Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2021, 09:45 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Word to the Wise

While setting up, I added black water tank chemicals to the toilet. With the lid open, I added water using the foot pedal. While doing this, I decided to look in the medicine cabinet (above the toilet). Bad idea. A small tube of hand cream came flying out, and you guessed it, went down the toilet into the black water tank.

I have a macerator pump. If I don’t get the tube out, the toilet is out of commission for the next 4 days and DW would not be happy.

I first disconnected the the first valve under the toilet, which resulted in the predictable mess in the compartment. Still no tube to be seen. Had to reconnect the 1st valve under the tank, fill the tank with water and flush out the tube through an improvised sewer hose connection at the bottom of the valve, which normally is attached to the pump. Quite the mess. Luckily, the black water tank was flushed at the end of the last trip, but still made a mess and smelled horrible.

Lesson learned, never open anything in the bathroom with the toilet lid open.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	46B2482E-D819-4EFE-976F-ABF1872313EB.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	296.0 KB
ID:	177690   Click image for larger version

Name:	C8E70669-CCED-4193-8DFC-3F4B38B8C22D.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	572.5 KB
ID:	177691  

NYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 10:10 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Poor guy!
tesscr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 07:33 PM   #3
2019 Winnebago Sunstar 27

Holy Smokes NYer,

You have just gone through one of the nightmares that keep me awake at night! Funny (funny coinky-dink, not funny hah-hah) that you just had to suffer through this. Just a couple of weeks ago we were discussing on another page that the BW Macerator might be a single point of failure on our models; thread originated about possible winter damage to pump due to remaining fluid after draining. I opined that as there was no back up gravity dump readily apparent I would have to McGiver something to clean the tank.
Your picture has made it readily apparent to me what I need to do, and thanks for that!
I'm going to rig up a Fenco elbow just below the blade valve like the one you've removed and hook up a standard bayonet receiver flange that I can connect the hose to in the standard fashion.

So again, I'm so sorry for your nasty experience, and thanks again for sharing it with us - your misery will serve a whole bunch of us very well if and when this happens to us other 27P & PE owners.

And for what it's worth a couple of other nightmares; slide(s) and or levelling jacks wont retract
Lowdie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 07:41 PM   #4

Hey NYer,

Follow up question; are those water manifods your HW & CW low point drains or are they feed lines?
On my 27PE all low point drains are over on the drivers side in the wet bay, and I do not have any manifolds such as I'm seeing in your unit.
I've tried to search out the differences between the 27P (yours) and the 27PE (my model).
Old 03-11-2021, 09:59 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowdie24 View Post
Holy Smokes NYer,

You have just gone through one of the nightmares that keep me awake at night! Funny (funny coinky-dink, not funny hah-hah) that you just had to suffer through this. Just a couple of weeks ago we were discussing on another page that the BW Macerator might be a single point of failure on our models; thread originated about possible winter damage to pump due to remaining fluid after draining. I opined that as there was no back up gravity dump readily apparent I would have to McGiver something to clean the tank.
Your picture has made it readily apparent to me what I need to do, and thanks for that!
I'm going to rig up a Fenco elbow just below the blade valve like the one you've removed and hook up a standard bayonet receiver flange that I can connect the hose to in the standard fashion.

So again, I'm so sorry for your nasty experience, and thanks again for sharing it with us - your misery will serve a whole bunch of us very well if and when this happens to us other 27P & PE owners.

And for what it's worth a couple of other nightmares; slide(s) and or levelling jacks wont retract

Funny you mention the slides and jacks. I was talking to a friend yesterday and said the same thing. Worst case is everything works when you get there and doesn’t when it is time to go home.

Would be interested to see how you plumb the elbow. Assume you would have to use a “T” or a “Y”, so the you could still use the macerater pump.
Old 03-11-2021, 10:08 PM   #6

When I get around to that mod I will definitly be taking pictures and posting steps, lessons learned, what worked, what didn't etc.
Old 03-17-2021, 04:21 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Just curious, thinking a tube of hand lotion (oil) might actually float. Did you think about getting a ‘’grabber’ from autoparts store that mechanics use to retrieve something dropped in an inaccessible location? A ‘shot in the dark’ if the tube sank, but maybe retrievable if floating... might have to use a yardstick to stir things around into view.
Radioflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 04:37 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioflyer View Post
Just curious, thinking a tube of hand lotion (oil) might actually float. Did you think about getting a ‘’grabber’ from autoparts store that mechanics use to retrieve something dropped in an inaccessible location? A ‘shot in the dark’ if the tube sank, but maybe retrievable if floating... might have to use a yardstick to stir things around into view.

I looked down the hole of the toilet and the tube was nowhere to be seen. In order for it to float where I might see it, I would have to fill the black water tank to the top. The Sunstar 27P has an odd shaped tank and as far as I could tell. it was nowhere to be seen either at the bottom of the toilet or and the outlet of the black water tank. So, I replaced the valve at the bottom of the tank, put more water in the tank, and then opened the valve with a jerry rigged waste hose on the bottom of the valve. The tube essentially floated out when I opened the valve.
Old 03-17-2021, 05:06 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

My wife helps clean out the black tank by washing dishes in a tub of water, then dumping the soapy water down the toilet when she’s done. Works great. That is, until I asked her what that gasp and loud, “uh oh!” was all about. Seems she missed washing a fork and only realized it as it disappeared down the toilet.

Really wasn’t a problem. I just listened closely for a rattling sound when emptying the tank and one or two empties later a heard a faint metallic bumping sound and it was gone.

I’m too old for toilet diving and was happy to know that a fork was not too big to flush and drain. In case you’re wondering, no - we had no desire to recover and eat from that fork again!
VB2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 05:10 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by VB2K View Post
My wife helps clean out the black tank by washing dishes in a tub of water, then dumping the soapy water down the toilet when she’s done. Works great. That is, until I asked her what that gasp and loud, “uh oh!” was all about. Seems she missed washing a fork and only realized it as it disappeared down the toilet.

Really wasn’t a problem. I just listened closely for a rattling sound when emptying the tank and one or two empties later a heard a faint metallic bumping sound and it was gone.

I’m too old for toilet diving and was happy to know that a fork was not too big to flush and drain. In case you’re wondering, no - we had no desire to recover and eat from that fork again!
That would have worked except for the macerator pump
Old 03-17-2021, 05:50 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Nothing wrong with that ...
VB2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 10:17 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Movie skit!

Is there not a movie where the dumping of the tanks is a comedic episode within it?

Glad to hear this was not you!

Old 03-17-2021, 11:40 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowdie24 View Post
Holy Smokes NYer,

Holy crap Batman! Don't turn it on if you forget to winterise or it freezes for any reason. If the mascerator is a super duper pooper scooper and can deal with frozen chocolate logs then just maybe you might be able to get a really disgusting slushy coming out of the drain valve.
My father was a plumber and I was his helper when in my teens back in the late 1960s. "Holy crap Batman" was my usual response when taking apart commercial macerators and pumping units. The list of things we found was impressive to say the least!
reeman is offline   Reply With Quote