Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-28-2011, 01:26 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Winterizing

For the first time since we got our coach in 2002 we had to winterize it. I drained all the lines, tanks, and water heater, set the heater by pass valve and put the pickup tube in a gallon of RV antifreeze and turned on the water punp. To my surprise the pump tool all the antifreeze out of the container before I ever opened a faucet. I ended up using over 2 gallons of antifreeze to get all the pipes covered. I know it did not go in the water heater because I had the drain plug still out of it. Could not see anywhere else it could have gone.
Does it take 2 gallons to fill all the pipes? I would not have thought it would take more than half a gallon, but never done it before.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
SeaRay
Old 11-28-2011, 01:35 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Yes that is normal. It has been years since I used the oink stuff for water lines. I drain and blow them out now. If you have a washer and dryer combo make sure that u run it through a cycle. I normally use a half to 3/4 gallon in it alone
Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:34 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks. I forgot about the washer dryer. I'll have to get some more gook for it. Anyone think of anything else I may have not done? I did pour some in the u-traps and the commode bowl. One item I don't know how I would drain is the line to the ice maker in the fridge
SeaRay
Old 11-28-2011, 02:44 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Run it thru the toilet..My 25'tt takes one gallon. So I could see it real easy for a MH to take 2+ gallons. I un-screw my showerhose and let it drain. I reconnect it in the spring. If you have a outside shower you will have to make sure a little gets in that valve.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:13 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via ICQ to W8RLM
You might want to remove the water filter if you have a separate faucet for drinking water at the kitchen sink. There is a plug that replaces the cannister filter. If you don't have the plug, you should be able to get one at an RV accessory store.

I replace the filter in the spring with a new one.

On the Splendide washer/dryer, there is a filter behind the panel at the bottom front of the unit. I unsnap the panel and remove the filter to let the water drain that is in there. I then replace the filter and add the antifreeze to the drum and run the machine per the instruction manual. I can't remember which cycle they suggest - I think a rinse cycle for a couple of minutes. You may not have to drain the filter since you are adding antifreeze, but it is something that I do to make sure that as much water is out of the unit as possible.

W8RLM - Bob
Old 11-28-2011, 03:25 PM   #6

I just did my Essex and it took 8 gallons. Don't take a chance on anti freeze. Cost me $40. I pump mine through the maker up water line and open all the faucets and run one load on Splendide washer. Then I dump straight down the drains to keep the traps from freezing. Dump the Grey and Black and I'm done . at the most 1 hr. If you ever freeze a pipe in the wall ,you'll wish you had loaded her up. Cheap insurance.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:48 PM   #7
GG1
Winnie-Wise

7 gallons for an 07 Ellipse, plug the coach into electric and let the ice maker cycle a few times until antifreeze gets into the ice cube tray with the pump off, it may take up to 12 hours for this to happen. Your washer dryer has specific instructions depending on what model you have if you don't have the owners manual call Spendide tech support.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:11 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I use two gallons in mine.

One thing to watch out for is the short run of line between your hot water heater bypass valve and the hot water tank. There's water left in that short section of pipe and it will freeze. Ask me how I know.

I blow out the lines with air and run a small amount of pink stuff into the water heater before closing the bypass valve now.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:09 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

On the Splendide, set a WARM cycle and run until you have pink in the drum. Then advance the cycle to final drain to run it through the pump and trap.

On the ice maker, I remove the undersink filter and plug it before starting. Then disconnect the ice maker water line in the access panel behind the fridge. Let the top line drai while running pink into the lines. When it comes out the icemaker line, turn it off at the T valve under the sink.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:13 AM   #10

DO NOT fill the Icemaker with the pink. Think about it. Let the old water freeze. It won't hurt. Just drain the lines from the ice maker and water fill unit and plastic tye a sandwich bag to them. Remove the makeup water line and blow it out.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:43 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mo View Post
I use two gallons in mine.

One thing to watch out for is the short run of line between your hot water heater bypass valve and the hot water tank. There's water left in that short section of pipe and it will freeze. Ask me how I know.

I blow out the lines with air and run a small amount of pink stuff into the water heater before closing the bypass valve now.

We just purchased a 2001 adventurer this fall. When i winterized for the first time, I did the pump-the-antifreze method in the manual. It worked pretty good (I did something similar in our previous TT but not as easy). I did notice the water in the tube by the water heater as you describe but didn't worry too much ( a little!) because I followed the manual's steps. It was the only line that wasn't pink. I will have to go back and do what you did with the bypass to the heater. I'm glad I saw this info, Thanks!