Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-22-2017, 08:31 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Winterizing ice maker

how to winterize the unit without running antifreeze thru everything
Old 10-22-2017, 05:34 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I understand if you open the feed line behind the fridge, it will drain itself.
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:25 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I use air to winterize and the electric water valve that feed the ice maker water is 120 VAC. If you temporarily power the valve the air will empty that line also.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:36 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Winterize

After just getting this coach I got to wondering how many water filters there are in it as well. They say there is one inside sink faucet, not sure if fresh water install has one or not, and the ice maker either.
Is the fresh water drain under the coach, or inside the door with low point drains.
The ice cubes are very clear, thats why I was thinking it also had its own filter.
Old 10-28-2017, 05:24 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I had the same question a couple of years ago and emailed Winnebago for an answer. The answer was basically power the solenoid that allows water to enter the ice machine which will then allow air and/or antifreeze beyond that point into the ice maker. The solenoid is powered up when the ice machine is at the ice making temperature. To bypass this and not have to turn on the refrigerator you need to power 110 volts to the solenoid. What I did was purchase a 10 foot brown extension cord (a couple of bucks at Walmart) and a in line lamp switch. I cut off the receptacle end and put on two knife connectors (matching the ones on the solenoid). I first took a picture of the solenoid so I wouldn't forget which wire went back where and then connected the wires to the Solenoid then I plugged in the cord in the inverter receptacle for power (in the cabinet below) and when I am ready I simply turn the in line switch on for less than a minute and in my case the antifreeze goes through and I turn it off when it starts to flow in the ice machine (observed by wife inside). Tip - make sure you mark the switch OFF and ON clearly so you don't end up having two exposed hot knife connectors.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 11:02 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggerlee View Post
After just getting this coach I got to wondering how many water filters there are in it as well. They say there is one inside sink faucet, not sure if fresh water install has one or not, and the ice maker either.
Is the fresh water drain under the coach, or inside the door with low point drains.
The ice cubes are very clear, thats why I was thinking it also had its own filter.
I would expect you to have one Everpure filter cartridge under the kitchen sink that filters both the filtered water tap at the sink and the ice maker in the freezer.

There should be a handle in your water bay you pull to drain the fresh water (looks like it may be just to the left of the outside shower faucet).

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:36 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

My Everpure / Shurflo filter went to both the sink and the icemaker. Getting a bypass valve from Amazon I was able to remove the filter and still pass air thru the system. Rather than energizing the solenoid at the source, I was able to find some diagrams of my ice maker (most seem to be the same) and there are little ports with letters.. you have to remove the plastic cover to expose the gears. Making a simple 6 inch piece of wire jumper, sticking into the two ports caused the solenoid to engage and in my case, air and water to spray out of the icemaker.

Looking at the icemaker panel it was two ports on the lower-left side, in kind of a diagonal arrangement. Ports "V" and "L" in this diagram.

Hope this helps!
spaceboy13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter