Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2016, 05:39 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Winter travel - Fresh water tank

We just bought our first RV: 2017 Winnebago View 24G. We live in Canada and plan to go south (Arizona) this winter. It's a long drive and we will be in cold temperatures for a few days. We plan to boondock along the way.

I read inm different posts that se should add antifreeze in the black and gray tanks while traveling. Since the MH will be heated all the time, I'd like to know if it is safe to use the fresh water system (and the instant water heater) or if we have to winterize these components until we get to a warmer climate.

Thanks for the advice!
as000ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 05:57 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We left Minnesota last January 13th for Florida. I did not put any fresh water in the tank or system until we got far enough south to be at least in the 20's regularly. You need to look in your manual and see what the recommended temp is that you can use the system in cold temps. We did stay in hotels at night for the first couple. We do have a heated wet bay in ours, but depending on wind and temps, you could get a freeze up. You will go through a lot of LP too trying to stay warm.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:08 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by as000ll View Post
We just bought our first RV: 2017 Winnebago View 24G. We live in Canada and plan to go south (Arizona) this winter. It's a long drive and we will be in cold temperatures for a few days. We plan to boondock along the way.

I read inm different posts that se should add antifreeze in the black and gray tanks while traveling. Since the MH will be heated all the time, I'd like to know if it is safe to use the fresh water system (and the instant water heater) or if we have to winterize these components until we get to a warmer climate.

Thanks for the advice!
IMHO - you will need to get your Advice from another View Owner - Your COLD and my Cold are very different and I would tend to stay on the safe side and not push it till you really Understand It and Know It. Better safe than Sorry.

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 06:29 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

I travelled from the Sudbury, On. area right after christmas in our 33 foot Hurricane. We left the unit winterized until we got far enough south that freezing temps. was not a problem. We used rv antifreeze in the bathroom for flushing.

We have stayed overnight in the motorhome at -27F in northern Michigan. Furnace ran all night and we used a couple of extra blankets.

We now run the motorhome to Arizona in October and store the unit in our RV park. Reason for this is the motorhome does not handle well in snow and ice. Slid through a red light in Sault St. Marie, On. (I thank god that the other drivers could see me sliding and they were able to stop.). Also the salt used on the roads took a toll on the motorhome. ( cost over $1000.00 to repair my leveling jacks because of the salt corrosion.)

Norm
norml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:42 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Take bottled water to drink ... and a couple of milk jugs of water for washing hands, etc. We use windshield washer fluid to flush the toilet. The shower is a good place to carry the extra water and the windshield washer fluid.

You can wait until you get to warmer temperatures to dump your holding tanks.
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 04:18 PM   #6

I get nervous at 30......
LarryW21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 04:33 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We overnight at motels for the first 3 or 4 nights driving from Manitoba to Arizona. Quite likely we could sleep in the coach on the last two days of travel, but I like to be set up for a week to properly de-winterize and do whatever repairs are needed without feeling rushed. We leave MB in January and return at the end of March. I do winterize again northbound around Nebraska. So I get to winterize twice each year!!

Tags
fresh water, tank, travel, water, winter