Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-21-2021, 10:06 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Air Filters, can I Use these?

We have a Mach Coleman basement A/C and use the air filter at the intake. But wondering if we can double down using circular filters in the ceiling air vents that blow into the house?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16295619204376821068881441804367.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	372.2 KB
ID:	180609  
TheArthurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 10:22 AM   #2
Site Team

You know, those look just like plain-old foam. I believe you might be better to consider what I did at the intake-side of the air conditioner:
Carbon Filter Fabric in a 22M
I normally never see air filtered at the exhaust-side of HVAC units.
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 08-21-2021, 11:23 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
You know, those look just like plain-old foam. I believe you might be better to consider what I did at the intake-side of the air conditioner:
Carbon Filter Fabric in a 22M
I normally never see air filtered at the exhaust-side of HVAC units.
Thanks, Eagle5
Thanks, I figured as much but guess was looking for validation ☺

Looking forward to our next Chapter!!
Old 09-02-2021, 10:01 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I also have a RVP/Coleman-Mach 24K basement heat pump. The OEM green mesh screen is very ineffective and allow dirt and dust (cat and dog hair) to clog the evaporator coil.
I switched to using Filtrete brand pleated air filters. It catches so much more dirt and dust I had to replace it once a week at first, then as the MH became cleaner I could change it once every 2 weeks; now I can change it once a month.
I did this because I have COPD and it has really helped my sleeping and breathing. A side benefit is the evaporator coil is staying clean..
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 06:42 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Ray!

Looking forward to our next Chapter!!
Old 09-03-2021, 09:14 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Would't those be filtering the cooled filtered air? Might be a good idea if your vents have dust/mold in them from not cleaning evap filter often enough.
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 05:49 PM   #7
2002 Journey WPK36GD

I was at National RV Refrigeration in Shipshewana, IN about 3 years ago with our 2002 Journey DP. It was in for repair due to 2nd stage failure. In the process of repair, the Amish guru/owner told me that I was over filtering the air and it was mandatory to use a more free flowing filter because one of the best ways to need repairs was a restriction of airflow that causes the basement air to over heat and go into shutdown. He said to use cheap filters like the blue loose weave $1.99 type and change them monthly. We get ours at home depot and change very often. No problems after his fix.
CharlesMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 06:27 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I have had no problems using paper filters for the past 19 years, and changing the filter monthly when fulltiming. (paper filter is what my coach came with). I change less often in part time use ... the trouble is remembering to do it. A clogged filter in ac mode will cause the outside coils to freeze over resulting in reduced air out the ducts. A clogged filter in heat pump mode will trip the high pressure switch & shut down the unit ... I have done both when I "forgot" to change the filter.
Old 09-06-2021, 03:18 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesMoore View Post
I was at National RV Refrigeration in Shipshewana, IN about 3 years ago with our 2002 Journey DP. It was in for repair due to 2nd stage failure. In the process of repair, the Amish guru/owner told me that I was over filtering the air and it was mandatory to use a more free flowing filter because one of the best ways to need repairs was a restriction of airflow that causes the basement air to over heat and go into shutdown. He said to use cheap filters like the blue loose weave $1.99 type and change them monthly. We get ours at home depot and change very often. No problems after his fix.

That is the official Winnebago and RVP company line printed in your owners manual.. They know from past experience most people will not monitor filter condition, then the unit fails from clogged evaporator coil (air cooling mode).
A man on irv2.com heeded my advice, removed his green mesh "filter", reached his arm down enough to touch the evaporator coil. He said it felt like a rug instead of fins. He was going to pull the unit and clean everything then service the unit. The previous owner had cats.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-06-2021, 08:36 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

I forgot to add; I use Filtrete brand pleated allergy filters 14"x20"x1" because I have COPD. These require replacement approx. every 2-3 weeks when living in the MH.
I haven't noticed any negative actions from my basement unit since we bought the MH in 2013.
Old 09-07-2021, 08:08 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
I have had no problems using paper filters for the past 19 years, and changing the filter monthly when fulltiming. (paper filter is what my coach came with). I change less often in part time use ... the trouble is remembering to do it. A clogged filter in ac mode will cause the outside coils to freeze over resulting in reduced air out the ducts. A clogged filter in heat pump mode will trip the high pressure switch & shut down the unit ... I have done both when I "forgot" to change the filter.

Its easier and cheaper to replace the pleated filter than the have to get a bung brush to reach in and clean the evaporator coils loaded up with dust by reaching in through the filter opening on a Basement Air unit. Rinsing it out afterwards can be a lot of fun too. The extra dollar or so to replace the pleated filter after a 2 week vacation is minor compared to the campground fees and fuel costs.

As for the original posters question, you really do not wand to pressurize your main distribution duct by restricting the outlets with filter pads and chance blowing a seam which will likely be in the most inaccessible spot behind the coaches rear cap.