Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2021, 10:31 PM   #21
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
A+++ Now we getting some where. That proves you have some sort of Energy Management System.
Not necessarily. I have no Energy Management System, but the Onan 4000 micro quiet will not delivery power until it has run for 1 minute. I think it's a circuit board inside the generator.
Old 09-06-2021, 06:15 AM   #22
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhannah View Post
Not necessarily. I have no Energy Management System, but the Onan 4000 micro quiet will not delivery power until it has run for 1 minute. I think it's a circuit board inside the generator.
With all respect....

I think your post actually proves my statement of …

"That proves you have some sort of Energy Management System."

Would you not agree that your statement of "I think it's a circuit board inside the generator is some sort of Energy Management System?

The OP was concerned of putting load on too early and causing damage. My post #14 cited at least two levels within my coach. OP confirmed that he has the delay for power inside so coach, so he has some sort of energy management was the only point I was making.

OP has not responded, but I suspect he may have two forms because it is likely that after 1 minute when power is supplied to the ACs; it will further delay based on the energy management system within the AC units. My ACs do not start to come until 2 min after power is supplied which is 3 min after genset has started; and it is always AC#1 first followed by AC#2 shortly thereafter.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 06:17 AM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Running generator

Quote:
We spent 2 years looking at all type of RVs. For us the Sunstar / Vista 29VE was by far the best for us. Although it was more expensive than all of the other units we compared it with, there was thing that it did NOT have that I absolutely had to have. That is the EC-30 Onan Cummins AGS. It comes standard with the Adventurer model but that coach was $20k more While the Adventurer was a clear upgrade the EC-30 was the only thing it had that we wanted. Since it basically was the same coach, I had the Winnebago install the EC-30 AGS in my coach exactly the way it is wired for Adventurer, but I took it a step further by having them connect the shore power sensor before the ATS. This was my very 1st Mod

The way it works.

When EC-30 is in Auto or Quiet Time modes, it monitors House & Chassis battery voltages as well any calls from our main front cabin area HVAC. So if the AC is set for 78 degrees and it is in auto modes, The thermostat will try to call the AC#1 to turn on if it hits 79 degrees, that same call goes to my AGS which in turns turn on genset on so the AC(s) can run. The Genset starts and runs 1 minute because before anything happens because the PCS is controlling the energy loads, once power is on; there is another 2 minute delay because of the Coleman ACs have built in delay.

So on a really hot day, with no shorepower, my genset does not have to run 24/7 to keep the coach cool We do the same thing when driving. Yes like most folks the front Chassis AC is generally enough, but when it is really hot it can be 85 degrees or higher in the back of coach, we set Acs for something like 81 or 82, just to keep it somewhat comfy and not too much pressure on chassis AC, if the kids are with us we may set it for 78 or 79.
ive had my coach for 16 years with the auto transfer switch and I’ve never used it.just never got around to play with it but I run the gen all the time but I like your idea of setting it up to run when ac calls for it. Never thought of that. One other thing that maybe some are not aware is that there is a timer delay inside that had failed and we suffered all the way back with no ac one trip and I called manufacturer and got new board, but the technician said there is a manual override of timer which if I knew ,we could have had the transfer over and had gen power in case someone else comes across with no power. Thanks for the tip on setting it up to kick on when needed
Crabbyjerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 05:40 PM   #24
Bill 37F

I attended the Winnebago GNR this summer and spoke to the Onan people they said that they have a Bluetooth Auto generator start system that costs about 250 bucks and can be hooked up to any Onan generator very easily.
Old 09-06-2021, 09:19 PM   #25
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adven2011w24 View Post
I attended the Winnebago GNR this summer and spoke to the Onan people they said that they have a Bluetooth Auto generator start system that costs about 250 bucks and can be hooked up to any Onan generator very easily.
Update: This is what I have found

Did they say you would have to disable the EC-30 to use? Based on the Y harness, you may be able to use both?

My first reaction off the top of my head (still some open questions) I do think it is interesting that it has it own sensor so you can save a lot of money by not have to wire to an existing HVAC call.

