been looking at a bunch of them... none look like mine. I also just sent a message with the same photo I attached in my post here to Coleman to see what they can tell me about it. I just figured I'd try here in case anybody else had any ideas.
Old 02-03-2021, 11:17 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Did you find this write-up?

http://www.rvforum.net/miscfiles/Bas...attredirects=0

The procedure should be pretty much the same no matter what MH you have.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 11:24 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Yes, I have that printed out and that's what we were using. My unit is not like the one in the photos...my unit is TALLER than the compartment it is housed in.

If you look at page 4 of the instructions you attached, it shows where you can remove screws at the top of the unit; 3 on the top right and 3 on the top left. Now go back and look at MY photo....those screws are non-existent so there is no way to remove it. That's why I posted this thread. My unit is not installed the same as anything I've found online so this does not apply to my system at that particular stage.
Old 02-03-2021, 11:48 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I should mention that there's something wrong, or WAS something seriously wrong, with this RV from a former owner.

Someone went to very extensive and expensive lengths to hide a lot of I don't know what. All the cabinetry inside is like brand new and yet there were kids in here at some point because there was a massive red kool-aid stain on the front curtain in front of the passenger seat. I found little kids puzzle pieces crammed into the crease of the couch as well. The carpeting was all replaced (different color - I found remnants of the original) the floor was replaced with laminate (which is somewhat damaged), it appears that all the padded vinyl ceiling was replaced (and not very well) because it sags in all the cabinets like it was never even glued down in the first place (its new because the backing it yellow, not crunchy and aged), I found massive water damage in the bedroom and behind the bathroom counter (I've opened the walls there and have an appt at the factory for them to repair the wall). The water damage is because the bedroom slide if off kilter. The wheels directly under it are fubar and the wheel well sits ON the sidewall of the tire under that corner as well so I have an appt with freightliner to check that out on March 31 and there is also a hole in that wheel well (verified by flashlight at night after opening the bedroom wall to dry it out) where water from the road is/can be thrown up inside that wall furthering the water damage........ I could go on. NONE of this was noticeable at time of purchase from a dealer (I also purchased it "as is" so have no recourse).

My point is that its entirely possible the previous owner put in a different basement air system that simply cannot be serviced. I mean.. there's so many other things that I'm finding that just don't make sense.... why not? I just bought the motorhome in April 2020 and I'm still finding things I had no idea were in here. It's my first motorhome (I did have a travel trailer prior).

For now... I just want to know how to get the heating system out so it can be serviced.

If anybody out there on this forum was the previous owner, PLEASE private message me and tell me what I need to know to fix this. I don't care who you are or what you did, I just need some insight.

I'm a senior female, alone and a full timer. Without the motorhome, I'm homeless. It would really help to know what I'm dealing with. The money for the Freightliner and Factory wall repair are from the sale of a small house in NY that just sold in October. I have less than $20,000 to work with. I won't hold you responsible but it sure would help to know what I'm dealing with so I don't get any more surprises.

The vehicle was traded in at Lazy Days in Florida, then the dealer I got it from bought it off them. It's a beautiful rig and I want to, have to, keep it.
Old 02-03-2021, 12:46 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

It would help if you identified the year and model of your motorhome. On our 2005 Journey 36G there are four 5/8" bolts on the bottom of the frame that the ac sits on. Loosening those four bolts lowers the entire unit by a couple of inches to clear the top of the compartment and then the ac unit can be slid out to sit on a platform to be serviced. Of course you need to disconnect the ductwork before lowering.
Old 02-03-2021, 01:34 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by neub View Post
It would help if you identified the year and model of your motorhome. On our 2005 Journey 36G there are four 5/8" bolts on the bottom of the frame that the ac sits on. Loosening those four bolts lowers the entire unit by a couple of inches to clear the top of the compartment and then the ac unit can be slid out to sit on a platform to be serviced. Of course you need to disconnect the ductwork before lowering.
You beat me to it!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 02:07 PM   #11

OP: You have a lot of emotion because you "don't know what you don't know."

Would it help if I told you your basement AC is probably original?

Here are a few other suggestions:

* Focus on what you said: "It's a beautiful motor home."

* Read about your repair before you start a project. Consult this forum and www.IRV2.com. Watch U-tube videos!

