Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-11-2022, 10:04 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

02 Journey Basement AC leaking lots of water

We have an 02 Journey with a basement ac that is not working properly. We have replaced the filter. We've determined that both compassitors are working. It is pulling 22 amps on the generator. The air is blowing cold. We noticed there was an unusual amount of water coming from the AC. Any suggestions? Thanks
Trantham6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 10:30 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

If both compressors are running, you're drawing 22 amps and the air is cold, that's what I would characterize as working properly.

There's no water involved in the operation of the AC other than condensation. Your profile doesn't say where you're located but if you're in a humid environment, it's going to be more noticeable than it would be for me here in northern CA.

The volume is going to be a function of the ambient air temperature, the ambient humidity, how cold you're set your thermostat, etc. If you had a roof mounted AC it would be running off the roof. As one site put it, "if you don't see water dripping, it's not working". If you had a roof-mounted AC, you'd see water running off the roof instead of underneath your MH.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 11:22 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
If both compressors are running, you're drawing 22 amps and the air is cold, that's what I would characterize as working properly.

There's no water involved in the operation of the AC other than condensation. Your profile doesn't say where you're located but if you're in a humid environment, it's going to be more noticeable than it would be for me here in northern CA.

The volume is going to be a function of the ambient air temperature, the ambient humidity, how cold you're set your thermostat, etc. If you had a roof mounted AC it would be running off the roof. As one site put it, "if you don't see water dripping, it's not working". If you had a roof-mounted AC, you'd see water running off the roof instead of underneath your MH.
Thank you BobC. I understand that condensation and how that works. We are in the south and it is very humid. Seemed like way more water than usual though.
Old 07-11-2022, 11:54 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Just kick back and enjoy the cooling. There's no way any sort of failure will increase the condensate, exactly the opposite is true.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 11:55 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you. It is still very hot in here lol
Old 07-11-2022, 12:38 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

One thing to check... try reaching a hand inside the rear cap near where the ducts run up from the A/C to the roof vents. If you feel A/C cold air, then some of the taping around the ducts might have dried up and pulled loose, and you'll have to retape the joints.

Not an uncommon problem.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 04:20 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Ours leaks a lot too and as someone said, that is good. Do check the duct work in the back. I have had to work on mine several times.
Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 06:06 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

YUP! Agree with the others. One reason the air coming back to the inside is cooler feeling is that much of the humidity has been taken out and that winds up on the cool surfaces to collect and run out the drain. One bigger problem is that the drain may stop up at some point and make the water NOT run out but go someplace not wanted!

Here in Texas, we do not have as much humidity as I'm used to but it is far more trouble as the AC is in the attic and the drain has to be bleached out about every 3-4 months. It took a while to get used to that idea! Algea grows much faster when warm and humid.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 06:48 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trantham6 View Post
We have an 02 Journey with a basement ac that is not working properly. We have replaced the filter. We've determined that both compassitors are working. It is pulling 22 amps on the generator. The air is blowing cold. We noticed there was an unusual amount of water coming from the AC. Any suggestions? Thanks
As long as the water is going to the ground, that is a good thing. We had 97% humidity in Birmingham last week. Lots of water was coming out of the A/C drains.
Old 08-20-2022, 10:42 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I had to remove my basement air to replace a noisy fan on the compressor side. What I saw when I opened the top of the unit really surprised me. The interior blower side had been under several inches of water previously. Even to the point the squirrel cage fan had been slinging water. There was a small factory drain hole that was blocked. After cleaning the mess up I added a second larger drain hole. That hole seem to drain the water more than the original drain hole. Perhaps your housing is also retaining water too.
skitime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 12:11 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Something that is easy to overlook when we think about humidity is just human nature.

When it is hot and dry out, we tend to go about life in a normal way but when we find the outside weather is hot and very humid, we notice it lots more, sweat lots more and tend to take more showers!

All of that stuff does mean the air has lots more water to remove and lots more willrun out the drains--if it's working right!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 01:26 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I was able to find the pictures I took of the mess the water created when the drain was clogged. Keep an eye on that drain hole guys! BTW, I had no clue this problem was happening. Everything was working fine. Removed the unit to fix a noisy condenser fan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Message_1596307982631.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	315.3 KB
ID:	183876   Click image for larger version

Name:	Message_1596307961045.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	437.3 KB
ID:	183877  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200801_142829.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	232.1 KB
ID:	183878  
skitime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 06:13 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Clean the duckbill drain on the A/C pan bottom 2-3X a year. Debris stops it up and water fills like skitime's pictures and rusts things.
Ignoring regular maintenance has consequences..
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basement a/c, journey, leak, water