Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-06-2019, 03:50 PM   #1
04 Winne Ult Advantage

Antifreeze

Hi Everyone,

What a day. I have a 2004 Winne Ultimate Advantage diesel pusher with a 370 Cummins Diesel Engine. I am a newbie and have only owned the rig for a few months. Due to improper weatherization over the winter my heating tank sprung a leak. I decided to take on the project and it came to a halt when I discovered that I have a heat exchanger and when I took off one of the hose attachments antifreeze came pouring out. I was able to finally get the hose back on before I lost too much fluid. However, I am concerned about my fluid level. I went to check my level and discovered that I am not sure how to do that. I am also not sure how to change my water heater tank without loosing the rest of my antifreeze. Please See pictures. I need help, please!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FD779CE4-0CD9-43DB-A2B6-95051B8CC9BF.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	304.0 KB
ID:	171550   Click image for larger version

Name:	08A879EF-5E44-4FD8-A7B5-8A91B0752EC1.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	208.4 KB
ID:	171551  

luce61906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 04:11 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

A set of hose pinch tools may solve the antifreeze loss problem, I have a set of the plastic ones with the ratcheting handles.

https://www.sears.com/search=craftsm...pinch%20pliers
Old 05-06-2019, 10:50 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I have (essentially) the same setup in my 2002 Ultimate Freedom. When I replaced my water heater I knew I was going to have some engine coolant (antifreeze/water) solution loss so had a couple of bolts the same diameter as the hose ID ready (along with some hose clamps). Stuck the bolts in the hose ends and clamped them down and took my time changing the water heater.

When I put it all back together I installed two shut of valves in the engine coolant lines in case I ever had to pull the water heater again.

As for checking coolant level, see that clear plastic nut looking thing on the side of the coolant tank? When cold, coolant should be at that "window".

Lenp
lenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 03:04 AM   #4
04 Winne Ult Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenp View Post
I have (essentially) the same setup in my 2002 Ultimate Freedom. When I replaced my water heater I knew I was going to have some engine coolant (antifreeze/water) solution loss so had a couple of bolts the same diameter as the hose ID ready (along with some hose clamps). Stuck the bolts in the hose ends and clamped them down and took my time changing the water heater.

When I put it all back together I installed two shut of valves in the engine coolant lines in case I ever had to pull the water heater again.

As for checking coolant level, see that clear plastic nut looking thing on the side of the coolant tank? When cold, coolant should be at that "window".

Lenp
Thank you for the information. I like your idea of the bolts. The window is not reading any fluid. I went on the Cummins website and they recommend FleetguardŽ Compleat ES™ for the coolant. I looked in the coolant reservoir and there appears to be some corrosion or deposits in the tank. I am wondering if adding fluid is the right thing to do. I am concerned about taking my rig to get serviced not knowing if I have enough fluid. I have not stated the engine since I leaked out the fluid. Does a light usually go on the dash if you don’t have enough fluid? I am thinking I should call the Cummins repair facility in the morning.
luce61906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 06:35 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

If you have a Freightliner XC chassis you should have a low coolant light.
ArtDeCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 06:57 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

In looking at the low coolant sensor on your coolant tank, you have the four wire sensor which means that you can use the OAT coolant that Cummins recommended. My only thought would be do you presently have the OAT coolant in your coach or is it still the old DCA coolant which probably came with the coach when it was built. If I were you, I would use this opportunity to flush the coolant system completely and then refill it with the coolant that Cummins recommended -- especially if you are seeing some rust. Just my thoughts.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:36 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Some folks use vise grips to clamp the hoses, but if not careful they can damage the hoses. What color was the coolant that came out? My 03 UA came with ES Compleat ... blue. I had it replaced a couple of years ago with OAT coolant ... red ... because you don't have to monitor the balance as carefully.

No overflow bottle? As mentioned above, you should see coolant in the site glass with a cold engine. If it is too low you will have a screaming alarm ... impossible to miss!