* Don't take your RV to Freightliner or Winnebago. You can't afford it and it's not often the best option. Instead, you need to build a relationship with someone you can trust where you live.

These schematics apply to my Basement AC, but your system is probably identical.

* As for this AC repair, so we can help you, what is the problem with your Basement AC? ...You don't always need to remove the AC to work on it. What have you done so far? I.e., checked or replaced your start or run capacitors?

* What is the exact model of your AC? ...And learn how to post pictures on this forum.

* The fact your AC tech does not know how to remove the AC suggests he has never repaired one of these. That's not necessarily a problem, but hopefully he EASILY checked your electronics first. To do that you do NOT need to remove the Basement AC from the frame!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1 Coleman Basement AC #6535-671 Spec Sheet.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	177121   Click image for larger version

Name:	6535-671 Wire Diagram (OEM) Hard Start Kit .jpg
Views:	107
Size:	243.6 KB
ID:	177122  

Name:	6535-671 Wire Diagram (Coleman 2-Ton) AC.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	372.0 KB
ID:	177123  
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 05:02 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Ok, first of all the make and model of my motorhome is stated in the signature of every post I make. It's a 2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD.

What I have is a Coleman Basement Air 6535-671.

Second of all, There are a couple of screws at the base of the unit but it doesn't "drop down" to be slid out. We had those screws out and the only thing it did was allow us (me and the HVAC tech with 30 years experience) to remove the steel cover over the Blower Motor which appears to be brand new. The capacitors are also new. The wiring is in excellent shape. He was able to check everything he could see... the problem is we cannot get being it to check the compressors or figure out what the heck is making all the noise back there. It is low on Freon/R22 in compressor 1 but compressor 2 is good. I do not know how he was able to check those levels without access to the back but that's what he said.

Of course, I will check again about the screws at the base of the unit to be sure in case we missed something.
Old 02-03-2021, 06:31 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

It looks like the access door is only to a horizontal position? Am I seeing that right? It should open more, a complete 180° from the closed position. Like in the RVForum link. Would that help?

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 06:43 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

My access door has hinges at the top so if flips up but it will only open up till it touches the slide out (unless I bring it in and I don't need to). It does completely clear the way for the heating/ac unit to come out except for the fact that the unit is taller than the opening it needs to slide through. Did I answer that to your understanding?
Old 02-03-2021, 07:06 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

If I remember right there are retainer plates held on with screws that need to be removed. And pull out the piece of insulation board on top. There is a very detailed article by Duner on ivr2. Also be very careful removing the duct work before sliding the unit out.
Old 02-03-2021, 07:11 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Hi, yes, I've seen Duners info, that's what I printed out (all 33 pages) and what we were using. MINE does not have that metal piece at the top with the screws. That's the whole point of this thread. I need an alternative method. See the picture I attached in the very first post.
Old 02-04-2021, 04:57 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animalangel View Post
Hi, yes, I've seen Duners info, that's what I printed out (all 33 pages) and what we were using. MINE does not have that metal piece at the top with the screws. That's the whole point of this thread. I need an alternative method. See the picture I attached in the very first post.
As i mentioned above (and rvgtexan agreed) there are four 5/8" bolts on the bottom (like underneath) the frame that the ac sits on that if you unscrew those bolts the ac frame with the ac unit sitting on top lowers down a couple inches to slide the ac out. If there wasnt a foot of snow I would crawl underneath ours a take a picture. And btw, signatures dont show up when using the mobile site so it does help to id your unit in the text. Good luck
neub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 06:03 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Page 31 of duners ac procedure also mentions lowering the unit by unscrewing thos four bolts (not screws)
Old 02-04-2021, 07:56 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Wow! This discussion has gotten heated.
Ours needed service and no AC shop around here wanted to work on it, so I took it to an outfit that works on large tour buses. I've forgotten their name right now, (old age), but while I went in to fill out the papers the tech dropped it out of the frame and was already working on it when I came back.

Where are you located?
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 08:00 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

OK, it was ABC Bus located in Faribault, Mn.

ABC Companies
1506 30th St NW
Faribault, MN 55021

(507) 334-1871
Open until 5:00 PM
abc-companies.com

They are a large company with shops in several states. BTW, not all of their shops work on RVs though.
They treated us fairly.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
removal