Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-05-2022, 05:07 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

A/C Melted Ground Wire 2017 Vista 35LX?

I found my issue on our 2017 vista 35lx a/c it was a melted white ground wire in the control box going to a separate board that other ground wires went to. My question is why did this happen? Its 5 years old now, we are second owners, haven't quite had it a year. We do use a electrical surge when we are at a site. At home we just have a 30 amp plugin and used at wisely... Any electricians out there thats may shed dome lite on this???
Quickuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 06:57 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Any chance it is not actually a ground wire but just another wire which is white? Colors are not always the same from item to item, so maybe something is fooling you into thinking it is ground?

That's wild guess as the other option is that there was some contact from voltage to that wire and it did give the power a path to ground. But for that, I would think there was another wire which carries that power and it should be damaged too!

I have to agree with what you find as you can see better, but I might think it more common for the white wire to carry power and rub on some metal, etc. to get hot and melt the insulation.

But you do have a good question! When ground wires get hot, I think of something else getting hot, too.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 06:59 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

No dought its a ground...I asked a friend thats a license electrician. That the other wires going to the same board were negative for sure
Old 07-06-2022, 10:41 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

2 reasons for a ground wire to overheat, loose connection being the most common and second is when another ground path is lost and current finds it's way back thru whatever paths are available, sometimes overloading one of those alternate paths.
Old 07-06-2022, 01:57 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Time to check and tighten all electrical connections . Power cord to RV connection , check plug for discolor or burnt . All connections in breaker panel . All connections in A/C . Maybe your friend could help you for a few beers .
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 02:00 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Is the wire in question on the 12 volt control side or the 120 volt side?
Old 07-06-2022, 09:18 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Not sure what you mean, its inside the control box on a separate board with 4 to 5 other ground wires, the wire in question run over to a relay inside the control box. New controls box came in today nut it was wrong ones, I have a coleman and this fits a airxcel, figures good old amazon.
Old 07-11-2022, 06:57 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickuc View Post
I found my issue on our 2017 vista 35lx a/c it was a melted white ground wire in the control box going to a separate board that other ground wires went to. My question is why did this happen? Its 5 years old now, we are second owners, haven't quite had it a year. We do use a electrical surge when we are at a site. At home we just have a 30 amp plugin and used at wisely... Any electricians out there thats may shed dome lite on this???
I'm not questioning your friend here and I don't want to put him down. RV systems are a bit strange. Grounds don't carry current unless something goes wrong and the hot gets shorted to ground.
The white wire is more likely a neutral. As stated above, a poor connection will cause the wire to heat and melt. I have had wires to the relays on the controller board melt and damage the relay. I have replaced both the relay and the wire with great success.
Old 07-11-2022, 07:39 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
I'm not questioning your friend here and I don't want to put him down. RV systems are a bit strange. Grounds don't carry current unless something goes wrong and the hot gets shorted to ground.
The white wire is more likely a neutral. As stated above, a poor connection will cause the wire to heat and melt. I have had wires to the relays on the controller board melt and damage the relay. I have replaced both the relay and the wire with great success.
Which is why it's unclear whether or not the OP is referring to the 12 volt or the 120 volt side. 12 volt grounds, or negatives, do carry current. It sounds like 12 volts to me from the description "its inside the control box on a separate board with 4 to 5 other ground wires".
Old 07-11-2022, 07:55 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Ill replace box today with one from Airxcel as they makebthe Coleman control, who knew. The plugin for thermostat wires is a supplied pigtail that I have to splice together. At that point will get a betterblook at damaged box and advise those who want to know.
Old 07-12-2022, 03:38 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Final update, new control fixed rear ac. Ended up with extra yellow wire for gas heater which doesnt matter because front thermostat controls gas heater.150.00 later on parts and im happy..