1. Can I still have my phone connected to Motorhome's bluetooth stereo to play music and list to Waze?
2. I can see trying to work the AGS while driving or being shut out to change settings when in motion
3. Are they saying no wiring? How is it gonna know voltage on House & Chassis batteries?
4. How will it know if Shorepower is on or off ( I know #3 and #4 can be done but if it takes wiring 1 hour could eat the labor
5. How do you connect to safety locks i.e. ignition, parking brakes etc.

Short of that , I got my $250 ready to go, how do I order
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 09-07-2021, 06:34 AM   #26
Bill 37F

I don't really know any more about it but I did find this link.

https://shop.cummins.com/CSSNAStore/...n-kit-a065u664
Old 09-07-2021, 09:41 AM   #27
Winnie-Wise

If you changed the the thermostat to a Microair Easy touch RV, you could start the generator from the dash, and then use your phone app to call the A/C to turn on. Same with shutdown.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 10:50 AM   #28
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOweather View Post
If you changed the the thermostat to a Microair Easy touch RV, you could start the generator from the dash, and then use your phone app to call the A/C to turn on. Same with shutdown.
Can you help me to see the benefit?

Today with the AirExcel Thermostat when it gets to set temperature it calls the EC-30 and starts the generator, AFTER 1 min power supply delay, and 2 min AC delay and the AC(s) automatically turn on. There is nothing to manually start or turn on, it is all automatic.

Also when temperature desired is reached and AC compressor shuts off, the genset will in turn shut itself down.

This might be a product marketed for those that do not have a EC-30 already? But if the cost for parts is $350 when you add all of the required wiring options ( 2- 3 hours), I think it make actually be more than what I paid dealer to install my EC-30? Don't know if I like having to use my phone evertime, I wish to do something with the genset? But would love to have the phone as as option to see and view what I have currently setup away from Coach.
Old 09-07-2021, 05:13 PM   #29
4 K9 FUN

We have 2019 Vista 29VE. I would love something like the EC 30 as we travel with our 3 dogs and they get hot.
Can this still be done - after the fact?
Venner5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 07:38 PM   #30
Winnebago Master

Quote:

The 2014 27N with the Onan 4000 Micro Quiet came with the PowerLine® Energy Management Systemas standard equipment. Its in the One Place panel and is shown above the thermostat on page 3 of the brochure for that model.

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/Imag...ital-bro.X.pdf
Old 09-07-2021, 07:45 PM   #31
Winnebago Master

Quote:
We spent 2 years looking at all type of RVs. For us the Sunstar / Vista 29VE was by far the best for us. Although it was more expensive than all of the other units we compared it with, there was thing that it did NOT have that I absolutely had to have. That is the EC-30 Onan Cummins AGS. It comes standard with the Adventurer model but that coach was $20k more While the Adventurer was a clear upgrade the EC-30 was the only thing it had that we wanted. Since it basically was the same coach, I had the Winnebago install the EC-30 AGS in my coach exactly the way it is wired for Adventurer, but I took it a step further by having them connect the shore power sensor before the ATS. This was my very 1st Mod

The way it works.

When EC-30 is in Auto or Quiet Time modes, it monitors House & Chassis battery voltages as well any calls from our main front cabin area HVAC. So if the AC is set for 78 degrees and it is in auto modes, The thermostat will try to call the AC#1 to turn on if it hits 79 degrees, that same call goes to my AGS which in turns turn on genset on so the AC(s) can run. The Genset starts and runs 1 minute because before anything happens because the PCS is controlling the energy loads, once power is on; there is another 2 minute delay because of the Coleman ACs have built in delay.

So on a really hot day, with no shorepower, my genset does not have to run 24/7 to keep the coach cool We do the same thing when driving. Yes like most folks the front Chassis AC is generally enough, but when it is really hot it can be 85 degrees or higher in the back of coach, we set Acs for something like 81 or 82, just to keep it somewhat comfy and not too much pressure on chassis AC, if the kids are with us we may set it for 78 or 79.

