Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-02-2021, 05:14 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Basement AC / Heat draw

I have a 2006 Adventurer with the basement unit. I noticed when I pulled it out of winter storage this year when I plug it into AC power I hear a click behind the AC coil and I get spark at the plug from the draw. It does not do this on house batteries but concerned this is a draw on my batteries since I've noticed a draw on those as well. If I unplug the 9 pin connector for the thermostat on the controller circuit board This condition does not happen.

Thoughts?
Dunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 06:28 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunks View Post
I have a 2006 Adventurer with the basement unit. I noticed when I pulled it out of winter storage this year when I plug it into AC power I hear a click behind the AC coil and I get spark at the plug from the draw. It does not do this on house batteries but concerned this is a draw on my batteries since I've noticed a draw on those as well. If I unplug the 9 pin connector for the thermostat on the controller circuit board This condition does not happen.
- Not sure what you mean by "ac coil". Air Conditioner or Alternating Current??
- If AC, you should never have AC turned to "ON" when plugging in/disconnecting shore power.
- When on AC power the AC/Heat pump can operate. When on house batteries it will ignore ac/heat pump being turn on as you only have 12v power available.

More info??
Old 05-08-2021, 10:43 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Yes behind the Air Conditioning coil. The Air Conditioning is not on when I plug into 110 power. The thermostat is in the off position, that why it's strange that something is energized.
Dunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 11:18 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Point of order, sir?
Step one to plugging unplugging the cord and avoid damage from arcing is to ALWAYS flip the shore power breaker off before moving the cord!

Whether there is draw from air conditioner or other high draw things, there will almost always be some arcing as converters, and other things draw power, so it is just a rule in most of the manuals to turn off the breaker, plug in and then turn the breaker back on.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 12:18 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

My inverter/ charge is right beside the ac and does "hummm" when powered and doing its job, especially after the rig has been unplugged. BUT, as mentioned, the shore power plug should not be "live" when plugging in / the breaker to that outlet should be turned off.
Old 05-08-2021, 01:12 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Just theory but you may be seeing the surge as the start capacitors charge up????
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 07:03 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

When you plug in without a time delay device in the electrical bay such as a Surge Guard or Autoformer you will hear the clunk of the transfer switch when its energized which from a distance can sound like its coming from behind the basement air unit.

Tags
heat