Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2021, 01:04 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Winter RV'ing

I just bought a used 2004 Brave. The previous owners say that it is currently winterized with antifreeze in the tanks.

We are excited about our new adventure machine and want to use it before spring. Can we not just use the antifreeze water in the fresh tank to flush the toilet? We can drink bottled water and use disposable plates.

Obviously we cannot shower, drink, hand-wash, or dish-wash with the antifreeze water... but we should be able to use the potty... right?
MarkCoburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 01:17 AM   #2

Nobody puts antifreeze "in the tanks".

Just return your RV to service by flushing the lines. ...Fill the water tank and hot water tank and use all the creature comforts you have, and then just re-winterize your coach when you get back.

Sounds like it's time you learn how to do it yourself. Some RVs are easier than others, and there are different methods. Antifreeze at Walmart is cheap.

My guess is that you do not have a suction line in your water bay, but you can easily add one to suck the antifreeze right out of the bottle. ...And now you have a reason to learn about this subject and DIY.

What are the average cold temperatures where you store your RV?
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 04:44 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Mark
Welcome to the world of RVing, and learning!
My first question for you among many is where do you live? That plays a big part in the winterizing of your unit along with using it in early spring.

The RV antifreeze is a drinkable product, not saying I would drink it put it will not harm you. Where are you planning of getting the fresh water from on your maiden trip? If from the fresh water rv park you will be adding fresh water to the lines, thus you will have fresh water over a period of time. I you are planning of getting your water from the fresh water tank, I would drain and fill with fresh. Most folks do not add antifreeze to the fresh water tank in the winterizing process.

You really need to read either the manuals, if you have or start reading the forums to learn about you unit.

Here is a place to start, from here you can learn everything there is about your unit from electric to plumbing to total parts list.

https://www.winnebago.com/owners/owner-tools

Good luck and the main thing is enjoy your unit!!
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 04:51 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Welcome to a new set of friends! It's possible that the previous owner's comment re: antifreeze in the tanks describes the habit of many to put a little antifreeze in the waste tanks to protect the drain valves. In the process of winterizing some antifreeze ends up in the tanks as you flush the lines.

It should be unlikely that there's antifreeze in the fresh water tank. A better strategy is to completely drain the hot water heater and FW tank. If you choose to fill the FW tank - give it a good flush out to ensure any antifreeze is gone. Believe me - if the antifreeze is not flushed out completely you'll taste it.

For really cold weather get a small electric heater to supplement your propane heater. I really like having a couple of remote temperature sensors in the water and storage bays. Cracked waterlines due to freezing is a nightmare.

There's lots to learn to safely winter camp in below freezing temps - but it's doable. We all started from the same place - we didn't know much. Keep the questions coming...
Old 01-31-2021, 07:47 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCoburn View Post
Can we not just use the antifreeze water in the fresh tank to flush the toilet? We can drink bottled water and use disposable plates.

Obviously we cannot shower, drink, hand-wash, or dish-wash with the antifreeze water... but we should be able to use the potty... right?
Yes 👍
neub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 10:13 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

You dont say where you are going to camp. When we camp here in Michigan in the winter we use bottled water and a jug of water to flush than dump when we leave most parks turn off the water in the winter. Make sure you have some water in the gray tank to flush the hose. we put some antifreeze in the tanks and toilet to keep the seals from freezing. In the fall we put a heater in the wet bay to keep the pipes from freezing with a temp cube if you have water than a heated hose also. Good luck the winter is beautiful
Gordiegaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 04:56 PM   #7
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

If I understand the question

I’d agree with neub. I gather you plan on filling your fresh water tank with X # of gallons of antifreeze. Then just using the black water.

I don’t know if I’d do it but theoretically you could. A while back there were postings about camping in freezing weather. Some indicated having a cold weather option installed.
Old 02-13-2021, 09:47 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks imnprsd

Thanks imnprsd,

I found out the hard way that the black tank wasn't filled with anti-freeze. I went to dump everything; when I pulled the 2-part sewer hose out of the bay, the two parts came apart. For some unknown reason, they where still hooded up to the discharge and had more than a gallon of brown poop water in them. It all came out, filling the wet bay, covering my hands, arms, legs, feet with said substance. Once I put the hoses back together and started controlled dumping... the tank sealed full of the stuff that you normally put there.