I installed an EC30 in my 2001 Adventurer years ago since I traveled with a Giant Akita and could not leave her in the coach in a parking lot at an event without the AC here in the Florida Sun. Put up the Genturi Stack and set the EC 30 to auto so the generator only runs when its really required which saves a lot of fuel. Have it programed for quiet hours and it will auto-start to top off the house batteries when needed too when your not plugged in. I've never gotten around to hooking up the power failure sensor however that is a great option too have. You need a 12 volt transformer hooked up to the power line side of the transfer switch for that to work.

Yes its a little tedious vetting out the correct wiring to tap into along with run the long wire to the cab for the ignition switch connection that shuts down the system in case you forget to whenever you start or shut off the engine to lower the chances of your accidentally leaving the generator on Auto-Start when parking it for storage/maintenance or when stopping for fuel.
Old 09-07-2021, 08:03 PM   #32
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venner5 View Post
We have 2019 Vista 29VE. I would love something like the EC 30 as we travel with our 3 dogs and they get hot.
Can this still be done - after the fact?
Short answer is yes. We had Winnebago Dealer install the EC-30 AGS in our 2019 Vista 29VE a few months after purchasing the RV brand new. I bought all the parts I needed to save money and paid the dealer to install. By using a Onan Authorized Dealer the warranty for everything was extended to that f the Generator. I love the EC-30 and is my favorite toy

You now have a 2nd Option for EC-30 AGS+ which is Bluetooth. My guess, and I don't know.... is that the cost to purchase & install either will be about the same? The only thing I see is fort sure cheaper is the fact that with the Bluetooth model, you do not need to wire to the Thermostat for HVAC calls. They haver separate Sensor (s) because you can have up to 3. Why 3 does not make sense to me? Technically we could have wired both thermostats but the it was more money and we did not need the MBR thermostat calling the AGS, just the main cabin.

I am waiting to learn if I can hook up just the bluetooth and see settings from EC-30 using the apps? I doubt it though... From what little I know, there is no way I would prefer the Bluetooth over the current EC-30. It would drive me crazy having to pull out my phone, connect to bluetooth every time I wanted to check something? But I will wait more information along with everyone else

Before and after AGS pictures. I had it installed to the right of the panel with the hour meter . It is easier for my wife to reach and see.

A plus when driving with the EC-30, you can see the red light and you know when generator is running.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3675.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	204.1 KB
ID:	180783   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200905_085634.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	180784  

Old 09-07-2021, 08:31 PM   #33
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
I installed an EC30 in my 2001 Adventurer years ago since I traveled with a Giant Akita and could not leave her in the coach in a parking lot at an event without the AC here in the Florida Sun. Put up the Genturi Stack and set the EC 30 to auto so the generator only runs when its really required which saves a lot of fuel. Have it programed for quiet hours and it will auto-start to top off the house batteries when needed too when your not plugged in. I've never gotten around to hooking up the power failure sensor however that is a great option too have. You need a 12 volt transformer hooked up to the power line side of the transfer switch for that to work.

Yes its a little tedious vetting out the correct wiring to tap into along with run the long wire to the cab for the ignition switch connection that shuts down the system in case you forget to whenever you start or shut off the engine to lower the chances of your accidentally leaving the generator on Auto-Start when parking it for storage/maintenance or when stopping for fuel.
Yes sir, you know the EC-30 inside out

When they 1st installed mine, I was doing those great built in test diagnostics when I noticed that it kept telling me no shorepower sensor The dealer stated same item you state about the wiring and transformer etc. We split the cost and they added the additional wiring to put sensor BEFORE ATS. I love it. I love to have in AUTO Mode drive up to Campsite or Home keep everything running while we unload etc and when I connect the Shorepower, it will automatically shut down the generator. It also will not allow me to start the genset if I already have shore power (if in AUTO MODE)

Attached is my 12VDC transformer/converter. I also like the having the 110 plug outlet on the service side of RV. I use it all the time for powering up something. Perfect example is to power up a antenna that may plug into the same compartment
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200904_155132rotate.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	180786  
Old 09-08-2021, 06:22 AM   #34
Winnebago Master

DK - I know mine like I do because we got a bit more quality time together since I did the installation myself. The one gotcha was that the big dog would occasionally defeat it by hitting the storage switch by the door cutting power to the thermostat. Someday I will put some sort of cover like they do on a fighter jets control panel to prevent accidentally setting off something that goes BOOM!

