Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2021, 01:51 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2020 1708FB, No heat

2020 Micro Mini 1708FB, Left for the weekend with two full tanks of propane, other appliances work with no issues. Noticed it was cold this morning when we woke up. We have no heat from the furnace. It will come on and blow cold air for about a minute and shut off. Finished the weekend cooking breakfast on the stove and the fridge worked fine on propane for the drive home.
Google-fu has identified a "flag switch" possibly? No idea, is there anything I can look at that might be a simple fix before I call the dealer and attempt a warranty repair?

Edit: I pulled the cover, have propane, have good voltage, LED indicator is blinking and according to the manual, "limit switch/air flow problem". I cant find the reset for the "sail switch" and dont have any vents or exhaust blockages. I am now stumped.

Thank you,

James
Old 02-14-2021, 02:33 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

The more I look the more I am convinced it is the sail switch. Do I have to remove the heater from the cabinet to reach it or is there another way?
Old 02-14-2021, 03:16 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

The switch you are speaking of is somewhat like a sail, in that it fits in the channel where the airflow for the furnace blows it (sails?) to let the furnace be sure there is adequate airflow before letting the gas valve open. This is the way they make sure not to pump the RV full of gas!!!! A GOOD thing but it does make problems at times.

First question might be if there are screens to keep things like wasps, mud daubers, etc from crawling into the vent and building nests? One of the more common problems with the sail switch is that bugs build a nest on the switch and it stops it from moving or the channel is blocking and not enough air moves.

You know where the intake and exhaust vents are? While the fan is running, before it shuts down again, feel for good air movement at the exhaust as it should be enough to feel.

Not much airflow? Means you may have it blocked and need to do some work to get the channel opened. This may be as simple as running a wire in and banging it around and then sucking the junk out with a vac or it may take lots more.

But there can also be real problem like the wire to the sail switch may have come loose, have a bad board, etc. but that is a good time to follow a troubleshooting guide for your model furnace. They can usually be found online, using the brand and model number of the furnace.

Normal operation?
turning on thermostat, starts blower
the sail switch moves and starts a time delay before the gas valve opens and the gas is lit.

But the troubleshooting will be much more helpful. Good luck as you seem to have it located and the sail switch is located somewhere in the path from the intake vent and the outlet exhaust. Where will depend on which furnace and the furnace manual will give better help???
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 04:14 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thank you for the reply. The manual was not that useful, except for the error code regarding the LED flashing indicator. It appears I need to remove the furnace to access the sail switch as my camper has no rear access to the heater. I believe I know what I need to do, just need a clear day in my schedule to get it done. I do have good air flow at the intake vent and at the exhaust, as well as at the vents.
Old 02-14-2021, 04:25 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I’m subscribed to this thread as I am interested in the outcome here. If you do pull the furnace, it’d be really nice of you to take a few photos and describe the process. The furnace and fridge are the two things I’m not looking forward to working on myself. My furnace didn’t work at all initially. Luckily it was just that they forgot to flip the maintenance switch to “on” after installation (and luckily I could reach it). I blame my lack of a thorough PDI on covid.
Old 02-14-2021, 04:30 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtrack15 View Post
I’m subscribed to this thread as I am interested in the outcome here. If you do pull the furnace, it’d be really nice of you to take a few photos and describe the process. The furnace and fridge are the two things I’m not looking forward to working on myself. My furnace didn’t work at all initially. Luckily it was just that they forgot to flip the maintenance switch to “on” after installation (and luckily I could reach it). I blame my lack of a thorough PDI on covid.
Absolutely, will be happy to take pictures and provide a step by step. The more I read the more I am convinced the sail switch is dirty. We camp with our dog more often than not and he sheds a great deal. Once I found out animal hair can easily foul the switch, it sealed the deal. I dont have time this week to work on it as I travel for work and I leave Tuesday till early March, but will update this thread when I do work on it.
Old 02-14-2021, 05:51 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09busaman View Post
Thank you for the reply. The manual was not that useful, except for the error code regarding the LED flashing indicator. It appears I need to remove the furnace to access the sail switch as my camper has no rear access to the heater. I believe I know what I need to do, just need a clear day in my schedule to get it done. I do have good air flow at the intake vent and at the exhaust, as well as at the vents.
When you mention the manual, are you speaking of the manual that may have come with the RV, or there are times when we can get a more complete manual by looking online??
If you are able to get a wiring diagram to show where the sail switch is located, it may be possible to check the sail switch with a meter to see for sure it is the problem to avoid taking the whole thing out???

Just a thought but the switch is just a simple set of contacts that open and close, so if one has access to the wires where they connect on the board (guessing there!) one could use a meter on ohms to look for a full path up to the switch and back and then when turning the blower on that path should change. I've lost track of whether it is open and then closes or the opposite but it should change from one state to the other if it is operating right.

This is a link to one type of sail switch for RV to see that it is not a big fancy think but just a microswitch with a sail attached! And you can see that a mud dauber might easily build a nest to stop it moving. They have a way of finding just the right spot to mess with us!!
https://pantherrvproducts.com/dometi...RoCNAYQAvD_BwE
Old 02-21-2021, 06:53 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I had the same problem with my WinnieDrop17S last fall in Montana. I called two Winnie dealers. One told me how to field strip my heater to find the problem. The other said he could get me in for repair in 3 weeks. I called Winnebago corporate and they recommended I call a local repair shop. After 2 nights in motels on the way home I went to my dealer. His Winnebago factory trained mechanic spent 3 hours trying to find the problem. He finally located a reset button which solved the problem. The reset button is on the inside of the trailer frame at the right front corner as you face the front of the trailer You will need a Phillips screwdriver to remove the cover plate. It’s a small black button. I wrote a letter of complaint to corporate Winnebago and all I got was a call from the VP of public relations thanking me for contacting them. Tha factory trained mechanic said that’s typical of corporate Winnebago. Corporate attitude is the manufacture of the individual components of any Winnie arm the responsibility of the
Individual manufacturers and not Winnebago. Good luck
1Albert2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 09:08 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Sail switch

I have had this problem before. From the outside of the trailer where the vent is located, removed the black cover. On the fan housing you will see a small black plastic unit secured by a couple screws. Your sail switch is inside. Mine had a small cob web on it keeping it from moving. A couple years later it happened again so I lubricated the switch and have had no problems since.
Happy trails!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	265C820B-774B-414A-A393-228665CCC282.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	414.7 KB
ID:	177456   Click image for larger version

Name:	1078B61F-2D81-4CE0-8B59-F24727A85B3A.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	332.0 KB
ID:	177457  

Sanfordja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 10:16 AM   #10
Winnie Owner

quick fix

Had a similar problem which I traced down to operator error (mine). I had opened the propane valve but not all the way. Was sufficient flow to run the appliances but not the heater....which cycled just the way you are describing. Maybe it's that easy?
jarnarcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 01:10 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Hi guys, I know it has been a while since posted but with my work schedule and moving from Reno to Tulsa I have not had time to get it out of storage and work on it. Today was the day. We head to Tahoe Tuesday night for the week while my wife finishes her work week and then off to Durango, hence, we needed heat! I was going to take pictures and do a write up, but we have a ton of stuff to do in the next couple of days so we can vacate this house. Here is a thread I found online and the instructions are spot on.
https://scottshephardphotography.com...urnace-removal
I will admit I did not disconnect my battery, just turned off the propane and bled the lines, and pulled the fuse.
I also only pulled the vent from the exterior wall by removing the 4 screws.
Just a little learning lesson, I pulled the sail switch out and cleaned it. Checked continuity with a multimeter and once verified good I reinstalled it. Reconnected the electrical and slid it back into position. The wire bundle was long enough to remove it from the cabinet, but since it was so long it bunched up behind the furnace and I had to reach into the cabinet and pull it aside so the furnace would fully slide in. In doing so, inadvertently turned off the reset switch so once I got it all buttoned up I had nothing when I tried to turn it back on. I pulled the furnace from the cabinet a second time and turned the switch on, and verified operation before I reinstalled it.
It works just fine now and I pulled a ton of dog hair from behind the intake vent on the floor below the furnace.
Thank you for all of the help guys, I have a warranty but we all know with a little information and the right tools we can fix many things on our own.

If anyone has any questions please feel free to hit me up. I know how frustrating it is when things do not work as they are supposed to.
Old 04-25-2021, 07:54 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Wow!! That was a good write up with all the photos. I am glad mine was a much easier fix as the Sail Switch is accessible from the outside on the 2018 2401RG Minnie. Having to take out the whole furnace to gain access is whole different level.
Glad it worked out for you though!!

Happy Trails
Sanfordja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 07:59 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanfordja View Post
Wow!! That was a good write up with all the photos. I am glad mine was a much easier fix as the Sail Switch is accessible from the outside on the 2018 2401RG Minnie. Having to take out the whole furnace to gain access is whole different level.
Glad it worked out for you though!!

Happy Trails
It was a good write up and helped me immensely. Not a lot to the components, just have to remove and put back appropriately. I wish mine was accessible from the outside, but now that I have done that twice I can manage rather quickly on the road. Well, as long as it is just the sail switch.
Old 04-28-2021, 08:02 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Update, we awoke this morning at 0400 and had no heat. Grr... I pulled the furnace from the cabinet at at 0600 and checked the sail switch again, it was fine. I am not sure what to do at this point. Anyone have any ideas? I was going to call my warranty hot line later today but expect the usual "we cant get you in, or you need to bring it in, and it will be 2 weeks."
Old 04-29-2021, 09:05 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Wow!! Sorry to hear this. So frustrating!! Are you still getting the blower starting but no ignition so it it turns off which is the typical thing that happens with a sail switch issue? I would be curious to hear what the warranty people have to say.
Old 04-29-2021, 09:13 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

I would certainly go for the best info possible and that is often from the folks who build the furnace. They are often posted online and give very detailed info on both how the unit is built, installed and removed as well as very complete troubleshooting charts.
With the model number in hand, have you tried looking for those manuals? There is a current posting from another forum member which has this furnace and if yours is the same, use the same manual:
https://manuals.heartlandowners.org/...11-05-2015.pdf
Old 05-03-2021, 09:25 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Thanks guys. I was unable to find a the switch I needed in the Reno area. We have a small electric that keeps it pretty cozy in the camper. I will find them or order them once we get to Oklahoma and to our final destination. I will be happy to update once I get the part.

Tags
heat