I had an RV mechanic over the other day and we blew-out and winterwised the rig together. There is a suction-line. I didn't know until the guy showed me.

It isn't cold here in the Portland, OR area like it is from my hometown in Indiana. However, it is in the 20's now and that is expected for a couple weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnprsd View Post
Nobody puts antifreeze "in the tanks".

Just return your RV to service by flushing the lines. ...Fill the water tank and hot water tank and use all the creature comforts you have, and then just re-winterize your coach when you get back.

Sounds like it's time you learn how to do it yourself. Some RVs are easier than others, and there are different methods. Antifreeze at Walmart is cheap.

My guess is that you do not have a suction line in your water bay, but you can easily add one to suck the antifreeze right out of the bottle. ...And now you have a reason to learn about this subject and DIY.

What are the average cold temperatures where you store your RV?
Old 02-13-2021, 09:50 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

It isn't cold here in the Portland, OR area like it is from my hometown in Indiana. However, it is in the 20's now and that is expected for a couple weeks.

I will be reading up on the manual.

Thanks for the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by be happy View Post
Mark
Welcome to the world of RVing, and learning!
My first question for you among many is where do you live? That plays a big part in the winterizing of your unit along with using it in early spring.

The RV antifreeze is a drinkable product, not saying I would drink it put it will not harm you. Where are you planning of getting the fresh water from on your maiden trip? If from the fresh water rv park you will be adding fresh water to the lines, thus you will have fresh water over a period of time. I you are planning of getting your water from the fresh water tank, I would drain and fill with fresh. Most folks do not add antifreeze to the fresh water tank in the winterizing process.

You really need to read either the manuals, if you have or start reading the forums to learn about you unit.

Here is a place to start, from here you can learn everything there is about your unit from electric to plumbing to total parts list.

https://www.winnebago.com/owners/owner-tools

Good luck and the main thing is enjoy your unit!!
Old 02-13-2021, 09:53 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the welcome Lv2Roam2

I have now drained the hot water heater and the tanks.

Thanks for the advice on the heater. I also like the idea of remote temperature sensors in the bays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv2Roam2 View Post
Welcome to a new set of friends! It's possible that the previous owner's comment re: antifreeze in the tanks describes the habit of many to put a little antifreeze in the waste tanks to protect the drain valves. In the process of winterizing some antifreeze ends up in the tanks as you flush the lines.

It should be unlikely that there's antifreeze in the fresh water tank. A better strategy is to completely drain the hot water heater and FW tank. If you choose to fill the FW tank - give it a good flush out to ensure any antifreeze is gone. Believe me - if the antifreeze is not flushed out completely you'll taste it.

For really cold weather get a small electric heater to supplement your propane heater. I really like having a couple of remote temperature sensors in the water and storage bays. Cracked waterlines due to freezing is a nightmare.

There's lots to learn to safely winter camp in below freezing temps - but it's doable. We all started from the same place - we didn't know much. Keep the questions coming...
Old 02-13-2021, 09:59 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the advice Gordiegaffer

Pacific Northwest for day/weekend trips. Going to AZ for spring break.

Great idea about the temp cubes. I use them in the pump house at home with heat lamps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordiegaffer View Post
You dont say where you are going to camp. When we camp here in Michigan in the winter we use bottled water and a jug of water to flush than dump when we leave most parks turn off the water in the winter. Make sure you have some water in the gray tank to flush the hose. we put some antifreeze in the tanks and toilet to keep the seals from freezing. In the fall we put a heater in the wet bay to keep the pipes from freezing with a temp cube if you have water than a heated hose also. Good luck the winter is beautiful
Old 02-13-2021, 10:01 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Thanks guys, and I'll do some searching about cold weather options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neub View Post
Yes 👍
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7997redtail View Post
I’d agree with neub. I gather you plan on filling your fresh water tank with X # of gallons of antifreeze. Then just using the black water.

I don’t know if I’d do it but theoretically you could. A while back there were postings about camping in freezing weather. Some indicated having a cold weather option installed.

Tags
winter