One thing I don't like about it is the rubber membrane they used for the buttons got sticky after a few years or so. I don't use any cleaners or wax on it or hand lotions myself so I have to believe its simply the rubber degrading from the Florida Heat while in storage.
Old 09-09-2021, 12:25 AM   #35
Winnie-Wise

DKOldMan - Agreed. Sorry if I was abrupt in my answer!
Old 09-09-2021, 12:37 AM   #36
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
The 2014 27N with the Onan 4000 Micro Quiet came with the PowerLine® Energy Management Systemas standard equipment. Its in the One Place panel and is shown above the thermostat on page 3 of the brochure for that model.

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/Imag...ital-bro.X.pdf
Wow thanks for that brochure. I simply didn't get that Powerline unit installed in my rig for some reason. It seems like something they would add to a 50 amp setup, and most of the 27n's were 30 amp, so what the heck??

I also don't have the two horizontal switches just to the right of the water heater. Any idea what they do?

This is very weird - my unit is loaded with every factory option except the overhead bunk, which I didn't want. Maybe I got a very early model for 2014. Or maybe the powerline just went in to 50 amp units....
Old 09-09-2021, 05:58 AM   #37
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Wow thanks for that brochure. I simply didn't get that Powerline unit installed in my rig for some reason. It seems like something they would add to a 50 amp setup, and most of the 27n's were 30 amp, so what the heck??

I also don't have the two horizontal switches just to the right of the water heater. Any idea what they do?

This is very weird - my unit is loaded with every factory option except the overhead bunk, which I didn't want. Maybe I got a very early model for 2014. Or maybe the powerline just went in to 50 amp units....
The two switches should be covered in the Operators Manual however I believe those are on the 35B which has two bathrooms so you can select between displaying the holding tank levels for the front or rear grey and black tanks..

The Powerline EMS is optional on a 50 amp unit since with the twin 50 amp circuits that can usually run everything without having to stage and shut things down, switch the fridge to gas, etc while on a 30 amp coach with its single main breaker its really needed to orchestrate things.

Personally though even when I had my first coach which was a 50 amp coach with a 7kWh generator I never stayed at a campground that had a 50 amp service so always needed the EMS. Not having an EMS would put a coach out of consideration for me to purchase.
Old 09-09-2021, 07:06 PM   #38
Winnebago Master

Quote:
DKOldMan - Agreed. Sorry if I was abrupt in my answer!
We good, you were NOT abrupt to me, but I appreciate the gesture anyway.

One thing though, a lot of folks on the the RV forum see old man in my username. I guess it is because of the demographics of the forum?

I am actually a long ways from a old man. My last name is Coleman, my first name begins with a D. So for years I have always selected a user name of DKoldman because I am basically 100% assured to get that login ID every time So it is really D Koldman

So I am good with D, DK, Koldman, or DKoldman, but the Old Man makes me laugh I guess if I live long enough it will one day be true
Old 09-09-2021, 07:50 PM   #39
Winnebago Master

[QUOTE=dkoldman;3904867]We good, you were NOT abrupt to me, but I appreciate the gesture anyway.

One thing though, a lot of folks on the the RV forum see old man in my username. I guess it is because of the demographics of the forum?

I am actually a long ways from a old man. My last name is Coleman, my first name begins with a D. So for years I have always selected a user name of DKoldman because I am basically 100% assured to get that login ID every time So it is really D Koldman

So I am good with D, DK, Koldman, or DKoldman, but the Old Man makes me laugh I guess if I live long enough it will one day be true [/QUOTE

Nice to see folks not take life too serious and be able to talk about their last names as something that they had little choice about.

Personally, I have had three things that folks have given me grief about and none of them are things I could change!

One is the fact that my father was German and I grew up in a rural area when German was not a good thing! I was the Kraut kid that got run out of stores long before I knew what a Kraut was supposed to be! There's not a single group in America that doesn't have some low brow name we could apply!
Unfortunately my father's last name also started with the letters C<R<A<P< which still makes for fun times in the lowbrow group!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator