Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2020, 06:05 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

A/C vent leaking water

I have a 2011 Journey 40u. Recently everytime there is a heavy rain and the next time the A/C comes on, about a quarter cup of water comes out of the vent mid cabin just over the sofa. Anyone had a similar situation or any idea what's causing it and how to fix?
Rgreen44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 02:44 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I had a similar problem that was corrected by removing the A/C shroud and cleaning the drain port that was clogged. I used a bleach solution.

As water condenses it drains into the pan and trickles out onto your roof via a small port(s). If they're clogged the pan will fill up and the water will overflow into the interior.
Old 05-30-2020, 03:35 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

X2 Plus you may want to tighten the four bolts that secure the AC to the roof. I found that if they are a little loose you do not get a good seal causing water leakage.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 10:41 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

My ac has a condensate pan with a pump that pumps po s the water down a tube to the rear of the coach. Just had them all replaceas two were defective. That has not corrected the problem. As I said it only happens after a heavy rain.
Rgreen44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 10:11 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Been there done that - all of that. First it was leaking down a light fixture in the front so assumed it was the front AC. Mobile repair came out and tightened the screws/bolts on all three AC's. Be careful as those bolts are not meant to squash the gasket, just compress it a little.

Anyhow, after that fix and a few weeks later in another downpour it starts coming in from a different light fixture, now more towards the middle AC. Fortunately we didn't hit any more rain and we were on our way to Lippert and then Master Tech RV in Elkhart.

When the techician came down off the roof he said that as he was climbing and his head cleared the edge of the roof he could see a space under the seal of the 2nd AC. It was not drawn up. Apparently someone did some repairs to it, maybe even replaced it, or just time took its toll but there was a gap. He said he was going to replace the seal and draw up the roof to the gasket line with new bolts. I had them replace all 3 seals.

No more leaks - but hey, that was my problem. Could be any of the ones mentioned. Just remember that the bolts on the AC are not supposed to compress the gasket flat, just tight enough to make a seal.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, vent, water