Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-08-2021, 09:22 AM   #81
Site Team

It’s a common refrain... “I didn’t do the PDI run through because of X.”

This is the single biggest issue we see here. The RV owner is massively handicapped when this happens.

Dealers want to minimize the process and new owners don’t understand the importance of a long detailed run through.
Old 02-08-2021, 07:02 PM   #82
Winnebago Watcher

No
rlbarkleyii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 07:53 PM   #83
Winnebago Watcher

Newer models of all brands no longer use the HVAC basement unit. I probably would be cheaper in the long run to install. two roof units. Don't know why they changed, some say because of new EPA freon requirements. My unit is a RVP 6535 2 ton High Efficiency Heat Pump made by RVP not Coleman if you need repair guide or want to compare I can send you pdf repair manual. email me rlbarkleyii dot gmail dot com, glad to help if I can. I too am a full timer and know how it is to be in a fix.
rlbarkleyii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 09:46 AM   #84
Winnie-Wise

Back to Animalangel:

We survived those two weeks with 110 and up to 118 last June, by getting two portable a/c units, one in the bedroom, one in the living room. The living room one had a big power draw so we ran the cord out the window to the power pedestal, plugged into the spare 30amp socket.

Worked great until the middle of the afternoon, then all they could do was create a cool bubble around themselves. Then we grabbed the cat, hopped in the car, and drove around for a few hours (remember Covid had everything shut down) the car's a/c was wonderful.

When the sun was down, or in the morning, the two little units could keep the rv in the 70's with no problem, even when over 100 outside. But in the heat of the afternoon, even 97 wasn't attainable.

We had all the windows on the afternoon sun side, insulated, we did every trick in the book. All sorts of things got too hot, even the connectors on the sewer hose, softened enough to leak (took me a month to figure that out, and replace them. RV's are just not designed to be out in the sun, in those temps, for an extended period of time.
Old 02-09-2021, 09:54 AM   #85
Winnie-Wise

As I understand Winnebago's explanation on switching out from the basement a/c units, it was because of the addition of the DEF equipment took all the room that the basement units were installed in. OK, I can see that, but, what about gas Class A's, no DEF there.

And to install the ceiling units, Winnebago had to lower the inside ceiling height do to re-enforcement and install two or three units to replace the one.

I really believe that Coleman & RVP had cut back production of the units in the very slow RV market of the 2009-2010, and it was a supply issue.

Personally, I really like my basement unit, maintenance issues aside. It is quiet, puts out lots of cold air (or warm with heat pump) and works very well for us.

Tags
removal