Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2022, 03:22 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

A/C Evaporator Coil Freezing

New Dometic Brisk II 15k AC and I'm having an issue where the top half of the evaporator coil is freezing up. The freeze sensor is installed almost halfway up, but the ice stops short of the sensor so the compressor never cycles off once it freezes. I've opened up the plenum and confirmed that the ducts are well taped and not blocked in anyway.

Was reading that low charge could cause freezing but when the AC is working before the freeze I'm getting a 20 degree difference between hot and cold side. I live in a very dry climate also, so excess humidity shouldn't be an issue.

Can I just move the freeze sensor higher in the coil?
Old 09-08-2022, 06:12 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Sounds like gas charge is not quite right, possibly over/under charged?
But I would also want to make sure any air flow around it is clear.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 07:30 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Is the fan running on Auto or low? Have seen freeze ups in humid climates when fan is on low speed. The techs I worked with in Florida always said to keep the fan on auto or high. The 20 degree difference is proper if was lower or higher it would indicate a problem.

You mentioned you’re in a low humidity area, that was not the case in SW Florida, need to have a tech or former service writer from Arizona reply.
Old 09-23-2022, 09:43 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

The freeze up happens with the fan on high also, just takes a bit longer to occur. I've done just about everything I can to improve the airflow also. I'm going to have a tech take a look and see what they say. Probably won't be able to get it to freeze when I have my appt though!
Old 09-23-2022, 05:52 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Inspect the plenum that separates chilled air and return air. It should be sealed tight,no chance for both sides to mix.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 02:07 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Had a tech look at it yesterday and they couldn't figure out why it's freezing either. Going to try to get Dometic to replace at this point.
Old 10-01-2022, 05:20 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NV_Camper View Post
Had a tech look at it yesterday and they couldn't figure out why it's freezing either. Going to try to get Dometic to replace at this point.

Given those results, I agree with Morich, it's refrigerant charge level.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 12:42 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Closing this one out, they don't really know the why but the fix was a whole new unit. Dometic shipped out the new one with the fan blades stuck in the foam shroud so it required some persuasion to fire up the first time but is working now at least.

And since it is winter it is now time to replace my furnace sail switch...