Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-22-2020, 03:46 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

AC coils sweating and ac leaking inside

This is a 1990 Winnebago Elandan. I was leaking water inside from the Coleman ac. After inspecting everything the coils are sweating and then the fan picks up the water and blows it in. Is there supposed to be a drain for that? could they be sweating cause the unit needs freon?
Captdennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 05:03 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Check for stopped up drains and this is a semi normal thing as debris is often getting in through the vents, as well as rain. Best to remove the cowl and do a complete clean of things like the fins so that you get better use of the cooling.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 07:02 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

done that

I checked all that and the obvious drains in the pan are fine but the water is building up below the coils and gets to a point that the fan picks it up and throws it inside. Should there be drains under the coils inside the compartment by the fan?
Old 08-22-2020, 07:40 PM   #4
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captdennis View Post
This is a 1990 Winnebago Elandan. I was leaking water inside from the Coleman ac. After inspecting everything the coils are sweating and then the fan picks up the water and blows it in. Is there supposed to be a drain for that? could they be sweating cause the unit needs freon?
What is the OUTSIDE temperature when you are running your AC? I ask, because if it were below, say 65-70 degrees, you AC might have frozen up the coils, and the when it defrosts, you have excess water?
Old 08-23-2020, 08:38 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

temp?

It happens mid day while the temp is 90. I live in Florida
Old 08-23-2020, 01:16 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

If you are getting between 20 and 22 degrees differential on the AC output vs temp inside the rig, the unit is probably performing just fine. If yes, even if not obvious, there is a drain problem somewhere since the water normally flows over the roof (or through the roof if it has enclosed drains) and away from the AC unit itself. Sorry we can't be more specific.
IOS 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 06:43 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks everybody I think I found the drain problem. Sometimes it's the simple stuff. Thanks all
Old 09-03-2020, 08:47 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

drain problem

Care to share what you found?
gordelbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 03:26 PM   #9
WinnieAdven38

As suggested by others - there is definitely a drain under the coils to allow the condensed water to drain away rather than freeze up the coils or get blown through the vents. This applies to all A/C units - house A/C as well as the engine A/C. Had a problem with our engine A/C suddenly blowing little air inside - but when we stopped for a bit saw LOTS of water dripping down from under the heater box. Turns out the drain hose got clogged with dirt & debris. Cleaning it out fixed the problem!
HappiHenri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak